Pacenti SL23 is leaving but is being replaced

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

Just had to warranty another SL23 V2 rim for not being round. Pacenti are moving production to Taiwan due to the number of warranties for rattling plates and un round rims. So they are renaming the rim Forza and introducing a offset version for the rear. The SL25 is being renamed and will be offset only. Delivery in October according to the u.k distributor.

just a heads up folks.

sugarkane
in the industry

by sugarkane

:beerchug:
Last edited by sugarkane on Tue Aug 30, 2016 11:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

steventran

by steventran

Are they doing anything about the narrow brake track? Sanding down Campagnolo pads is pretty annoying. So annoying, I built up rims wheels ago that still haven't been ridden. I wish I had bought Velocity Quill rims instead.

allenpg

by allenpg

I'm curious to see the new rims. I personally have liked the SL23 and SL25. I've got a few wheelsets, and enjoyed building them. My previous experience was with Mavic, Kinlin, and Velocity (for alloy rims).

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

Kool stop and aztex pads are narrow enough just use them rather than faffing about sanding pads down.

The current SL23 is annoying to build with. The SL25 is fine but Kinlin make equally good rims at half the price. The new rims will have to major step up for me to continue buying them. This year SL23's have given me nothing but grief and warranties.

zed

by zed

This is hopefully good news. I've had nothing but headaches with these rims, regardless of version. The version 2 were good for awhile, and now sleeves popping loose, and cracking at the nipples plaguing them too. I wonder if the SL25 is built elsewhere? I have not had any issues with the SL25.
http://www.zedwheels.com - wheels made just for you

steventran

by steventran

I don't think Kool Stop campy pads are narrow enough. The Shimano ones are, but they're no use to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KWalker

by KWalker

Had a sleeve pop loose on my brand new SL23. This is now my 5th faulty Pacenti. These rims are water trash.
Don't take me too seriously. The only person that doesn't hate Froome.
Gramz
Failed Custom Bike

Sosan

by Sosan

I saw exactly the same problems with SL23.
I asked BHS months ago,but didn't get any answer..

Anyway, happy that they are gonna announce new rims!

allenpg

by allenpg

Wow! I guess I got lucky. I've got 4 wheelsets with Pacenti SL23 and SL25 rims with no problems. [fingers crossed]

F45

by F45

No reason to get Pacenti Taiwan rims when I can get Kinlin Taiwan rims for half the price that work better.

hmai18

by hmai18

KWalker wrote:Had a sleeve pop loose on my brand new SL23. This is now my 5th faulty Pacenti. These rims are water trash.

Did you get the sleeve re-fixed, or did you replace the rim?

boysa

by boysa

Ok, I have to ask... why are people excited about a company with a history of producing products that are sub-standard coming out with another product?

Disclaimer: I've never used their products.
"Deserve's got nothing to do with it." William Munny

WMW
in the industry

by WMW

bm0p700f wrote:Just had to warranty another SL23 V2 rim for not being round.

Wow, I've never gotten one that was out of round or warped badly enough to ditch. Never had an issue at all except for loose sleeves, and I thought those had been fixed?

Lots of Kinlins have been out of round though. And brake track width variation which really sucks because it's hard to tell until ridden.

I thought Pacentis were already made in Taiwan, by Sun?
formerly rruff...

ergott

by ergott

boysa wrote:Ok, I have to ask... why are people excited about a company with a history of producing products that are sub-standard coming out with another product?

Disclaimer: I've never used their products.

People building wheels long enough will remember when Hed rims were prone to cracking at the spokes holes. Stuff happens and good companies work to make their products better.

Remember when Zipp rims were all but guaranteed to crack from the smallest impact? Took them many years to sort out their issues. Now their carbon rims are some of the strongest made.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com