Which one is faster? Tubular vs clincher tire question.

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

de zwarten

by de zwarten

Calnago wrote:I wish I could get some of the Conti Pro Limited tires to try out. As much as I hate mounting a conti tubular, I do love their tread (dots) and compound in the wet, more so than Veloflex. I've often wondered if I could ever really tell the difference between the same tubular with a latex tube versus the a butyl tube. The conti's would be a good comparison.

Probably the market is so small, they just can't be bothered.

This. The reason why I ever bought conti tubulars was their reputation for not flatting too often. They are quite sturdy and feel OK in all circumstances, but they don't feel anything like 'comfortable'. I guess the pro teams also put quite a bit of air in them, compared to what you would (could) do with something like vittoria.

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

fa63 wrote:Contis uses latex inner tubes for their pro edition tubulars (which are not available to the public).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes. I should have said they don't sell it individually. I'll edit my post.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ultyguy

by ultyguy

As this has turned into a Conti Pro Ltd thread :lol: I do have a pair of 25's mounted on some C35's that were old team stock. They've got a latex tube and slick tread underneath, dots on the side and ribs on the side every 10cm or so. They roll super nice and grip like mad. Still not as plush as a Veloflex but not far off and def grippier.

sawyer

by sawyer

ultyguy wrote:As this has turned into a Conti Pro Ltd thread :lol: I do have a pair of 25's mounted on some C35's that were old team stock. They've got a latex tube and slick tread underneath, dots on the side and ribs on the side every 10cm or so. They roll super nice and grip like mad. Still not as plush as a Veloflex but not far off and def grippier.

That is really interesting ultyguy, and counter to previous comments on this forum and elsewhere about them performing/feeling essentially the same as the standard issue

The slick tread is nice. The absence of slick tread (other than the Sprinter) is something that annoys me about Conti tubs

I do think Conti are missing a trick not selling these. The high end tub market might be small vs clinchers yes, but they are there already with so-so offerings and could I imagine hoover up market share from the Italians if they released the Pro version.

Mr Conti - Pro LTD in 22mm and 25mm asap please. Cheers
----------------------------------------
Stiff, Light, Aero - Pick Three!! :thumbup:

LionelB

by LionelB

I rode a pair of conti pro ltd with latex inner. Still ride very hard IMO. No latex tube can make up for the stiff casing.

kgt

by kgt

LionelB wrote:No latex tube can make up for the stiff casing.

+1
A high tpi casing is always smoother to a low tpi one. It's not just the tube.

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

IRC have a tubular tyre coming out. Latex tube and there formula pro compound. I should be trying some out later this year.

By the way mattr I have not found the pressure I use in those narrow tubs to be any problem. Ran those pressures in conti GP4000sII tubs as well and lower pressures (120 psi) and I dont find discomfort issues or grip issues at the higher pressure. I ride XC off road alot on rigid bikes and I can assure you that is alot rougher even with wide tyres at low pressures. So that is where I am coming from. so I think narrower tubs at high pressure is a smooth ride in comparison.

My prefered tubulars are 25mm conti comps runnning at 90 psi front and 100 rear but these are not used for racing.

sawyer

by sawyer

scored some Pro LTDs ... will report back having ridden them back to back with Comps and gone easy on the new kit Koolaid if I can ...

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Where'd you score those Pro Limiteds Sawyer? I want some too. Just gluing up some winter wheels at the moment and would love a pair or two of these Contis in 25mm.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

sawyer

by sawyer

Hi calnago ... ebay ... come up now and again. You will struggle more in the states or I guess just have to suck up the postage

I paid £60 a pop which is ok all things considered, though about £20 than I'd normally pay for tubs ...

Obviously I haven't ridden them yet, but I have to say I am impressed by the tread. It is as ultyguy describes it. Smooth centre that looks fast. What is interesting is it's a totally different tyre to the standard comp. the base tape is more like Vittoria's (in colour and feel/suppleness). It appears to have very little if anything in common with the normal Comps

But that said, there are pictures of Pro LTDs on some pro bikes with the standard "dotted" tread, so clearly there are two tyres out there. I wonder tbh if the dotted one is just a standard Comp re-badged? I did also wonder if the one I have might not be made by Conti (just because it's so different to anything else they make - I've used them all!) ... but then again, Conti have as much experience making tyres as anyone in the world, so no reason why they couldn't do something unique in small batches for pros ...

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Hmmm, thanks. It does almost sound like the ones you have might be rebranded or made special for Conti but I really do like the dotted tread all the way round. And I don't see any reason at all why Conti would "rebrand" their own Comps to say something else on them. That makes zero marketing sense. If they were just standard Competitions they'd just leave them be for all the world to see. Anyway, good find and do let us know how you like them.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

Sosan

by Sosan

I personally do experiments with a powereter and various wheels and tires on an uphill. For a same power, Turbo cotton or Grand Prix TT clincher+latex+wide rim (17+mm+ inner width) always gives me the faster results than Vitt. Corsa CX3 tubular+3 layers of Mastik One+ lighter wheels. All the tires are 23mm or 24mm according to the casings.

However, I should admit that the tubs feel more comfortable, partially because of the structure and partially the piece of mind. Tubs are less prone to puncture and explode on downhills.

HammerTime2
Location: Wherever there's a mountain beckoning to be climbed

by HammerTime2

sawyer wrote:Smooth centre that looks fast. What is interesting is it's a totally different tyre to the standard comp. the base tape is more like Vittoria's (in colour and feel/suppleness). It appears to have very little if anything in common with the normal Comps

But that said, there are pictures of Pro LTDs on some pro bikes with the standard "dotted" tread, so clearly there are two tyres out there. I wonder tbh if the dotted one is just a standard Comp re-badged? I did also wonder if the one I have might not be made by Conti (just because it's so different to anything else they make - I've used them all!) ... but then again, Conti have as much experience making tyres as anyone in the world, so no reason why they couldn't do something unique in small batches for pros ...
Sawyer, I'm not saying these are not legitimate, but given that you bought them on ebay, are you sure they are not counterfeit?. And to be clear, if Conti rebadges tires made by another company as Conti Comp Pro Ltd, then those are genuine, not counterfeit. Do you have latex or butyl?

Meanwhile,
In Making the transition to tubulars, bcmf wrote:So you learn something new everyday:
Conti Competition Pro Ltd tubulars. Pro team issue only? Not all are latex tubes inside. Tyres marked alx are latex and tyres that are marked PT have butyl tubes.
Also the stitching on the comps look remarkably similar to Vittoria as does the silk liner inside is almost the exact same as the Vitts.
Possibly 'finished' in the same factory?

Can someone in the know please get to the bottom of this?

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

Sosan wrote:I personally do experiments with a powereter and various wheels and tires on an uphill. For a same power, Turbo cotton or Grand Prix TT clincher+latex+wide rim (17+mm+ inner width) always gives me the faster results than Vitt. Corsa CX3 tubular+3 layers of Mastik One+ lighter wheels. All the tires are 23mm or 24mm according to the casings.

However, I should admit that the tubs feel more comfortable, partially because of the structure and partially the piece of mind. Tubs are less prone to puncture and explode on downhills.

Your clinchers and latex inner tube exploded on a downhill? Clinchers and latex is a bad combination.

For the safest and ultimate performance one should ride a tub. Personally it's not worth it for me as I don't race. A fast clincher tire like the Conti GP 4000 and Conti Supersonic tube is good enough for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Ha. I think he was saying that tubulars are less prone to puncturing and exploding on downhills. Small typo perhaps.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com