Giant SLR 1 DBL WheelSystem tyre width

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

ajmit3

by ajmit3

Hi just got a TCR Advanced SL 2 2016 and its awesome, but want to put on wider tyres ? I think I want to go really wide, whats the widest tyre I can fit?

The rims are advertised as

Giant SLR 1 DBL WheelSystem; 30mm deep, 23mm wide, Full composite

I've got a 23 on there atm, could I get a 28 or 30 on there ?

Ps. this is interesting listening on how people are rethinking high pressure, narrow tyres .... Most of the pros are on 25's.

http://cyclingtips.com/2016/08/cyclingtips-podcast-episode-9-rethinking-road-bike-tire-sizes-and-pressures/

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

jeffy

by jeffy

i would guess you might fit *some* 28s on, but better to find a 'big' 25.

Tomstr

by Tomstr

It sounds like an ERTRO 17 rim, meaning the inner width is 17mm's. Given your bike is a recent model 25's wil usually fit and some 28's will work too.

A photo of the current clearance at it's smallest would help though. Also choosing which tyres you want to run. Michelin Pro4 will stretch whereas the Power's don't.
Ride it like you stole it

mpulsiv

by mpulsiv

It depends on tire. For example, if you mount 25mm Continental 4000S II tire on your Giant SLR 1 wheel, it will measure 27mm. If you mount 25mm Continental 4Season tire, it will measure 25mm.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Racing is a three-dimensional high-speed chess game, involving hundreds of pieces on the board.

:arrow: CBA = Chronic Bike Addiction
:arrow: OCD = Obsessive Cycling Disorder

F45

by F45

The widest tire you can fit will be the widest one that fits on your frame. We can't tell you that. You have to figure it out for yourself.

peted76

by peted76

I have a giant TCR 2016 running the same rims and am running a 25mm conti GP2 on the rear.
Compared to my last TCR (2013) the clearance is much better, I was talking with a mate about this last night, I think I could get a 'small' 28mm tyre to fit.
However I'm not going to, why, bad experience in wet weather getting the odd stone or grit build up with small clearance tolerances. Tubeless 25mm and the extra clearance for me thank you.

mpulsiv

by mpulsiv

peted76 wrote:I have a giant TCR 2016 running the same rims and am running a 25mm conti GP2 on the rear.
Compared to my last TCR (2013) the clearance is much better, I was talking with a mate about this last night, I think I could get a 'small' 28mm tyre to fit.
However I'm not going to, why, bad experience in wet weather getting the odd stone or grit build up with small clearance tolerances. Tubeless 25mm and the extra clearance for me thank you.

25mm Continental GP4000SII measure at 27mm on Giant SLR 1 wheels. If you mount 28mm tires, they measure ~30mm. Now, I wonder whether tire clearance is wider on Defy next to TCR.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Racing is a three-dimensional high-speed chess game, involving hundreds of pieces on the board.

:arrow: CBA = Chronic Bike Addiction
:arrow: OCD = Obsessive Cycling Disorder

ajmit3

by ajmit3

Thank you all for your helpful feedback. 25 4000S it is . I agree with Peted . Thanks Mplusiv and everyone who posted once again.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

emotive

by emotive

mpulsiv wrote:25mm Continental GP4000SII measure at 27mm on Giant SLR 1 wheels. If you mount 28mm tires, they measure ~30mm. Now, I wonder whether tire clearance is wider on Defy next to TCR.

I'm running 28mm GP4000S II on my 2015 Defy Advanced Pro 1 (Disc). My stock SL rims are 23mm outer, 19mm inner. The tyres measure 29.5mm wide, and roll great. No loss of top speed, and setting good PRs on descents with the extra cornering grip/confidence. I'm running 50psi front, 60psi rear, 78kg rider.

Clearance is still good. Could possibly fit 32mm wide tyres. Challenge Strada bianche 30C Open Tubular fit the 2017 Defy, might give them a try next.