Brake Pads

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

superlite342

by superlite342

I am thinking of getting a Fulcrum Racing Zero Carbon wheelset, is there specific brake pads that I will need for this wheelset?

fogman

by fogman

Use the brake pads that come with the wheels. They will be the red Fulcrum/Campagnolo pads.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It's all downhill from here, except for the uphills.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

PrimO

by PrimO

As above, theyre supplied with red campy pads and are actually very very good.

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

Superlite342, I have the Campy pads and while descending down a steep switchback (you guessed it- Devils Gulch) I managed to lock up my rear wheel. I was surprised at the braking power of the carbon wheels and the Campy carbon specific pads.

nlouthan

by nlouthan

The red pads are amazingly soft and really stop. When setting up my eeBrakes with Bora One 50s, I couldn't believe how squishy they felt, but man they brake like crazy.

Nefarious86

by Nefarious86

How do the red pads get allong with Zipps? Zipp pads are ludicrously priced and I run Black Prince pads once they wear out.
Using Tapatalk

TwiggyTN

by TwiggyTN

The Campy pads run great on every carbon wheelset I have: Zipps, Easton, Boyd, etc.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

nlouthan wrote:The red pads are amazingly soft and really stop. When setting up my eeBrakes with Bora One 50s, I couldn't believe how squishy they felt, but man they brake like crazy.

Soft? Compared to what? I think the campy red pads are quite hard actually. Maybe it was your brake calipers? Have you tried the Reynolds Cryo Blue pads? So much softer, but work well on Reynolds wheels. I tend to stick with manufacturers recommendation when it comes to brake pads these days, for campy carbon the red campy pads all day long, wet or dry. For Zipps, the grey platinum. For alloy, Campy rubber, or Shimano rubber, whichever you run. Only exception and probably a thing of the past now is when a lot of manufacturers were recommending Swiss Stop Yellow, probably because that's all there really was back then. Worst pads ever in my opinion.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

nlouthan

by nlouthan

Why would you recommend Reynolds Cryo Blue pads when I clearly state I'm riding Boras?

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Wasn't recommending them, was just wondering what you're comparing Campy red pads to that makes you think they are "soft". I would say Reynolds blue are very soft compared to Campy pads. I was just using them as an example of a "soft" pad.
But yes, for your Fulcrums or Boras, definitely recommend Campy Red pads.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

havana

by havana

I've tried both Reynolds pads as well as the original pads on my Bora's. I think there quite the same. Pretty good braking performance. Compound is pretty hard on both of them.

Currently I have a set of Swissstop Black Prince mounted (half worn, just to test). They are softer which means breaking feels a little different. They start working the moment you pull the lever. I quite like the feeling of the Swisstops. On the flip side, they wear much faster.
Editor-in-chief CycloWorld.cc - the largest database of gran fondo's and sportives in the world.

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

The only thing I don't like about the Campy red pads is that they are noisy at medium braking pressure and higher. Anyone has this experience?

LionelB

by LionelB

pdlpsher1 wrote:The only thing I don't like about the Campy red pads is that they are noisy at medium braking pressure and higher. Anyone has this experience?

Toe them in a bit. They should be very quiet.

Nefarious86

by Nefarious86

Why are the shimano carbon pads never really popular? Do they really only work on Shimano Carbon?
Using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

sawyer

by sawyer

Nefarious86 wrote:Why are the shimano carbon pads never really popular? Do they really only work on Shimano Carbon?

They will no doubt work with many other carbon wheels, though you'll be taking a chance in the absence of manufacturer endorsement

AFAIK there isn't much endorsement of Shimano carbon pads which could be part of the answer to your question?

Also, Shimano don't make carbon clinchers which greatly reduces general use of their pads. Shimano tub wheels are really good, but IME not all that popular (vs Zipp etc)

From memory Shimano don't make them for Campag brake pad holders? Whereas with Reynolds, Zipp and Campag pads you have both of the main systems covered.
----------------------------------------
Stiff, Light, Aero - Pick Three!! :thumbup: