Shimano 9000 C24 vs Reynolds Assault SLG

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Multebear

by Multebear

mpulsiv wrote:
I find it amusing as how many people on this forum solely rely on others to do their homework. The most powerful tool is front of you, called "search" and don't forget patience.

I've been reading every piece of information about wheels, rims, hubs and spokes for several years now. I even build my own wheels, and have build at least 12 wheelsets over the last couple of years, all of them which I ride myself.

I'm just curious to what you might have to add. I'm always hungry for new wisdom regarding wheels.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mpulsiv

by mpulsiv

That's great! Kiddos to anyone who is hungry for wisdom. Obviously fundamentals doesn't apply to you. Historically, the questions about wheels are formed without any thought. Sure, there's no such thing as stupid question but in my humble opinion, it doesn't take much effort to learn something new when it comes to your favorite hobby.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Racing is a three-dimensional high-speed chess game, involving hundreds of pieces on the board.

:arrow: CBA = Chronic Bike Addiction
:arrow: OCD = Obsessive Cycling Disorder

Tmanamana

by Tmanamana

mpulsiv wrote:
Tmanamana wrote:No I'm confused are you saying both of these wheel sets aren't great?

Do you understand what makes a great wheel?

Well I guess being round is a good start!

I was under the impression this was a wheel forum not a general trolling.
People are generally looking for some guidance from other riders with more experience..

mpulsiv

by mpulsiv

Tmanamana wrote:
mpulsiv wrote:
Tmanamana wrote:No I'm confused are you saying both of these wheel sets aren't great?

Do you understand what makes a great wheel?

Well I guess being round is a good start!

I was under the impression this was a wheel forum not a general trolling.
People are generally looking for some guidance from other riders with more experience..

@Tmanamana
Congratulations on your 2 posts. You have "0" credibility on this forum yet you bring up general trolling?
What's wrong with valid question like "Do you understand what makes a great wheel?"
Racing is a three-dimensional high-speed chess game, involving hundreds of pieces on the board.

:arrow: CBA = Chronic Bike Addiction
:arrow: OCD = Obsessive Cycling Disorder

Tmanamana

by Tmanamana

Deep breath let's start again, I was aiming to bring the topic back on track to original poster.

No I don't really know what makes a good wheel, that why we're asking for feedback from others that do.

dunMisk

by dunMisk

Ok, so we actually have two questions now. C24 vs Assault and 'What makes a great wheel?'. Here's my view:

A theoretical great wheel:
- As light as possible (1450-isch is light enough for me)
- As stiff as say a 60mm or higher carbon rimmed wheel (good bracing angle)
- Braking as good as alu braking, in dry and wet
- A hub with big enough bearings for smooth rolling and prolonged life
- Easy replaceable spokes
- The sexy black look + subdued graphics (I like the Easton/Roval type of graphics)
- As little as possible reaction to side wind
- Maximum aero*
- Clincher for practicallity
- A wide rim has a better rolling resistance and corners better

You could personally score each of these factors and decide what you think is important. A couple of aspects to work with:
- The difference between a mid-wheel vs a >60mm only differs about 4 watts. (Tour magazine, 8/2016, 19 aero wheelsets tested)
- A light rim is more important then a light hub
- I feel the difference between a small and a wide rim, and really prefer a wide rim
- I forfeit the black look for the alu-braking power.
- I tried tubulars, and although I never flatted, I couldn't shake the feeling of what if...

So for me, a wide rim, medium height, aluminium, which is as strong as possible and also as light as possible is for me the best possibl wheel.

Now to the C24 vs Assault discussion. I have the C24's. I have ridden 45mm carbon clinchers (not the reynolds):
- I think the C24's are to narrow. They are build very well. Look very good, but to narrow. I'm going to sell them.
- The Reynolds: In the tour mag article, they deformed under heavy breaking (as did several chinese rims and older DT-swiss rims, new were ok). If you want to go carbon, go with Zipp, newer DT-swiss or Campagnolo/fulcrum. For price/performance-wise, the fulcrum Quattro were really good.

*Aero on a wheelset is only a small part of your general aero profile. First, get a aero position, good fitting jersey (you need more then one), aero helmet, aero frameset and then a aero wheelset.**

**Aero only becomes important if you have your bike-fit, training-plan and food sorted out. A good bike-fit can instantly generate +10 watts. Your training-plan should incorporate twice a week interval-training. Your food intake should focus on enough proteine for recovery and suffient carb-intake pre-ride for enough muscle cel glycogen

Now I stop, sorry for overkill.