Share your Road tubeless setups

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

justaute

by justaute

Fixie82 wrote:
FIJIGabe wrote:Just a heads up on using CO2 to seat your tires: in my experience, the cold blast from the CO2 may freeze the sealant used, or cause it to coagulate, eliminating or reducing its effectiveness. If you're going to set up the tires that way, I would recommend using a compressor or a pump like the Bontrager FlashCharger to seat the tires.

Thanks for the heads up but in my experience with MTB this is more of a technicality than a reality. The only manufacturer that is adamant against avoiding Co2 is Stans. I'm not using Stan's sealant and always follow Effetto Mariposa's advice;

the reason why latex sealants solidify when using CO2 cartridges is a physical one; it’s the big thermal shock, which often initiates the polymerization of the sealant. To avoid it, it’s normally sufficient to put the valve at 12-o’clock prior to inflation and let the sealant flow down to the 6-o’clock area, so that it won’t be directly hit by the cold gas. Also, reducing the inflation speed (most CO2 adapters allow it these days) will prevent dropping the temperature too much, good for the sealant … and good for your hands, if you’re not wearing gloves.
Read more at http://velonews.competitor.com/2014/12/ ... 5ppb6kO.99

Doing this with a quick initial blast to seat the tyre then taper off and refill with a standard pump hasn't caused me issues in the past or with the above set ups where it was used. The sealant can still be heard sloshing around. Saying this I do want to pick up an Airshot or the new Giant version now that I have more than one set of tubeless wheels.

bm0p7oof - Interesting you mention the price of the Schwalbe Pro, the reason I bought them was because the IRC RBCC are now over $100 a tyre (I bought 4 sets for a little over $60 each initially). This is twice the price of the Schwalbe so I decided to try them out on my race wheels. The roads I ride are fairly smooth and the crit tracks are excellent so I'm hoping they will be ok. I'll report back here.

Are you outside the US? If not, I did pick up a couple of the new IRC RBCC tires for $64.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Fixie82

by Fixie82

Yep in Australia. Got my initial tyres through Bike Wagon but price has now gone up. $64 is better but still close to $100 AUD at current exchange rate and then add shipping. The Schwalbe are $50 and free shipping when you buy two. Hard to justify the extra expense at the moment, well if the Schwalbe aren't utter crap

thp

by thp

Archetypes
Stans Tape
Orange Seal @ 25ml
IRC Race Lite 25mm
70PSI
Measures 26mm wide

prebsy

by prebsy

Just got my hands on the hard to find schwalbe s-one, rebranded g-one speed for 2017.
Tire: schwalbe s-one 30mm
Rim: kinlin tl21 disc
Tape: one layer of stans
Sealant: none
Pressure: 70psi ,being used for off season road riding.Image

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

Fixie82 yes the schwables are nearly half the price but $100usd per tyre is too much. The formula pro rbcc and fusion x guard i sell for £59 and the roadlite for £45. They are only that expensive because the pound fell of a cliff. The dollar is pretty strong against the pound at present. There is no way they should be 100usd. The formula lights are more pricey but even these are not that expensive. Also the formula light while being light and having very low rolling resistance i have found the sidewalls vunerable to damage by stones. Killed two in races while taking a tight bend and catching a stone. The formula pro light is a time trail tyre.

The rbcc tyres give more wet grip than the pro one (it is one of the grippiest tyres i have tried), longer wear life (if you dont destroy the pro one) and rolling resistance is similar. So while the irc tyres are pricey they pay for themselves. I never got more than 500 miles for a schwable tubeless road tyre. In contrast the irc tyres do me 4 to 5000 km. I am hard on tyres so those that get twice that from clinchers may find the rims wear out first.

However i live in the u.k and the roads here are covered in debris(they are no longer swept), i ride in the dark alot and i do not do my miles on main roads which are fairly clean. I spend most my time on narrow country lanes.

basurper

by basurper

Mavic ksyrium SLR
Schwalbe pro one 23 ~ 95psi
Schwalbe sealant 30ml/tire
Stan's tubeless valve

Somehow I lost 15psi every 4-5days.

Sent from my SM-N9208 using Tapatalk

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

The leak will be from the valve not being seat properly or there being a small ripple other other defect in the taping. Sealant does not fix these leaks.

basurper

by basurper

bm0p700f wrote:The leak will be from the valve not being seat properly or there being a small ripple other other defect in the taping. Sealant does not fix these leaks.

I'll redo the valve. Thanks.

Sent from my SM-N9208 using Tapatalk

glam2deaf

by glam2deaf

Currently I'm running as my training/club race set Vittoria Elusion Nero's with Hutchinson Sector 28's. Loaded up with Stan's sealant and running 90 PSI, haven't had too much playing round wiht lower pressures. But so far been incredible impressed with both the Sectors and the wheels.

Fixie82

by Fixie82

First race, after a couple of recovery rides, with the Schwalbe Pro One 23mm. I like the feel of the tyres, they offer lots of grip and appear to roll well. However I got a slash in the front tyre sometime on the last couple of laps. Was big enough that the sealant only stopped the leak with about 30psi left. Almost lost it in a corner due to the tyre squirm and luckily didn't take anyone out.

Not sure if running a tube would have flatted on a straight or sent me to the pavement but was happy to stay upright. I had won the sprint prime so a little bummed not to be able to finish.

I'll give them the benefit of the doubt for now as the rest of the tyre looks great still and this looks like it would have cut through any tyre. It did need a little glue to seal properly and maybe a patch but will see how the glue holds up.

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

that the best thing about tubeless no blowouts. if you had been using a clincher you could have gone down as you would blown out. So tubeless did keep your skin intact.

Don't judge tubeless road tyres by the pro one. decent grip, low rolling resistance but longevity is not great. i hope your luck with them is better than mine. They are race day tyres.

EvilEuro

by EvilEuro

That's the one thing I noticed in riding the Schwalbe Pro One is that it tends to cut up pretty easily. My only flats in a road tubeless setup came when riding Pro Ones. I loved the grip and feel of the Schwalbes, but three cuts in under 6 months really soured me on them. I've since moved over to the Hutchinson Fusion Galactik 5 and had absolutely no issues over the same roads in 3x's the amount of miles.

I keep seeing the IRC Formula RBCC brought up as being a great tubeless tire, but it seems to be very pricey to purchase. I can find the Hutchinson mentioned above and the Pro One for around 45 per tire. Is there some place that I'm overlooking where the IRC is available at a price that isn't $80 per tire? I'd prefer in the US, but I'll gladly purchase tires overseas if the price is right.

I am due to receive a set of Shamal Ultra C17's next week and would love to give the IRC's a whirl on them soon.

prebsy

by prebsy

The fusion 5 tested really well on bicyclerollingresistance.com . Please keep us updated on how it performs long term!

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

EvilEuro

by EvilEuro

I'm using the 23mm on the current 15mm Shamals, so I am looking forward to trying the 25's on the C17. I'll be sure to keep folks posted after I get the new wheels.

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

The IRC tyres are pricey and there is not way around that. until you try them you will never know why though will you.

this is my front tyre after 3000km (I have added it up now at I have done at least 3000km on them I got bored of adding at this point)
The file thread has not worn at all. Yet they grip like a vittoria Pave in the wet or other similar tyres. The rear looks similar

If you ride in a flinty area no tyre is immune from cuts so cut to me are part of riding. No way to avoid them here unless you stay indoors.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com