Typical air loss from latex inner tubes

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

nemeseri

by nemeseri

sungod wrote:i had a similar experience with corsa g+, the extender was leaking, i put a bit of tufo sealant on the threads but that just slowed the loss

i'm away and have no spare extenders with me, but i saw some in a bike shop - by chance they were vittoria ones - i got a couple (btw they came with a core tool that looks like the usual plastic ones but is actually metal, nice)

comparing to the originals (lightweight, which are leak-free on veloflex tubs) the vittoria extenders have a visibly larger rubber sealing ring at the end, fitted instead and all is fine

seems like the valve tubes on the vittoria's need the larger diameter seal

Good to know! Thanks for the tipp! I will pick up a pair then. The leeking is now better a bit, I think I can live with it for now. I don't want to reglue until it's necessary.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

alistaird

by alistaird

I tend to lose about 20lbs in 24 hours but it is also slightly temperature dependent YMMV.

A

PrimO

by PrimO

10psi overnight on Michelin latex tubes and slightly more with Vittoria latex tubes, maybe 15psi overnight.

On a recent 5hr ride, the Michelin tubes lost roughly 5/6psi which is insignificant in the grand scheme of things.

luz88

by luz88

nemeseri wrote:
Thu Sep 01, 2016 6:23 pm
Thank you guys! I put some teflon tape on the valve core and tried to tighten the extender a little bit more. The extender starts right at the edge of the valve hole, so I didn't want to unscrew it fearing that I wouldn't be able to screw it back properly. So I'm now waiting to see if it improves or not.
What ever happened to your tubulars? were they faulty or was it an extender leak? Currently on my 1st set of Corsa G+ 25mm tubulars. Front tire went from 85psi to 35 over 48hrs. No valve extenders used.

Nickldn

by Nickldn

Seems pretty normal for air loss from latex.

My G+ 1.0 25mm goes from about 90 psi to 45-50 psi in 24h. Nothing to worry about.

G+ 2.0 retains air marginally better, but not by much.
Giant Propel Advanced SL Red Etap 11s Easton EC90 wheels CeramicSpeed BB Zipp SL70 bars 6.5kg

Vitus ZX1 CRS Campy Chorus 12s Bora WTO 45 disk brake wheels Zipp SL70 bars 7.5kg

SL8 build with Craft CS5060 Wheels in progress

CyclingGiraffe

by CyclingGiraffe

My Vittorias lose about 1psi per hour if pumped up to 110psi (at least for the first 24 hours or so). I pump them up to around 110psi at night, and for morning rides they're in the ballpark of 100psi. That evening, they're usually around 85psi, whereupon I pump them up to 110 again.