Meilenstein clinchers/tubs

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

kgt I have punctured a gatorskin tub. I did nothing wrong I just rode down a road in a british winter. It is called flint + rain it cuts through everything even gatorskins.

Tubs though are better than clinchers. Inner tubes only belong in tubulars it should be a law.

It amazes me why you head scratced for week. Welcome to your new tub addiction. You will have many tubs soon, all prepped and ready to go.
I have a set of wheels with gatorskin tubs ready for winter and several spare tubs ready as spares as you never know. This is your future enjoy it.

Steve_W

by Steve_W

I have to say, I'd had nearly 3 years of riding tubs....it just seemed I was puncturing every other ride, pit stop very rarely worked.
I hated carrying a spare tub (this is weightweenies remember)
But agree loved the ride quality/looks of tubulars.
I was 50/50 to get clincher over tubs but what tilted slightly in favour of tubs was the durability of the rim design over carbon clinchers, especially with lightweight rims not being a replaceable item.
Hopefully I'll have a better run this time.
Cheers for all the advice and comments.

Steve

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Steve_W

by Steve_W

cyclespeed wrote:You can make very nice coat hangers out of damaged Lightweights. You can get 4 per wheel....(seriously!)

Depends how big your shoulders are.... :D

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

depends which tubs you where using though. I am a puncture magnet with tubed clinchers but with conti tubs the puncture fairly mostly stays away.

Steve_W

by Steve_W

I was on conti comps.....within a 16 month summer period I had 5 punctures and 2 split valves.
I've been riding the last 2 years on conti GP 4000 clinchers, 1 puncture.

snaaijer

by snaaijer

Lafolie wrote:I prefer the comfort of latex tubes over butyl. Sadly you can't run latex tubes with carbon clinchers

Why not?

iliedanila

by iliedanila

Because latex tubes are more sensitive to heat build up from the rim

Sent from my SM-G928F using Tapatalk

TonyM

by TonyM

Latex tubes on carbon rims are ok - as long as you don't ride your bike in the mountains.

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

Latex is not ok on an aluminum or carbon clincher, on mountainous or flat terrain. Latex only belongs in a tubular rim. That's why Conti doesn't sell a latex tube separately but they sell tubular tires with latex tubes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nefarious86

by Nefarious86

So in my clincher Disc/808 wheels that I TT on and brake for approximately 2 x 10s in 25km it's not safe? Or how about my disc brake clincer wheels?
Using Tapatalk

TonyM

by TonyM

Deleted

Andres

by Andres

kgt wrote:If punctures is your problem then just buy a pair of Continental Gatorskins. You will never puncture unless you do something completely wrong. Not the nicest tire of course but a 25mm one at 90psi would feel ok.
I cannot see though how a clincher tire would puncture less. The opposite is usually the case.

There's got to be some sort of rule about installing Gatorskins on LWs. I will very much disagree that 25s (which look huge on the Meilensteins) at 90psi would feel OK. They'd feel better than at 110psi, but they'll still feel terrible.

In terms of punctures on clinchers, it's not the frequency of the punctures that typically concern people, it's the process of replacing the puncture.

kgt

by kgt

dre_lo82 wrote:There's got to be some sort of rule about installing Gatorskins on LWs. I will very much disagree that 25s (which look huge on the Meilensteins) at 90psi would feel OK. They'd feel better than at 110psi, but they'll still feel terrible.

You have to strech them in a tubular rim and then it's a piece of cake to install them. I disagree about 25mm looking huge etc. I have one glued on my rear LW Ventoux and it is fine. They look as tires always used to look on rims and they perform fine (except their mediocre ride quality of course).

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Steve_W

by Steve_W

My veloflex arenbergs 25mm look spot on, conti comps 25mm looked huge....in fact they are Hugh and wouldn't fit my fork.