Lightest wheel option for a heavy criterium rider ?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

ProfessorChaos
in the industry

by ProfessorChaos

As you can see the hub is a quite slippery design. I've ridden my fare share of different manufacturer's wheels, but these CLX64's are truly impressive. I really want to try the tubular version next.

kgt

by kgt

Specialized will soon claim that they 've invented the wheel...

Corima aero+ carbon hubs, introduced more than 10 years ago:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ProfessorChaos
in the industry

by ProfessorChaos

Very similar indeed. It wouldn't surprise me if the Corima hubs were tested in the tunnel and inspired the design.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

I really need to find a good "head banging on table" gif that I can insert at will for times like these.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

mimason

by mimason

Here you go, but a wall instead.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Lol! That works!
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

iliedanila

by iliedanila

Give this man a cookie. He's smart.

Sent from my SM-G928F using Tapatalk

Marin

by Marin

Looks like the Corima uses standard spokes, which is cool.

AZK

by AZK

ProfessorChaos wrote:As you can see the hub is a quite slippery design. I've ridden my fare share of different manufacturer's wheels, but these CLX64's are truly impressive. /quote]

kgt wrote:Corima aero+ carbon hubs, introduced more than 10 years ago:

Great looking slick hubs. The Corima gives me the impression of a spider coming out a burrow....in a good looking and sexy way :?

Multebear

by Multebear

If your focus is on crits, then you should consider light and shallow rims, not deep rims. Since there are a lot of accelerations, weight will be of some importance rather than aero. Aero is still an important factor, but weight is definitely important too. I would look for some lighter rims in the 30-40 mm area.

Besides that, the more I think about it, with your weight you shouldn't aim for light hubs at all. Actually I think the right hub for you would be White Industries T11. They are a bit heavier than the other ones mentioned, but they are so strong, that you'd 20/24 spoke config wouldn't be a problem. If your choosing something like the Tune Mig/Mags, then I wouldn't go below 24/28 with your weight. But with the whites, 20/24 would be fine. And you definitely rather want fewer spokes, than lighter hubs.

ProfessorChaos
in the industry

by ProfessorChaos

The Corima rear hub that matches these are interesting to say the least.

As for the White Industries suggestion. Those hubs are rather stout. I have a custom wheelset with 32sp hubs laced to DT hoops that is rather bomb proof. I've never had to do as much as true them, and they used to roll on my beater bike that I didn't treat very nice.

I would disagree about the lighter rim idea. A deeper wheel will help out a sizeable amount in a field sprint. They can be the difference of a bike length or two in 100m sprint depending on the wheels being compared. Obviously, they would help out a ton if you find yourself in a break as well. I rarely ever see anyone running wheels much less than 50mm in crit racing, and for a good reason. I would say stick to tubies to keep it as light as possible, with whatever aero rim you choose.

dmulligan

by dmulligan

I also like White Industries hubs. Being a heavier rider at 85kg I find that cassettes become embedded/notched into aluminium freehub bodies. It doesn't happen with steel or titanium. White Industries uses titanium for theirs.

D

Sent from my Oneplus One using Tapatalk

Multebear

by Multebear

ProfessorChaos wrote:
I would disagree about the lighter rim idea. A deeper wheel will help out a sizeable amount in a field sprint. They can be the difference of a bike length or two in 100m sprint depending on the wheels being compared. Obviously, they would help out a ton if you find yourself in a break as well. I rarely ever see anyone running wheels much less than 50mm in crit racing, and for a good reason. I would say stick to tubies to keep it as light as possible, with whatever aero rim you choose.

