Question about building custom alloy wheels for 165lbs. rider

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

byhsu

by byhsu

Hello:

I am interested in building a new set of wheels with the Kinlin XC279 rim. They are under $50 right now, so they are in my budget.

I do a lot of climbing but i also ride some rolling hills and some flats.

Would like something under 1500 grams.

Would i be OK with 20 spokes front and 24 rear with these rims?

Is using Sapim Lasers ok for front and back?

or would it be better going 20F/28R with the Laser all around?

or going 20F/24R with Laser in front and Race in Rear?

Thank You

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

F45

by F45

I would do: 20F/24R with Laser in front and Race in Rear.

Multebear

by Multebear

I wouldn't focus too much about bodyweight vs. which kind of spokes. I'd focus more on bodyweight vs. number of spokes. You'll gain more by adding 4 spokes than choosing different kind of spokes. That said, with 165 lbs which is around 75 kg, I wouldn't worry about going 20/24. It's close to the limit, but it's not over the limit. If you're not too worried about performance, and since you want lasers or race spokes then you're probably not, then 20/28 would be the safe bet.

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

Type of spoke does nae s difference. It is s stiff rim. You would be fine with lasers.

The stiffer the spoke thr stiffer the wheel and the smaller the tension changes in each revolution. This in turn means longer spoke life. If you have acess to sapim force or the cx force spoke if you fancy using cx rays on the front then you will find the thicker elbow extends spoke life further. I weigh more than the op and have no issue with 24 spoke disc brake rims using cx rays on a bike that weighs 16kg with the panniers.

There is no limit it all depends on the oeral tiffness of the rm. The archetype for example s jot a very stiff rm so race would be need on the back to create a stable wheel in the lng run but the xc 279 is much stiffer so thinner spokes will work out well but thicker spokes wont hirt either.

What is more important is buildingnit properly.