Gumwall tyres closet in feel and performance to 4000sII?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Shrike

by Shrike

Want some gumwall tyres for my winter build, don't have to be crazy robust, 4000sII is enough. 25mm. No clue about them at all except people say they're weaker in the sidewalls.

These tyres looked cool (building a sort of replica of this with a Workswell)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Attermann

by Attermann

Clement Strada LGG 60 TPI :)

Shrike

by Shrike

Checked them out, and they look class. Perfect, sorted now, cheers!

Marin

by Marin

That was supposed to be a joke, Atterman named the worst-riding tanwalls he could find because GP4000s are notoriously harsh.

Get some high-tpi tires from Vittoria, Challenge or Veloflex (cheapest) and if you don't mind pumping treat yourself to some Latex tubes.

Shrike

by Shrike

Oh, balls to you then! Fine, back to the drawing board :D

Nejmann

by Nejmann

S-Works turbo cotton. You're welcome.

PhilippCX

by PhilippCX

Actually, the GP 4000SII are available as a "gumwall" variant. The performance is exactly the same.
Although at the moment you can only get them in 23 mm but that might not be an issue since they come out more like a 25 mm anyway.

Swannie

by Swannie

PhilippCX wrote:Actually, the GP 4000SII are available as a "gumwall" variant. The performance is exactly the same.
Although at the moment you can only get them in 23 mm but that might not be an issue since they come out more like a 25 mm anyway.

where can those be bought??
It was the 1st version that was available as gumwall, it was a tour de france special, like in 2010 or so...

vejnemojnen

by vejnemojnen

Grand Prix classic by conti. Or wiggle had rubino pro 3 honey coloured as well. 23 mm but measure 24.5 on my rims

Tapatalkkal küldve az én D5833 eszközömről

PhilippCX

by PhilippCX

Swannie wrote:
PhilippCX wrote:Actually, the GP 4000SII are available as a "gumwall" variant. The performance is exactly the same.

where can those be bought??
It was the 1st version that was available as gumwall, it was a tour de france special, like in 2010 or so...

Any shop should be able to order them. The article number is 0100944. In Germany, most online stores carry them, e.g. bike24.de: https://www.bike24.de/1.php?content=8;product=66830;menu=1000,4,22,35;mid%5B4%5D=1.

F45

by F45

Closest in feel? Sorry, I don't know any gumwalls that ride that badly.

sugarkane
in the industry

by sugarkane

:lol:

thumper88

by thumper88

Specialized turbo cotton (slightly faster, bit more prone to puncture, better ride and handling than GP, not sure about wet handling)

Or the vittoria graphenes.

Denavelo

by Denavelo

Life is too short to ride Tufo tires, or any bad tire for that fact. People fear flats, but it's just a part of cycling... If you ride in the street, you're subject to the street elements (Glass, Sharp Metals, etc). Tires are the the most important factor of my ride feel.

Would you buy a race car and put cheap Naakang tires on it? NOPE! There's a reason Porsche cars and other high powdered sports cars come with Michelin Pilot Sports. The tire transforms the behavior of the car. Same can be said for a bicycle. Buy nice tires and just deal with punctures.

You should try the Cotton Turbo tires. I know guys who run them and get really good miles out of them, and they roll quite fast. I always ran Veloflex Masters in 25c when I was a clincher guy. They were supple enough and durable enough. The new Corsa tires are supposed to be really good, but the sidewall doesn't have the real natural gumwall look. My buddy has been on the new Challenge Roubaix tires for months now. No punctures and he rides dirt on them on his Firefly.
Rob English "Mudfoot" 29er | Focus Izalco Max | Firefly #194 Stainless XCR | Firefly #277 | Neilpryde Bura SL 11.9 | Crust Evasion Lite

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mrlobber

by mrlobber

Turbo Cottons are really nice rolling (+ fast) and subtle tyres, but their sidewalls are catastrophically fragile, in fact, I've never seen any clincher close to that (from Schwalbe, Michelin, Conti, whichever). After 1500km, I had to replace the rear (as the tube was finding its way out) and now the front is almost in a similar condition already.

And that's from me who still rides Veloflex tubulars (including Extreme/Sprinter) really frequently, which aren't the most durable tyres, but resist cuts significantly better.

I'm going to ride the Cottons next season as well, but only as a fast race tyre and perhaps just for that one epic ride. No daily training miles on them.
Minimum bike categories required in the stable:
Aero bike | GC bike | GC rim bike | Climbing bike | Climbing rim bike | Classics bike | Gravel bike | TT bike | Indoors bike