Corsa G+ puncture resistence?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

eaglejackson

by eaglejackson

I rode Vittoria Corsa Evo CX clinchers for years (23mm then 25mm), then switched to Conti GP4000SII 25mm a few years ago. I missed the feel of the Vittorias, though, and recently gave the Corsa G+ a try. I like the way they ride but I've had a lot of flats on them already.

I'm wondering if others are experiencing the same or if I've just had bad luck.

No doubt the Contis are more puncture proof than the Corsa Evo CX's, but on the Corsa G+s I've had 5 flats in about a dozen rides. Each time it's been the rear tire with a short needle shaped object in the tire puncturing the inner tube, leading to a slow but steady leak. The offending object has been a couple of mm's long and very narrow -- about the diameter of a hair and feels like it's metal or something hard.

After 4 flats I wondered if there wasn't something wrong with the rear tire, perhaps something embedded that I was missing, so I put a fresh new tire on the wheel. I rode yesterday and woke up this morning to a flat rear tire -- with the same kind of short, sharp needle-like object in the tire puncturing the tube.

I didn't get these in the Conti's. (And still don't -- I have two near identical bikes I ride, one has C24 wheels with the Contis, the other has C35s with the G+'s).

I wonder if the linear tread in the G+'s is the culprit, vs smooth center tread on the Conti's and Corsa Evo CX's.

I like the ride of the G+'s better than the Conti's and would like to stick with them but not if I'm going to keep getting flats every other ride.

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

with only a 150 miles on mine...cant say.

I am getting some Enve's built and going with the "speed" version this time instead of just corsa g+.. I sure hope they are not prone to flats.
2024 BMC TeamMachine R
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ichobi

by ichobi

You can't get more contradictory than that. Riding a time trial tire and hoping it won't flat is like dropping glasses and hope they don't break. That aside, from my 2,500 kms the G+ have not punctured once from all sort of terrains i rode.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

defride

by defride

I'm in an area prone to puncturing, Schwable's regularly puncture even tubeless. G+ tubs haven't punctured in 1k miles and the tread has held up better than other tyres I've tried, mine aren't the speed version.

corky

by corky

G+ have been puncture less in 6 months of riding......

A2ON

by A2ON

Almost 700 miles on mine my corsa g+ and no puncture.

scb

by scb

over 1500 miles on the G+ with no punctures. Really like ride quality and they feel really fast.

billendk

by billendk

1000km with no puncture, and they ride so smooth (25mm) Come from conti gp4000.

Denavelo

by Denavelo

I just ordered (3 for $165) from probikekit. I'm more of a Veloflex kind of man, and they had the same deal on the Vlaanderen tires but sold out. I had to SETTLE for the Corsa G. haha

Right now they (probikekit) has the Corsa G Speed Tubular tires on sale for 3 for $165. SMOKING DEAL! I would only use these as race day tires, because even Vittoria says on their site they don't have puncture protection.
Rob English "Mudfoot" 29er | Focus Izalco Max | Firefly #194 Stainless XCR | Firefly #277 | Neilpryde Bura SL 11.9 | Crust Evasion Lite

vlastrada

by vlastrada

clinchers 25mm - around 3,500-3,800 km... I think 3 punctures in total, not so much of late...

In my experience I would say fairly similar to Veloflex Corsa 25s in terms of feel and puncture resistance....

eaglejackson

by eaglejackson

I am happy to report I've had 5 straight (short) rides with no flats on the Corsa G+'s.

sungod

by sungod

after a few years of veloflex carbon/arenberg, which i find are a bit prone to cut when roads are wet, i thought i'd try the corsa g+

lovely ride, after a bit of experimentation with pressure, i think maybe a bit better than the veloflex, no cuts after c. 1500km dry rides

but for all the hype over the g+ compound, i've not found them any tougher in the wet, perhaps even worse, two rides with just light drizzle for a few km and front/rear have both got cuts through to the carcass and the rear a puncture

i don't think the tread pattern helps, the position of most cuts looks like the tread may be trapping sharp bits so they can penetrate at the thinnest point

obviously this is a small sample size, but with both cutting at the same time it seems more than chance, don't think i'll be buying any more, fortunately my stock of veloflex is good :)

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

I have about 500 on the "speed" version.. so far they have been good. Rough roads too.
2024 BMC TeamMachine R
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault

nemeseri

by nemeseri

I've been lucky with the tubular version in the past 40 days. Commuting and training, so far very pleased with them. OP: are you sure you have the regular version and not the "speed"?

defride

by defride

2000 miles now on the G+ tubs, slow leak on the rear fixed with Orange Seal couple of cuts on the rear, nothing on the front. Front looking in remarkably good condition, the rear shows some signs of wear but life left. Tough on tires around here so impressive durability. A buddy rides the clinchers and has worn them to bare, has had two punctures recently but admitted he'd already bought replacements and should have changed them.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com