50mm Aero Wheel Disappointment

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

hlvd

by hlvd

I bought these http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/prim ... prod142950 wheels and feel so disappointed.

These are almost identical in weight to my Mavic Ksyrium Pro wheels, yet feel like cartwheels going up any incline, but ridiculously fast going down hill and most flats really. They're so fast going down the slightest incline that I've ran out of gears if there's any kind of tailwind.

So, both wheelsets cancel each other out despite being similar weight yet totally different rim profile, is this the case for all aero profile wheels?

I prefer the Ksyrium Pro's climbing ability by a long way, so they're going back on!!

ChiZ01

by ChiZ01

why do you need an aero wheelset again?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

hlvd

by hlvd

ChiZ01 wrote:why do you need an aero wheelset again?

Too be honest I thought it would be a win win situation because of the similar weights, obviously not.

fromtrektocolnago

by fromtrektocolnago

ChiZ01 wrote:why do you need an aero wheelset again?

A lot of riders buy aero wheels for the look. Not the best tool for climbing or riding with cross winds.
Colnago C-59 (Dura Ace)
Firefly(Ultegra)
Colnago C-64 disc(ultegra) with Bora 35 wheels

dj97223

by dj97223

the "feel" could be due to a number of things -- e.g., tire, tire pressure, wheel stiffness; your mind.
“If you save your breath I feel a man like you can manage it. And if you don't manage it, you'll die. Only slowly, very slowly, old friend.”

hlvd

by hlvd

dj97223 wrote:the "feel" could be due to a number of things -- e.g., tire, tire pressure, wheel stiffness; your mind.

It could be a lot to do with that as I've Bontrager R4 320 25mm tyres with latex tubes on the Ksyrium Pro wheels and GP4000s2 23mm and butyl tubes on the carbon wheels.

The R4 320 is a 320tpi tyre and rolls so nice, maybe going back to the GP4000s is what I'm feeling, both measure about the same width.

fa63

by fa63

Try the aero wheels with the same tires and tubes, then report back. Also, make sure the spoke tension is where it needs to be and uniform.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

I have 50mm deep aero wheels that weight 150g more than yours and I go up hills on them just as quick as my 38mm deep 1000g wheels. They may feel a bit different but they are not slower. Certainly not cart wheels. I dont even have the plush tubs that I have on my light wheels on the 50mm deep clinchers. On those I have IRC roadlites which are heavier.

It is not the rim depth that is the problem here. It is something else.

hlvd

by hlvd

bm0p700f wrote:I have 50mm deep aero wheels that weight 150g more than yours and I go up hills on them just as quick as my 38mm deep 1000g wheels. They may feel a bit different but they are not slower. Certainly not cart wheels. I dont even have the plush tubs that I have on my light wheels on the 50mm deep clinchers. On those I have IRC roadlites which are heavier.

It is not the rim depth that is the problem here. It is something else.

It's probably down to feel due to the different tyres, and maybe I'm having a few off days on the bike.

Stueys

by Stueys

Climbing is down to either weight or stiffness, sounds as if your aero wheels aren't stiff enough. I've a set of enve 4.5's and they climb very nicely.

hlvd

by hlvd

Stueys wrote:Climbing is down to either weight or stiffness, sounds as if your aero wheels aren't stiff enough. I've a set of enve 4.5's and they climb very nicely.

That makes sense as I was getting brake rub when out of the saddle, something I didn't experience with the Ksyrium Pro, Ultegra 6800 and Mavic Aksiums I own, in fact it's the first time I've ever experienced brake rub.

Lugan

by Lugan

My Bora One 50 clinchers with 4000S 23c tires climb like scalded cats. The descend, roll on the flat, and sprint the same too. Might be better stiffness and possibly even higher bearing quality.

hlvd

by hlvd

Lugan wrote:My Bora One 50 clinchers with 4000S 23c tires climb like scalded cats. The descend, roll on the flat, and sprint the same too. Might be better stiffness and possibly even higher bearing quality.

What tyre pressure do you use?

cmcdonnell

by cmcdonnell

Since I've put my Bora Ultra 50's on I hate riding my other wheels. Recently tried the Michelin Power Competition Tyres but switched back to Conti GP4000ii's as I did not like the ride of the Michelins so the wheel/tyre combo makes a big difference. I prefer 23mm tyres and the conti's come up big compared to the Michelins so I think that's the main difference and the Conti's definitely grip better. I run them at 95/100 and I'm 56Kg. Seem to climb and roll great.
Bianchi Oltre XR2 + Campagnolo Super Record 11 + Campagnolo Bora 50C
Litespeed T1 + Campagnolo Chorus 11 + Campagnolo Shamal Ultra

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

brake rub means spoke tensions are not high enough not that the wheel is not stiff enought. The wheel is stiff enough but NDs spoke tension may be low and when those spoke loose tension the wheel flops. I really wish we would describe what is happening accuratley.

Bearings make no difference to how a wheel rolls on the road. That is all snake oil.

Wheels with low lateral stiffness or low spoke tensions so the wheel flops given the illusion of low stiffness dont seem to encourage effort by the rider so you dont climb as well.