Gumwall tyres closet in feel and performance to 4000sII?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

thumper88

by thumper88

mrlobber wrote:Turbo Cottons are really nice rolling (+ fast) and subtle tyres, but their sidewalls are catastrophically fragile, in fact, I've never seen any clincher close to that (from Schwalbe, Michelin, Conti, whichever). After 1500km, I had to replace the rear (as the tube was finding its way out) and now the front is almost in a similar condition already.

And that's from me who still rides Veloflex tubulars (including Extreme/Sprinter) really frequently, which aren't the most durable tyres, but resist cuts significantly better.

I'm going to ride the Cottons next season as well, but only as a fast race tyre and perhaps just for that one epic ride. No daily training miles on them.

That's interesting. I've only run mine for a few hundred miles but will have to keep an eye on them.
One tricky thing about fast tires is that they all have -- to varying degrees -- flimsy sidewalls. It's the only way to get the rolling resistance out of them. It's especially tricky if you do really the only logical thing once you start running fast tires, which is use latex tubes.
Conti gp4000s have been remarkably robust for me in just about every way except one: an off-center strike on a rock with at least some edge to its shape.
The latex will seep out of a hole that may or may not quite be big enough to make the tire a throw-away... and then it will wear and within a few hundred meters or a few miles, the bit sticking out will wear and pop.
In many cases a standard (non-latex) spare tube will work in the tire....
If the cotton turbos are significantly worse that would be pretty bad. Because there is really no point in getting a tire that fast without using latex.

Shrike

by Shrike

No guys, I'm not getting Turbo Cottons for my wet weather ride :D

Maybe if I can find some 4000sII's with yellow walls that'd do then. Not quite tan, but haven't found anything so far that made me all tingly. Anyway, they grip nicely and I've been out in pissing rain in them and felt confident on corners, so happy to stick with them. Actually, had the 23mm version on the front wheel yesterday in the rain and it nearly slid out on a corner! First time trying a 23mm version.

Like to know more about the difference between 23mm and 25mm in terms of grip now but guess that's another thread..

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Marin

by Marin

Get Veloflexes, they are cheap, fast, supple, very light, and much tougher than you'd expect.

They run narrow, so get 25s.

WMW
in the industry

by WMW

Shrike wrote:No guys, I'm not getting Turbo Cottons for my wet weather ride :D

Vittoria Corsa G+ $43: http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/vittoria- ... ding-tyre/
formerly rruff...

PhilippCX

by PhilippCX

Shrike wrote:Like to know more about the difference between 23mm and 25mm in terms of grip now but guess that's another thread..

25 mm and 23 mm with transparent and black sidewall have the same performance as far as the tire itself is concerned. The real world difference comes from the size and shape of the footprint. Wider tires with lower inflation pressure perform better.

Btw. in the current issue of Tour magazine they do a fairly extensive comparison between premium and budget tires of the same brand including GP4000SII in 25 mm and Turbo Cotton in 26 mm. In a nutshell:
- wet grip on same level
- rolling resistance on same level (roughly 2 W advantage for TC)
- weight on same level (TC 10 g heavier)
- puncture resistance best on GP, worst on TC

Worth mentioning: The tread thickness of the TC is about 2/3 of the GP and assuming very similar wear rates that should directly translate to the expected milleage.

Marin

by Marin

However, the one thing the test doesn't say is that the ride quality is miles apart in favor of the T Cotton.

mpulsiv

by mpulsiv

In case you haven't seen this http://www.bicyclerollingresistance.com ... otton-2016

Turbo cotton is supple race tire. If you don't race, keep Continental 4000S II

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Racing is a three-dimensional high-speed chess game, involving hundreds of pieces on the board.

:arrow: CBA = Chronic Bike Addiction
:arrow: OCD = Obsessive Cycling Disorder