Lightweight Ventoux - were they always built with 10 speed hubs?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

McGilli

by McGilli

Were the older LW Ventoux always able too accept 10 speed cassettes?

Or did they come out before 10 speed?

These are the ones with the carbon/kevlar bonded spokes.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

kgt

by kgt

Campagnolo or Shimano? Campagnolo 9 speed was compatible to 10 speed too. Don't know about Shimano.

Fabian

by Fabian

Hi McGilli,
Shimano 10-speed cassettes are always compatible with Shimano or DT 8-/9-/10-speed freehubs.
Same with SRAM 10-speed cassettes.

I had a little fitting issue with the combination Ventoux Gen. II (April '07 / light version with Tune Mag160 hub) and the SRAM Red OG-1090 cassette. But TUNE replaced it very fast and for free. Newer TUNE freehubs with the "holes" will fit the OG-1090.

Regards
Fabian

McGilli

by McGilli

Ok thanks - I was meaning to add Shimano

Cuz a friend said someone he knows might sell his Ventoux - so I looked them up and didn't realize they were such old wheels - and so I was thinking maybe using an Edco Monoblock on them if they were ok with Shimano 10 speed?

ak47

by ak47

You can swap 10 speed freehub for a 11 speed freehub. You just need an 11 speed DT Swiss freehub (240s). I had gen II lightweights which orginally were 10 speed and had the freehub replaced and I used 11 speed Shimano cassette on this set without a problem, altough rear derailleur might need a bit of adjustment.

HammerTime2
Location: Wherever there's a mountain beckoning to be climbed

by HammerTime2

ak47 wrote:You can swap 10 speed freehub for a 11 speed freehub. You just need an 11 speed DT Swiss freehub (240s). I had gen II lightweights which orginally were 10 speed and had the freehub replaced and I used 11 speed Shimano cassette on this set without a problem, altough rear derailleur might need a bit of adjustment.
This is bad advice in the case of Ventoux (or Sprint), which is different than for Standards or Obermayers. See the quotes below.

In Lightweight Standard Gen 1 - convert to Shim 11sp, HammerTime2 wrote:
In Lightweight Mellenstein, Andreas Schiwy, a.k.a. CarbonSportsGmbH wrote:All Lightweight rear wheels will be compatible to Shimano 11s. The new production has modified hubs, and there will be new DT freehub bodies (marked as 11s). Four different combinatins wiil be possible:
  • 10s wheel + 10s freehub body => 130mm wide, the well known setting up to now
  • 10s wheel + 11s freehub body => 131mm, wheel is 0,5mm off center to the left, when using 21t or 23t cassettes derailler may contact spokes (only with sprint rear wheel)
  • 11s wheel + 10s freehub body => 131mm, wheel is 0,5mm off center to the right
  • 11s wheel + 11s freehub body => 131mm (spacer needed to use 10s cassettes here, spacer is part of purchased parts package)

In Lightweight Mellenstein, Andreas Schiwy, a.k.a. CarbonSportsGmbH wrote:
HammerTime2 wrote:So is there no spoke contact problem for all 10 speed Lightweight wheels other than sprint? What about Ventoux Gen. II or Gen. III with DT 240 or DT 190 plus new (11s) freehub? What are the consequences of being 0,5 mm off center?
- Ventoux could be critical as well, as they are 24spoked. The "contact area" are the knots where the spokes are bended together...
- 0,5mm off center does not really matter... many wheels come off center and you would never realise during riding. Lots of frames might be off center as well..

The bottom line with Ventoux is that 10 speed cassette is fine, 11 speed cassette is not.

kgt

by kgt

McGilli why don't you send an email to the guys at LW?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com