Campagnolo Shamal Mille C17 v. Shamal C17 - Differences??

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

roadhog44

by roadhog44

Love mine...braking MUCH more powerful in the dry...Will be buying the C17 Milles for next year

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Thanks RoadHog44. Are those new tires? If not, I suspect those wheels haven't seen much foul weather riding? Or have they? How long have you had them?
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

roadhog44

by roadhog44

Calnago wrote:Thanks RoadHog44. Are those new tires? If not, I suspect those wheels haven't seen much foul weather riding? Or have they? How long have you had them?

Been in use since April though only 3 bad days riding when been caught out as I've a Fenix with Chorus mechanical 11 for bad days. I have no huge issue in using the Helium with Milles in bad weather....Just hate getting it dirty so choose not too. I used the Fenix on The Etape as didn't want to damage the EPS cables in the flight bag, but swapped the Milles onto it so they saw some pretty serious braking that day!!

I admit the Mavic Exaliths are probably more durable (and a tad lighter) but, after years on Campag wheels...I just couldn't live with that horrible draggy and slow engaging freehub!

Mockenrue

by Mockenrue

I've found the tan sidewalls on the new Corsas to be easier to clean up after wet rides than the previous iteration. A bit of patience and a few baby wipes and they're almost as good as new.

robertbb

by robertbb

Hey all,

Slightly OT but am about to pull the trigger on some Shamals (not the Mille, just the standard Ultra).

There's some pretty hefty discounts on offer right now for the older 15mm model - around $450 savings compared with the new 17mm model. I'm used to 23mm tyres (Conti GP4000S2) on Kinlin XR-200's, so both the 15mm and 17mm Shamal's will be a massive improvement.

Question is: would you all drop the extra $$$ for the C17's or happily ride the 15mm model? Is it really worth that price difference? I also have two near-new 23mm GP4000S2's that I could use with the older rim - if I get the newer rim I'd need to drop even more cash on new tyres).

Advice appreciated. :beerchug:

fogman

by fogman

The C15 will be about 25 grams lighter than the C17. However, I like my C17 Bora Ones because paired with a 25mm tire at slightly lower psi gives me a more comfortable ride and a better handling/descending bike. I have a set of Shamal Ultra C15 that I hardly use anymore. I will consider the C17 Mille version as my next aluminum clincher.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It's all downhill from here, except for the uphills.

doogie2304

by doogie2304

robertbb wrote:Question is: would you all drop the extra $$$ for the C17's or happily ride the 15mm model? Is it really worth that price difference? I also have two near-new 23mm GP4000S2's that I could use with the older rim - if I get the newer rim I'd need to drop even more cash on new tyres).

there are many people happily riding around with 23mm tyres (especially conti gp4000s2 which measure bigger when inflated) on 17c rims. i was recently at a talk by tristan thomas from www.wheelworks.co.nz and he said that they preferred the conti 23 vs the 25 on their 'maker' 17c carbon wheel.

i am looking to move up to 17c bora one 35 wheels soon, as i'm interested to try both carbon and a wider rim profile, but that certainly doesn't mean that i'm unhappy with my current shamal mille wheels. it's way too easy to convince yourself that you can't enjoy "old" tech, but that doesn't seem to stop all of the people who enjoy the l'eroica events which specify the use of equipment made before 1987.

perhaps the question to ask yourself is will you start wanting the c17 shamals a few weeks after you get the cheaper 15c ones???

robertbb

by robertbb

doogie2304 wrote:
robertbb wrote:Question is: would you all drop the extra $$$ for the C17's or happily ride the 15mm model? Is it really worth that price difference? I also have two near-new 23mm GP4000S2's that I could use with the older rim - if I get the newer rim I'd need to drop even more cash on new tyres).

there are many people happily riding around with 23mm tyres (especially conti gp4000s2 which measure bigger when inflated) on 17c rims. i was recently at a talk by tristan thomas from http://www.wheelworks.co.nz and he said that they preferred the conti 23 vs the 25 on their 'maker' 17c carbon wheel.

i am looking to move up to 17c bora one 35 wheels soon, as i'm interested to try both carbon and a wider rim profile, but that certainly doesn't mean that i'm unhappy with my current shamal mille wheels. it's way too easy to convince yourself that you can't enjoy "old" tech, but that doesn't seem to stop all of the people who enjoy the l'eroica events which specify the use of equipment made before 1987.

perhaps the question to ask yourself is will you start wanting the c17 shamals a few weeks after you get the cheaper 15c ones???

Thanks doogie2304,

Yes, looks like running 23mm Conti's on 17mm rims is widely done (or even preferred) despite what the diagrams and standards say. I think I'll drop the extra for the C17's. One of the reasons I was looking at the 15mm ones so closely is due to the lighter weight (I do a lot of climbing), but it's a negligible difference (particularly if I keep running the same width tyres) and of course the improved handling on the way back down is welcome, as is the bonus to comfort at lower PSI.

:thumbup:

octav

by octav

ANybody with a very longterm review of Mille? I would like to get a set for bad conditions and going on vacation in the alps :D Daily driver is a Bora50 set.

Alexandrumarian

by Alexandrumarian

octav wrote:
Tue May 28, 2019 11:26 am
ANybody with a very longterm review of Mille? I would like to get a set for bad conditions and going on vacation in the alps :D Daily driver is a Bora50 set.
To me the Milles are a main set for someone who doesn't want or can't afford a Bora set. They make less sense as a bad weather set because:
-too much money for too little use
-the coating is most sensitive to wet grit
-big spokes catch more wind

I would get the Zondas or Neutrons...

pafori

by pafori

octav wrote:
Tue May 28, 2019 11:26 am
I had the previous (2017) non-AC3 (rim brake) version of Bora 50s. After a year, I sold them and bought Shamal Milles. I'm very happy with my decision.

Bora 50s are quite susceptible to cross winds and the non-AC3 braking was marginal at best in mountain descents (terrible in rain), even using SwissStop yellow pads. (Please no comments regarding SS yellow vs Campy red, another discussion ... :D .) I haven't used the AC3 version.

I live in LA, climb a lot in the mountains (300K feet so far this year). The Shamal Milles are light, climb very well, are much less affected by cross winds and brake beautifully. I use my disc brake road bike when it rains.

The Bora 50s are super fast, spin up more quickly and are more responsive. As you have these wheels, you'll likely agree. But, for me, it's marginal, and not worth the safety trade-off.

When it came time, I did not choose Boras for my disc brake bike, largely because they are not tubeless compatible. I love tubeless.

octav

by octav

For the moment I would stick with Bora50 only because of the frame design(Colnago C60 in 52s size) so Shamal would look a little bit small as my only set.
I was thinking of getting them as my mountain set and set the Bora50 clincher to get some Bora50 tubular.
Can you post a picture with for Shamal after so much climbing? Is the braketrack still going strong? :D