I'm not familiar with how it is to ride crits in the states. We don't ride as many crits here in europe as you do in the states. But the crits that we ride in the cat 1 or cat 2 races here, rarely end in a bunch sprint. 4 out of 5 end with a brakeaway. This means that there is a lot of stop and go until the brake is made. I would definitely choose deeper section rims for longer races, but with a lot of stop and go, it makes sense with lighter rims because of all the accellerations. I have both a set of 38 and a set of 50 mm clinchers. I prefer the 38's for crits. But maybe the races develop differently in the states, which makes 50 mm more relevant.
Last edited by Multebear on Mon Aug 08, 2016 12:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AZK

by AZK

Thanks for all the input guys. much appreciated. :beerchug:

ProfessorChaos wrote:A deeper wheel will help out a sizeable amount in a field sprint. They can be the difference of a bike length or two in 100m sprint depending on the wheels being compared. Obviously, they would help out a ton if you find yourself in a break as well. I rarely ever see anyone running wheels much less than 50mm in crit racing, and for a good reason. I would say stick to tubies to keep it as light as possible, with whatever aero rim you choose.

2 Bike lengths that's what I'm talking about 8) ! never knew it could help that much. The added help in a break would also be much appreciated.

dmulligan wrote:I also like White Industries hubs. Being a heavier rider at 85kg I find that cassettes become embedded/notched into aluminium freehub bodies. It doesn't happen with steel or titanium. White Industries uses titanium for theirs.

Ah, This would also be a good benefit, had to use a hammer to lightly tap the cogs out of my current freehub as they were totally jammed in. I assume the PX freehub is aluminium then.

Multebear wrote:
I'm not familiar with how it is to ride crits in the states. We don't ride as many crits here in europe as you do in the states. But the crits that we ride in the cat 1 or cat 2 races here, rarely end in a bunch sprint. 4 out of 5 end with a brakeaway. This means that there is a lot of stop and go until the brake is made. I would definitely choose deeper section rims for longer races, but with a lot of stop and go, it makes sence with lighter rims because of all the accellerations. I have both a set of 38 and a set of 50 mm clinchers. I prefer the 38's for crits. But maybe the races develop differently in the states, which makes 50 mm more relevant.

Good points racing here (UK) does tend to end in a break 8/10 times. However I have yet to be able to survive in a break, FTP is not my strong point. All my best results have come from a sprint finish.

Multebear wrote:
Besides that, the more I think about it, with your weight you shouldn't aim for light hubs at all. Actually I think the right hub for you would be White Industries T11. They are a bit heavier than the other ones mentioned, but they are so strong, that you'd 20/24 spoke config wouldn't be a problem. If your choosing something like the Tune Mig/Mags, then I wouldn't go below 24/28 with your weight. But with the whites, 20/24 would be fine. And you definitely rather want fewer spokes, than lighter hubs.

I've followed your advice and scratched light hubs off my list, The T11 Looks good :) I was under the impression that more spokes are always better unless the rim (not the hub) can substitute the lower spoke count? When you say less spoke are possible on a stronger hub, I assume this has to do with the flange strength being able to take loading at bigger intervals with more point load?

So in summary

24 spoke Front - Radial possible? , It looks better :) or would this be 2x lacing as well.
28 Spoke Rear - 2x both sides or even 3x ?
52 x CX-Ray spokes +/- 240g
Nipples - 30g ?
Corima 73mm Tubular rim 435g each (Again love the look of this 12k radial weave rim)
'Mid' weight Front hub - CK R45 for weight reference - 102g
'Mid' weight Rear hub - CK R45 for weight reference - 226g

Total = 1468g

The Bora 50 One is around 1265g with 18/21 lacing, Ultra saves about an extra 40g.

Would the extra 200g make a stiffer more durable wheel in this case?

PS. Could a mod change the title to something like 'Lightest wheel option for a fat crit rider'

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

helldiver

by helldiver

It's very hard for me to imagine more durable wheel then Campagnolo Bora... Multiple times I did hit a huge pothole, rode over edge in concrete at full-speed, they are still laterally and radially true and the hubs are just superb. Regarding stiffness, that' harder, they are definitely enough stiff for me, never experienced brake rub (and I run brake pads quite close to the rim) but I'm not very powerful rider (1020W in sprint).