Pacenti SL23 is leaving but is being replaced

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

petromyzon

by petromyzon

I built some SL23 V2s which were very light and went together beautifully - very pleased with them apart from the small brake track.
Do you think Forza will be as light? Offset version is very interesting.
I don't think Velocity Quills ever made it to market in significant numbers, and based on the quality of my A23s I sincerely doubt they will be able to make a rim as nice as the SL23s.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

petromyzon

by petromyzon

PS any other news on the Eurobike grapevine pertaining to handbuilts? I was hoping for some new Stan's road rims, the return of the Velocity Quill and something from Kinlin

boysa

by boysa

@ ergott... Fair enough. When I sit down and think about it, I can list quite a few companies that have gone from suspect to stellar. Good point.

Not to mention, I have a set of HED Belgiums laced to Alchemy hubs, built by you, that are absolutely sublime! :thumbup:
"Deserve's got nothing to do with it." William Munny

WMW
in the industry

by WMW

steventran wrote:Velocity Quill rims instead.

I wouldn't be so sure about that. They were discontinued very shortly after intro, and they haven't returned. QC issues were cited.

I'm not sure what people expect. The SL23 is exceptionally light for its size at ~425g, and is a nice aero shape. There is really nothing near it. And you expect no compromises? There are always compromises. It's just aluminum after all. "Magic" isn't part of the secret sauce. If you don't care about weight go ahead and get a Kinlin XC279 or XR31T. There will be issues with those also, but they will be different issues, and those rims are cheaper.
formerly rruff...

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

ergott wrote:
boysa wrote:Ok, I have to ask... why are people excited about a company with a history of producing products that are sub-standard coming out with another product?

Disclaimer: I've never used their products.

People building wheels long enough will remember when Hed rims were prone to cracking at the spokes holes. Stuff happens and good companies work to make their products better.

Remember when Zipp rims were all but guaranteed to crack from the smallest impact? Took them many years to sort out their issues. Now their carbon rims are some of the strongest made.

Yes, I think in Pacenti's case it's a matter of knowing the guy behind it is a decent person and people wanting him to succeed. I don't know him but I've only heard positive things. Doesn't really help those that have had problems however.
Now in the case of Zipp, if it took them this long to get their rims right, how much longer will it take before they build a decent hub.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

ergott

by ergott

Calnago wrote:how much longer will it take before they build a decent hub.

I could fix their problem in a week or so. I do think they have the machining capabilities to make a hub to high tolerances. They just need someone that knows what they are doing to design them. Don't even have to push it to make them reasonably light.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Attention Zipp: Hire this man! Seriously.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

steventran

by steventran

WMW wrote:
steventran wrote:Velocity Quill rims instead.

I wouldn't be so sure about that. They were discontinued very shortly after intro, and they haven't returned. QC issues were cited.

I'm not sure what people expect. The SL23 is exceptionally light for its size at ~425g, and is a nice aero shape. There is really nothing near it. And you expect no compromises? There are always compromises. It's just aluminum after all. "Magic" isn't part of the secret sauce. If you don't care about weight go ahead and get a Kinlin XC279 or XR31T. There will be issues with those also, but they will be different issues, and those rims are cheaper.

The Quill are currently available as rims from bikehubstore and as complete wheels from Velocity. I had no problems with the SL23 v1 rims, just a little difficult to get GP4000IIs on. My only gripe about the v2s is the brake track with Campagnolo-compatible pads (Kool Stop too tall, not sure about Aztec, ordered some Aican after seller said they measure 6.5mm). Other than that, they seem quality and were easy to build. If I sort out the brake pad issue, I'll be happy. For the past few weeks, I wasn't sure if I'd be able to do that without buying a Dremel.

WMW
in the industry

by WMW

steventran wrote:My only gripe about the v2s is the brake track with Campagnolo-compatible pads.

I agree that a 7.5mm brake track is annoying but they aren't the first. Kinlin XR270 and Velocity A23s are the same size, and probably many others. I do love the 10mm track on the v1s though.
formerly rruff...

KWalker

by KWalker

Mine weighed less than 425- a hair over 400 each. If it were 425 eff that either use Rydes or just get Belgians as the penalty at that point is super minimal.
Don't take me too seriously. The only person that doesn't hate Froome.
Gramz
Failed Custom Bike

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

exactly why I have not given up. The SL23 is a good rim if it made properly. They know the sunringle factory has production issues and are doing something about it. That is something at least.

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

On wheel building met Kinlin at the show and the TB20 lives. A 23mm wide tubular rim that is light (they had one there) and it is available in disc brake form. They did add the market for it is small. Well me and LouisN but I think I will be getting a few.

I did see a few other rim manufacures there but nothing excited me. If Pacenti where there I missed them too many stall to visit.

KWalker

by KWalker

I've given up. 2 years and 5, now 6 bad rims! At this point the shitty small brake track and marginal grams are not going to drastically make the ride any better than having a wheel that isn't constantly in the shop being rebuilt.
Don't take me too seriously. The only person that doesn't hate Froome.
Gramz
Failed Custom Bike

LouisN

by LouisN

bm0p700f wrote:On wheel building met Kinlin at the show and the TB20 lives. A 23mm wide tubular rim that is light (they had one there) and it is available in disc brake form. They did add the market for it is small. Well me and LouisN but I think I will be getting a few.

I did see a few other rim manufacures there but nothing excited me. If Pacenti where there I missed them too many stall to visit.

I'm building a Kinlin TB20 set tomorrow for CX.
I like the specs.
Never had any complaints about Kinlin rims on the 40+ pairs I built. I'm still running my first set of wheels (XR270) today ( built in 2008, a few thousands of km's) as a bad weather/beat up wheelset.

I also built an XR22T ( 22 deep -24 wide 440 g ) set this summer.
It makes a very nice wheelset with 23mm tires on. I ran Challenge Critérium open tubulars on them at 90-95 PSI. Very smooth. They will also be used as the trainer/bad weather for CX this fall.

Louis :)

F45

by F45

Looking at BDop's cycling website, I see a tubular wheel kit "coming soon" with an XR31TC. Won't be that light, but it will be wide.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com