Hub cassette body durability

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

F45

by F45

mattr wrote:
F45 wrote:Use torque grease on the lock ring to ensure you are getting the correct clamping force for your torque reading.
torque grease? End loads are usually calculated with clean, lightly oiled, threads.
So do that if you want an accurate endload.

There ya go. Just don't ram it in dry.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

psycling

by psycling

Very helpful, thanks!

As I think about this I'm stuck somewhere between feeling like this is an excellent solution to a problem and feeling like a properly designed system shouldn't have this problem in the first place. I guess we do make a lot of compromises in getting weight down on a bike.

mattr

by mattr

The system was designed properly.
Shimano designed it properly. Steel or high grade Ti freehubs.

Aftermarket manufacturers cheaped out and used aluminium. As making it really really light out of Ti is expensive and difficult, making it slightly light out of steel is all but impossible.

Making a hybrid steel/aluminium freehub is also expensive and difficult.

Campag used a deeper spline, so it'll work in aluminium

corky

by corky

Multebear wrote:
psycling wrote:
1) Do others have this problem?

2) Am I doing something wrong or is it typical wear?

3) I believe that DT Swiss used to offer a steel cassette body, but I can't find this part anymore.

4) Should I look at a different hub?

5) Should I use a one piece cassette, such as the one from SRAM?

6) Should I try to pedal more lightly? ;-)

1: All riders, who are generating a significant amount of watts have this problem.

2: No, you're not. It's normal. Only light riders with low watts can avoid this.

3: Don't know, haven't heard of or seen a steel version

4: That's what I would do. White Industries T11 and Shimano Dura Ace both have titanium body, which don't get chewed up by cassettes. I've bought one of each, and they both are really great, well performing and very durable hubs.

5: You might, but they are expensive. And if you only need a new cassette every 18 months, it's not overwhelming.

6: Definitely not. You should pedal as hard as you can.

7: This topic belongs in the "everything wheels" section.

1. Not a problem for Campagnolo riders no matter the torque applied.....

Multebear

by Multebear

True. Campas design is much more clever. Their 9-speed freehub body even accepts 11 speed cassettes, while Shimanos don't.

perwjensen

by perwjensen

To solve this I use SRAM xg1190.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

mattr

by mattr

But campags design requires smaller bearings = less load capacity, less life. So it's just different design prerequisites.

Probably also an attempt to steer clear of patent issues. (Like Mavic with their ever so slightly longer shimano pattern spline)

BdaGhisallo

by BdaGhisallo

mattr wrote:The system was designed properly.
Shimano designed it properly. Steel or high grade Ti freehubs.

Aftermarket manufacturers cheaped out and used aluminium. As making it really really light out of Ti is expensive and difficult, making it slightly light out of steel is all but impossible.

Making a hybrid steel/aluminium freehub is also expensive and difficult.

Campag used a deeper spline, so it'll work in aluminium

Not always - Shimano used an alloy cassette body on the 7800 hub. This was the one with the taller splines than they traditionally did with a total design that was more akin to what Campy was doing at that time than what Shimano had done previously (with inboard hub bearings like Campy do). It was quickly replaced by the 7850 which reverted to the shallow splined cassette body in TI and the cassette hub design they were known for.

mattr

by mattr

Yeah, so they redesigned properly. With a design suited to the material.

Everyone complained about a new standard, so they went back to the shallow spline.

If you want to use shimano pattern freehub and cassette, you either follow the design concept, or have a potentially fragile/consumable freehub......

reknop

by reknop

I think I'm gonna build a set of climbing wheels with Dura Ace 9000 hubs, with the TI body. Friends with the DT Swiss alu body are experiencing this issue as well.

Sent from my Redmi Note 3 using Tapatalk
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
https://www.cycling-review.net

nycebo

by nycebo

Multebear wrote:4: That's what I would do. White Industries T11 and Shimano Dura Ace both have titanium body, which don't get chewed up by cassettes. I've bought one of each, and they both are really great, well performing and very durable hubs.

Out of curiosity, will the Dura Ace freehub body fit on the DT Swiss 240S hub?

BdaGhisallo

by BdaGhisallo

nycebo wrote:
Multebear wrote:4: That's what I would do. White Industries T11 and Shimano Dura Ace both have titanium body, which don't get chewed up by cassettes. I've bought one of each, and they both are really great, well performing and very durable hubs.

Out of curiosity, will the Dura Ace freehub body fit on the DT Swiss 240S hub?

No - they're totally different designs. Shimano is an internal, captured-pawl design and DT uses its star ratchet system.

nycebo

by nycebo

I might have suspected as much. Will probably buy a spare freehub to use down the road when my cassette fully thrashes the original.