Fulcrum racing speed XLR issue

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

madonna

by madonna

Hi guys,

I just bought a pair of new Fulcrum racing speed XLR 50mm. The wheelset was wonderful and smooth. However I am experiencing a ping sound occasionally on every ride which i am not able to narrow down the problem if it is due to the hub paw missed engaging or due to the spoke tension.

The ping sound comes very randomly and it seems to happen after more than 30km of riding. My last experience of the ping sound was free wheeling without paddling the crank and I could feel a little jerk on my bike when the ping sound happen.

I had changed the cassette and dripped oil on the hub and rims which holds the spoke, but disappointingly the sound still comes back.

Anyone of you who owns Fulcrum or Campy bora experience this issue please help to share how you resolve this ping sound?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

maverick_1

by maverick_1

Having the same problem here...ping sound :lol:
Any ideas?
I'm on my second pair of Boras with the same problem.

madonna

by madonna

Are you running on shimano free hub body? My friend change from shimano to campy free hub body and the issue is resolved.

PrimO

by PrimO

I used to get the same noise every so often on a set of Zondas. I always assumed it was coming from the cassette but never investigated it any further as it didn't appear to interfere with anything. I sold the wheels a few months ago and now have a set of Fulcrum Quattro Carbons and haven't had the noise since (or thought about it) so maybe it was the wheels/spoke...who know. Not much help, I know.

maverick_1

by maverick_1

Campy body on mine, same problem.
Both the Bora Ultra as well as Ultra Two exhibits the same issue.
I suspect the problem is most likely related to the hub paws though.
However i have no fix for it :(

ultyguy

by ultyguy

Ping problems for me with other wheels in the past were down to quick release tension and to some degree spoke tension evening out a bit after riding them in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

madonna

by madonna

I just opened up the free hub body and had removed all the greese n tighten up the paw engagment spring. Gonna give it a test ride tomorrow.

madonna

by madonna

Hi all,

After fixing the free hub body by removing the grease and replaced with oil and tightening the paw engagement spring so far I have not heard of any ping sound after riding for about 70km.

Hope that the problem is fixed due to the poor engagement of the paw.

maverick_1

by maverick_1

Thanks for the update.
Btw how do you tighten the pawl engagement spring?

madonna

by madonna

This might be a little tricky hands on for you. I saw my bike mechanic removing the 3 pawls from the free hub body so as to off load the tension of the pawl spring.

Then he removed the pawl spring from the free hub body and give it a few squeeze on the pawl spring till the diameter of the spring is a little smaller. Do a search on the fulcrum pawl spring 5-r1-015 and you should know what i mean.

Please also update your test result after this fix so as to confirm that this is the right solution.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com