Shimano Dura Ace C24 wheels, how is 16/20 spokes possible?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Multebear

by Multebear

How is it possible for the C24 wheels to carry heavier riders, when they only have 16/20 spokes? When I lace wheels myself, I always get recommended lacing 24/28 spokes with alloy rims. I'm 85 kg/187 lbs.

Is it because of the straight pull hubs? Or bigger nipples? Stronger spokes?

I'd like to build alloy wheels with 16/20 spokes, but I also know, that it wouldn't be possible with my weight with regular hubs, spokes and nipples.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

istigatrice

by istigatrice

think flange geometry and rim stiffness would have something to do with it. But that's just at a guess
I write the weightweenies blog, hope you like it :)

Disclosure: I'm sponsored by Velocite, but I do give my honest opinion about them (I'm endorsed to race their bikes, not say nice things about them)

Sosan

by Sosan

Hi. Here are what I observed.

1. The rear rim is asymmetric, having 2.5~3 mm offset. This will make the tension of the NDS higher compared to using symmetric rims.
2. The nipple threads have some material to prevent vibration-loose. It is similar to the spoke prep.
3. High enough tension.

WMW
in the industry

by WMW

Multebear wrote:Is it because of the straight pull hubs? Or bigger nipples? Stronger spokes?

No. No. Maybe. Don't know what size spokes they use, but the important property would be stiffness, not strength. The rims have a carbon wrap and are machined after extrusion to optimize strength and weight. It's really a box rim and not wide either. Poor aero.

There is no magic really. You can definitely use low spoke counts if you use beefier spokes and a strong rim. Thing is, you don't gain anything. A greater number of thin spokes will allow you to use a lighter rim, and aero will be about the same. So why not go that route? Most loose rims are designed that way. Low counts for light riders and more spokes for heavier riders. Makes it easy to optimize builds for a wide variety of riders.
formerly rruff...