Lightweight ventoux or standards

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

ride1970

by ride1970

I have a set of gen2 standards but am thinking I would like a set of ventoux/gipfelsturm instead. Does anyone have both who could give me a comparison between them. All reviews much appreciated

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

kgt

by kgt

ventoux/gipfelsturm are less stiff but lighter and not affected by crosswinds. I weight 78-82kg and I have used them for several thousands of kms without any issues. I would not recommend them for a sprinter or a heavy rider but for everyone else these are the ideal wheels IME.

mrgray

by mrgray

look slightly less cool (but still very good) and noticeably less stiff for me (90kg) but still very stiff. pretty great because they do look awesome and they are not affected by cross winds.
Bobo S&S Steel Bike - 7.5 kg
Oltre XR2- 6.6 kg
Look 585 - 6.8 kg
Look 695 SR :D

RyanH

by RyanH

I was considering Ventoux before I purchased my RZRs but many reviews said they felt dead. I think madcow echoed that sentiment and a local friend sold his off for that reason.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

vlastrada

by vlastrada

for those who speak italian, this blog (probably can get the jist with google translate) compares the Meileinstein/Standards and Gipfelstrums (ceramic speed versions). very unscientific i know, nor do i buy everything he says. but at least he's ridden both, and the obermayers. for what it's worth, this guy actually prefers the Gips because of the instant acceleration, especially uphill, more stable in x winds etc. Most of the riding he has done is on long mountain climbs in the north of italy, and he is a small/light guy, so there is a bias in that sense. but he admits that for rolling and flats the Meileinstein are ''slighty'' better.

http://pedalareversoilcielo.blogspot.it ... eight.html

i totally lust after the Gipfelstrums, and love climbing, but my rational side says the weight is almost the same as the Meilestein and the aero is worse. mixing front Gip and rear Mil. sounds good in principle, but makes little sense to me, as the difference in the front wheel is 25g (50g for the rear). Also, even though i am light, i never found cross winds to be an issue with the Standards, and regret selling them.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

2old4this

by 2old4this

My experience with mixing Meilinsteins and Gipfelstrums are different. For the record, I currently have 4.5 sets of Lightwieghts. On a flat non-windy rides, I agree, Meilinsteins (normal or Obermeyers) are really fine. I am not too huge a guy so Gipfelstrums not being as stiff does not affect me, but cross winds do. Especially on sudden gusts, a Meilinstein on the front is not that stable for me. It is definitely not that stable when I am going down on a long hill at 35-40 mph, where there is even moderate wind.