Dura Ace 9000 C24 vs Fulcrum Racing Zero (or Zero Nite)

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

nemeseri

by nemeseri

Multebear wrote:And BTW, I really don't get the excitement about C24's. Take a lok at the rim profile. It's a boxsection rim with uneven surface at the spokeholes. Air will not pass that surface as easily as many other rims like, Pacenti, Hed, Flo30, some Kinlin models or other U shaped alloy rims.

The C24 is an old design with old technology. Shimano will have to come up with a new design, if they want to stay in the game.

It's an outstanding wheelset for the price. I got mine for $695 new and shipped in the US. My hand built archetypes with white industries T11s are also nice, but I like the C24 and dura ace hubs slightly better and sincerely I find absolutely no difference in handling. Obviously they are not aero at all, but they weren't designed to be that and I just really can't believe that anything under 40mm makes any real world difference, especially with 23/24mm outer widths. You would have to run 20-22mm tires to give the rims some chance to clean up the air behind the tire.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Multebear

by Multebear

nemeseri wrote:
It's an outstanding wheelset for the price. I got mine for $695 new and shipped in the US. My hand built archetypes with white industries T11s are also nice, but I like the C24 and dura ace hubs slightly better and sincerely I find absolutely no difference in handling. Obviously they are not aero at all, but they weren't designed to be that and I just really can't believe that anything under 40mm makes any real world difference, especially with 23/24mm outer widths. You would have to run 20-22mm tires to give the rims some chance to clean up the air behind the tire.

In Europe they are around 800-900 euros. That is the most expensive alloy wheelset on the market. Maybe they are outstanding, but the price tag certainly is outstanding too.

And both Dura Ace and WI T11 hubs are the finest there are. But the archetypes with their greater width should be way better cornering than the C24. That said the Archetypes aren't the most aero rims, there are. HED Belgiums or Pacentis are more aero.

But I agree, the real world difference is marginal.

nemeseri

by nemeseri

Multebear wrote:In Europe they are around 800-900 euros. That is the most expensive alloy wheelset on the market. Maybe they are outstanding, but the price tag certainly is outstanding too.

And both Dura Ace and WI T11 hubs are the finest there are. But the archetypes with their greater width should be way better cornering than the C24. That said the Archetypes aren't the most aero rims, there are. HED Belgiums or Pacentis are more aero.

But I agree, the real world difference is marginal.

I wouldn't call them the most expensive alloy wheelset on the market. Fulcrum (racing zero), campagnolo (shamal ultra), zipp (30) and mavic (ksyrium pro) all have wheels with similar prices and features. My archetypes costed a couple of hundred bucks more and they are ~100-150g heavier. That's hefty price for being 2mm wider. Obviously at this level there is no big difference between the wheels, all of them are great with slightly different focus (weight, wider inner/outer width, more stiffness, serviceable parts etc.).

Multebear

by Multebear

nemeseri wrote:
My archetypes costed a couple of hundred bucks more and they are ~100-150g heavier.

True, but at least you can rebuild them after the rims have worn down, you could even choose a different type of rim with new spokes as well. On top of that you have the titanium freehub body. The c24 are nearly impossibole to rebuild after wear. I haven't seen c24 replacment rims anywhere. And that shimano 20/18 spokeconfig is really a hazzle to get true, especially with that shitty odd sized spokewrench, that comes with the wheels.

And there are several other wheelsets with that pricetag. But at least the fulcrums have a modern rim shape.

mpulsiv

by mpulsiv

Multebear wrote:Tubeless is a fine all-round solution. But I don't think it adds anything for road racing. For cyclocross it's definitely a win. For road racing rolling resistance is bigger than a good tire/latex tube combo.

And don't get caught up by details about rolling resistance in hubs. The difference between good hubs is non existent in the real world - less than 0.2 watts. Dura Ace hubs are the top of the line, but so are fulcrums/campagnolo and several other brands.

The benefit (if any) with Shimano hubs is way less, than the loss with tubeless roadtires.

And BTW, I really don't get the excitement about C24's. Take a lok at the rim profile. It's a boxsection rim with uneven surface at the spokeholes. Air will not pass that surface as easily as many other rims like, Pacenti, Hed, Flo30, some Kinlin models or other U shaped alloy rims.

The C24 is an old design with old technology. Shimano will have to come up with a new design, if they want to stay in the game.

+1

Shimano C24 is 3 year old technology. They are narrow with boxy rim profile. Phenomenal Dura Ace hub will require more maintenance in contrast to sealed hub but will last forever!
Take a look at Boyd Altamont wheels. Light, stiff, wide and U shape http://www.boydcycling.com/2016-altamon ... ront-wheel

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Racing is a three-dimensional high-speed chess game, involving hundreds of pieces on the board.

:arrow: CBA = Chronic Bike Addiction
:arrow: OCD = Obsessive Cycling Disorder

Multebear

by Multebear

Those Boyd Altamon look interesting. Weight and shape looks a lot like Pacenti. Doesn't seem like one can buy rims only, though.

nemeseri

by nemeseri

Multebear wrote:+1

Shimano C24 is 3 year old technology. They are narrow with boxy rim profile. Phenomenal Dura Ace hub will require more maintenance in contrast to sealed hub but will last forever!
Take a look at Boyd Altamont wheels. Light, stiff, wide and U shape http://www.boydcycling.com/2016-altamon ... ront-wheel

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that the C24 is the best wheelset for everyone out there. I'd look at them as the baseline in this category. Want something wider? Go with boyd. Want a modern shape? Go with handbuilt pacenti. Want something stiffer? Go with fulcrum. Each of these choices will compromise something in return.

