Pacenti SL23 is leaving but is being replaced

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Multebear

by Multebear

steventran wrote:
The Quill are currently available as rims from bikehubstore and as complete wheels from Velocity.

Valuable info. Price is steep though. Are they available in europe as well?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

sawyer

by sawyer

boysa wrote:Ok, I have to ask... why are people excited about a company with a history of producing products that are sub-standard coming out with another product?

Disclaimer: I've never used their products.

Good question

Though you know the answer, so do I, and it isn't surprising

I would stay clear of these rims and the attendant hassle. Life is hectic enough without throwing failing bicycle wheel rims into the mix. I ride mostly Campag wheels and they have never let me down
----------------------------------------
Stiff, Light, Aero - Pick Three!! :thumbup:

sawyer

by sawyer

ergott wrote:
boysa wrote:Ok, I have to ask... why are people excited about a company with a history of producing products that are sub-standard coming out with another product?

Disclaimer: I've never used their products.

People building wheels long enough will remember when Hed rims were prone to cracking at the spokes holes. Stuff happens and good companies work to make their products better.

Remember when Zipp rims were all but guaranteed to crack from the smallest impact? Took them many years to sort out their issues. Now their carbon rims are some of the strongest made.

It's a bit of a jump to assume the improvement will happen with Pacenti. It might, and it might not. Hope it does

Re Zipp ... agree re improvement in the rims ... though note they have also got much heavier. To the point where they are now one of the heaviest carbon tubular wheelsets among the main players. Anyway, they just told me that my JRA failed 202 tubular hub also had a cracked rim ... so in the bin it goes

KWalker

by KWalker

IMO there is a huge difference between a lightweight carbon rim cracking, and an alloy hoop having how many different problems? One is designed to be the most advanced blend of weight, stiffness, and aero and the other is designed to be generic enough to ride any day in any condition using tech that's been around for a long time.
Don't take me too seriously. The only person that doesn't hate Froome.
Gramz
Failed Custom Bike

saab2000

by saab2000

This might be my first WW post. Not sure.....

Long time lurker here.

I have two sets of Pacenti SL23 rims and a set of SL25s. My Gen 1 SL23s and SL25s were built by Ergott. The other set was laced up to a set of Record hubs by Southern Wheelworks. All have been excellent, with no cracking and no weaknesses I can discern.

My preferred rim is the V2 SL23 with 23mm clinchers. They roll, at about 80 PSI, closer to a quality tubular than any clincher I've ever tried.

I look forward to this rumored offset Pacenti rim, if the rumors are true. I will be a customer if they come to pass.

Edit: I guess it's my fifth post.... 8)

KWalker

by KWalker

My last set of Pacentis did not crack, the brake tracks simply wore out. Not super surprising given the amount of descending here and the nasty sand that comes up in our rain water. No complaints about that set, however, the 4 rims I had before all cracked. Two different builders, both of who followed the recommended tensions and procedures.

My V2 set was rolling fine for about a week. The narrow tracks are a bit annoying, but not that hard to get around. Then the sleeve came loose. I contacted a few other known forum builders, who had also heard of the issue. Now the rear is making the same clinking noise....
Gramz
Failed Custom Bike

nobuseri

by nobuseri

I had heard of the issues with the V1 spec, but the V2 sets I have have been flawless. Two sets were built by November (Nimbus Ti), and another custom build on T11 hubs.

I guess I will have to inspect them a lot more frequently now.
Cicli Barco XCr Road
Moots VaMoots
Parlee Z1
SuperX Hi-Mod Disc

sawyer

by sawyer

KWalker wrote:IMO there is a huge difference between a lightweight carbon rim cracking, and an alloy hoop having how many different problems? One is designed to be the most advanced blend of weight, stiffness, and aero and the other is designed to be generic enough to ride any day in any condition using tech that's been around for a long time.

Yes, you're right on that KWalker

Back in <2009ish Zipp were pushing the envelope on weight with their carbon tubulars. They had lots of problems and beefed them up - they still had problems but mostly hub related thereafter :wink:

Alloy rims designed for general riding failing is less forgivable in that sense

spud

by spud

slightly off topic, but for those with the loose sleeve inside the rim, I wonder if it might make sense to drill a small hole in the tire bed at the rim join and drop some thinned Gorilla Glue in there to fasten down the sleeve and prevent clinking. Wouldn't have any real structural benefit, but at least the rim would be quiet.

KWalker

by KWalker

Or they could just make it properly so you didn't have to do janky shit like that on a new rim.
Gramz
Failed Custom Bike

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

just drip some super glue in that will useually hold the bloody thing in place. You dont have to drill the rim you can see the beam looking through the spoke holes.

The problem is there are very few rims that I actually like and are relaible. Kinlin make a few, DT Swiss kind of make a few but they are just epxensive versions of the Kinlins R460 = XR22T and R511 = XR31T. Velocity rims are variable with the A23 being too shallow and far too much drilling swarf in the rim for my liking. The quill never made to europe. The Ryde rims are fine if you can get the tyres on. Pacenti's give greif sometimes. H plus son make a couple of nice rims but I have had 4 hydra's that where horribly out of round. Mavic make rims that belong in another century as do ambrosio although they do have one wider rim now.

The rim I actually want is not made by anyone. Kinlin come the closest. Really need to put my idea into production. Kinlin said $10000 for tooling and 5000 rim a year. now where is that lottery win......

sawyer

by sawyer

bm0p700f wrote:just drip some super glue in that will useually hold the bloody thing in place. You dont have to drill the rim you can see the beam looking through the spoke holes.

The problem is there are very few rims that I actually like and are relaible. Kinlin make a few, DT Swiss kind of make a few but they are just epxensive versions of the Kinlins R460 = XR22T and R511 = XR31T. Velocity rims are variable with the A23 being too shallow and far too much drilling swarf in the rim for my liking. The quill never made to europe. The Ryde rims are fine if you can get the tyres on. Pacenti's give greif sometimes. H plus son make a couple of nice rims but I have had 4 hydra's that where horribly out of round. Mavic make rims that belong in another century as do ambrosio although they do have one wider rim now.

The rim I actually want is not made by anyone. Kinlin come the closest. Really need to put my idea into production. Kinlin said $10000 for tooling and 5000 rim a year. now where is that lottery win......

There are loads of rims that I like that are phenomenally reliable. They have the added advantage of coming with spokes and hubs attached, that are equally reliable :beerchug:

sawyer

by sawyer

sawyer wrote: bump

scb

by scb

My Gen1 Pacentis have had zero issues other than how stupidly difficult they are to change tires. I had them build on the assumption that they were bullet proof and super reliable. They have been retired for my own piece of mind.

mentok

by mentok

I think my SL23s are gen1 (the 2nd style of stickers?) and they have been flawless for about 5000km. 24/28 for a 90kg rider, built by me using nipple washers. As above, i can only complain about the difficulty changing rubber.

Pretty disappointed to hear about the issues others are having as i hoped these wheels would last a long time

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com