Wheel Receomendations for my riding? (Endurance + climbing)

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

McGilli

by McGilli

We are talking about DRY weather riding only. Calliper brakes. I'm open to alloy and carbon or hybrids. Clinchers only please :)

DRY WEATHER RIDING DETAILS:
Distance Per Year = 15,000km average
Elevation Per Year = 160,000m average
The following is based on a week with 7 sunny days Throw in a rest day now and then... Wet days get my rain bike subbed in which has disc brakes.

3 days per week = short slow flat land rides (20km - 60km / 0m)
2 days per week = short ride with category 1 or HC climbing (80 - 100km / 1,500m)
2 days per week = long mountainous (200-400km / 4,000m - 6,000m)

So what is a great set of wheels that can climb well, but go the distance, and take the occasional unmarked pothole or bunny hopping over a dead animal (and debris) on the side of the road :noidea:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

istigatrice

by istigatrice

Something like a Kinlin XR31T/XC-279 or Pacenti SL23 with white industries hubs in a suitable spoke count for your weight should fit the bill. Should pop out at around 1500-1600g. Some might say this is a little heavy for a 'climbing wheel' but the Kinlin rims are strong, and I have no qualms about climbing on a set of XC-279 rims, even though I have wheels with much lighter rims on them.

If you're a lighter rider and more concerned about weight (rather than aerodynamics) and prefer to use skinny tyres (e.g. 23mm or below) try the XR-200. Another option would be the BDOP alloy build kit LT, which is quite a good option if you want a wide internal width, alloy rims and are a light rider on a tight budget.

There are also plenty of decent factory built alloy wheels if you're unable to get a set of wheels built up. The new Zonda/Shamal c17 and Mavic Ksyrium range (with 17mm internal rim width) are quite nice if you're running 23-25mm tyres. If you're not fussed about a wide rim the Shimano c24 range is also worth a look (rs81 or dura ace depending on your budget).

If you want carbon there are plenty of threads about open mould carbon rims (affordable - slightly more expensive than the above alloy builds). The branded options speak for themselves.
I write the weightweenies blog, hope you like it :)

Disclosure: I'm sponsored by Velocite, but I do give my honest opinion about them (I'm endorsed to race their bikes, not say nice things about them)

sawyer

by sawyer

Well, if you can afford it then I'd go with Bora One 50 / Fulcrum 40C clinchers
----------------------------------------
Stiff, Light, Aero - Pick Three!! :thumbup:

Multebear

by Multebear

My first thougth would be Enve 3.4 with White Industries T11 hubs. Boras is not a bad choise either.

But you might want to narrow your choices down to either carbon or alloy to begin with. It's easier to give advice, when that's established. Otherwise there are to many possibilities, and carbon will almost always win over alloy, if pricetag isn't of concern.