I, personally, can't get too excited about modern rim shapes and super wide rims under 40mm. But that's just me.

Multebear wrote:And there are several other wheelsets with that pricetag. But at least the fulcrums have a modern rim shape.

Yeah, but these are the racing zero carbons and they cost more than twice as the C24s. The standard racing zeros have a 15mm inner width with a 20.5mm outer width. Exactly like the C24s.

mpulsiv

by mpulsiv

nemeseri wrote:
Multebear wrote:+1

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that the C24 is the best wheelset for everyone out there. I'd look at them as the baseline in this category. Want something wider? Go with boyd. Want a modern shape? Go with handbuilt pacenti. Want something stiffer? Go with fulcrum. Each of these choices will compromise something in return.

I, personally, can't get too excited about modern rim shapes and super wide rims under 40mm. But that's just me.

Multebear wrote:And there are several other wheelsets with that pricetag. But at least the fulcrums have a modern rim shape.

Yeah, but these are the racing zero carbons and they cost more than twice as the C24s. The standard racing zeros have a 15mm inner width with a 20.5mm outer width. Exactly like the C24s.

Pacenti SL23 is nothing special. This rim is all about the weight savings, hence thin sidewalls, not as stiff as competition, 26mm deep and not true U shape. There are reports of cracks in V1 as well as V2. I speak highly of Boyd Altamont because their wheels are built right. It's 30mm deep, true U shape, wide inner and outer, stiff wide flange hubs, easy to mount tires.

Racing is a three-dimensional high-speed chess game, involving hundreds of pieces on the board.

:arrow: CBA = Chronic Bike Addiction
:arrow: OCD = Obsessive Cycling Disorder

Multebear

by Multebear

mpulsiv wrote:
Pacenti SL23 is nothing special. This rim is all about the weight savings, hence thin sidewalls, not as stiff as competition, 26mm deep and not true U shape. There are reports of cracks in V1 as well as V2. I speak highly of Boyd Altamont because their wheels are built right. It's 30mm deep, true U shape, wide inner and outer, stiff wide flange hubs, easy to mount tires.

Do the Altamont rims only come as complete wheelsets?

reknop

by reknop

pdlpsher1 wrote:IMHO hand built wheels at the 1,250 g range have sacrifices in stiffness and hub reliability. There's no free lunch and something has to give.

I'm riding a pair of Mavic Ksyrium SLR wheels with the Exalith rim surface. The rim-design is also old technology but braking in wet conditions is perfect, especially with Conti Grand Prix 4000 II or Specialized S-Works Turbo tires. The weight of wheels without tires is 1355 grams which is pretty sharp for an all round alloy wheel-set.

I wanted to have a lighter set of wheels and came up with these Extralite SP hubs (yes those need more maintenance) and the Stan's NoTubes ZTR Alpha 340 Clincher rims. With a claimed weight of 1172 grams almost as light as a top tubular carbon wheelset. https://r2-bike.com/Wheelset-28-Extrali ... -Ray-RR-CX

Fellow weightweenie 964Cup shared is experience (lack of stiffness with tubeless tires) viewtopic.php?f=113&t=138690&start=60. And this stiffness is a subjective and personal measure.

Old and proven technology isn't that bad ... weightsavings don't compensate fitness. :-)
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
https://www.cycling-review.net

fromtrektocolnago

by fromtrektocolnago

mpulsiv wrote:
Multebear wrote:Tubeless is a fine all-round solution. But I don't think it adds anything for road racing. For cyclocross it's definitely a win. For road racing rolling resistance is bigger than a good tire/latex tube combo.

And don't get caught up by details about rolling resistance in hubs. The difference between good hubs is non existent in the real world - less than 0.2 watts. Dura Ace hubs are the top of the line, but so are fulcrums/campagnolo and several other brands.

The benefit (if any) with Shimano hubs is way less, than the loss with tubeless roadtires.

And BTW, I really don't get the excitement about C24's. Take a lok at the rim profile. It's a boxsection rim with uneven surface at the spokeholes. Air will not pass that surface as easily as many other rims like, Pacenti, Hed, Flo30, some Kinlin models or other U shaped alloy rims.

+1

I don't get this 'old technology' comment. The wheels either ride well or they don't. I'm in the camp that feels C-24 wheels are great performers and thoroughly enjoy them. I get how wider profile rims are all the rage now. In a few years it will be something else.
Colnago C-59 (Dura Ace)
Firefly(Ultegra)
Colnago C-64 disc(ultegra) with Bora 35 wheels

Multebear

by Multebear

fromtrektocolnago wrote:
I don't get this 'old technology' comment. The wheels either ride well or they don't.

Feel isn't the same as performance. I've got a very slow (32/32 round spokes, boxsection rim) and heavy (2.120 grams) wheelset, that rides extremely well.