6800 wheels durability?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

jchi1234

by jchi1234

Hello, I´m wondering if my 6800 wheels are strong enough for cyclocross and gravel grinding. For reference, I live in southern California and the dirt roads here are generally pretty hard packed with some potholes and rocks. Thanks in advance.

fromtrektocolnago

by fromtrektocolnago

I would contact Shimano directly on this. I've contacted them on their facebook page. If there are recommendations for off road use they will tell you. I would think larger tires would be the more important consideration however. Ultegra's are slightly lighter and more expensive versions of the tried and true RS81's and probably see 'some' abuse.
Colnago C-59 (Dura Ace)
Firefly(Ultegra)
Colnago C-64 disc(ultegra) with Bora 35 wheels

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

dfischer1

by dfischer1

I use the 6700 wheels as my CX race wheels. I'm 165 and they are plenty strong despite the fact that they have like five spokes.

jchi1234

by jchi1234

fromtrektocolnago wrote:I would contact Shimano directly on this. I've contacted them on their facebook page. If there are recommendations for off road use they will tell you. I would think larger tires would be the more important consideration however. Ultegra's are slightly lighter and more expensive versions of the tried and true RS81's and probably see 'some' abuse.

I'm going to be running 30c tires so volume shouldn't be an issue. How is shimano on responding to FB messages?

jchi1234

by jchi1234

dfischer1 wrote:I use the 6700 wheels as my CX race wheels. I'm 165 and they are plenty strong despite the fact that they have like five spokes.

That's good to hear, I'm about 115-120 pounds so I think I'll be fine, but have there been any issues? How old are they?

Broady

by Broady

I ran these wheels for over a year with no problems at all, have recommended to a few others too, for the price they're great, very robust.

mattr

by mattr

I've run far far less suitable wheels for cross. And recently I've been far nearer the 200lb end of the spectrum.......

The likely failures will be accidents or wearing the rims out. Just normal cx racing should be fine.

fromtrektocolnago

by fromtrektocolnago

jchi1234 wrote:
fromtrektocolnago wrote:I would contact Shimano directly on this. I've contacted them on their facebook page. If there are recommendations for off road use they will tell you. I would think larger tires would be the more important consideration however. Ultegra's are slightly lighter and more expensive versions of the tried and true RS81's and probably see 'some' abuse.

I'm going to be running 30c tires so volume shouldn't be an issue. How is shimano on responding to FB messages?

Done it once, and I received a response back in less than a few hours. My question was about the rear derailleur cable as it relates to 9000 & 9100. The response was timely, informative and useful.
Colnago C-59 (Dura Ace)
Firefly(Ultegra)
Colnago C-64 disc(ultegra) with Bora 35 wheels

F45

by F45

mattr wrote:I've run far far less suitable wheels for cross. And recently I've been far nearer the 200lb end of the spectrum.......

The likely failures will be accidents or wearing the rims out. Just normal cx racing should be fine.

XR31T wheelset - $300. Replacement rim, $75. Stiffer, wider, bead hook, normal $1.60 spokes, OC rear. Far, far better deal.

mattr

by mattr

Yes, there are probably better wheels for cross at that price. But there's nothing wrong with the 6800s. They won't suddenly explode as soon as they see dirt.

Briscoelab

by Briscoelab

They are rock solid and will be fine.

jchi1234

by jchi1234

Briscoelab wrote:They are rock solid and will be fine.

What about rs81s?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

F45

by F45

rs81 will have a rim about 100g lighter. They will perform the same and have the same drawbacks - break a component and it will be $$$ to fix.