Lightest wheel option for a heavy criterium rider ?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Multebear

by Multebear

AZK wrote:
Multebear wrote:
I'm not familiar with how it is to ride crits in the states. We don't ride as many crits here in europe as you do in the states. But the crits that we ride in the cat 1 or cat 2 races here, rarely end in a bunch sprint. 4 out of 5 end with a brakeaway. This means that there is a lot of stop and go until the brake is made. I would definitely choose deeper section rims for longer races, but with a lot of stop and go, it makes sence with lighter rims because of all the accellerations. I have both a set of 38 and a set of 50 mm clinchers. I prefer the 38's for crits. But maybe the races develop differently in the states, which makes 50 mm more relevant.

Good points racing here (UK) does tend to end in a break 8/10 times. However I have yet to be able to survive in a break, FTP is not my strong point. All my best results have come from a sprint finish.

Multebear wrote:
Besides that, the more I think about it, with your weight you shouldn't aim for light hubs at all. Actually I think the right hub for you would be White Industries T11. They are a bit heavier than the other ones mentioned, but they are so strong, that you'd 20/24 spoke config wouldn't be a problem. If your choosing something like the Tune Mig/Mags, then I wouldn't go below 24/28 with your weight. But with the whites, 20/24 would be fine. And you definitely rather want fewer spokes, than lighter hubs.

I've followed your advice and scratched light hubs off my list, The T11 Looks good :) I was under the impression that more spokes are always better unless the rim (not the hub) can substitute the lower spoke count? When you say less spoke are possible on a stronger hub, I assume this has to do with the flange strength being able to take loading at bigger intervals with more point load?

So in summary

24 spoke Front - Radial possible? , It looks better :) or would this be 2x lacing as well.
28 Spoke Rear - 2x both sides or even 3x ?
52 x CX-Ray spokes +/- 240g
Nipples - 30g ?
Corima 73mm Tubular rim 435g each (Again love the look of this 12k radial weave rim)
'Mid' weight Front hub - CK R45 for weight reference - 102g
'Mid' weight Rear hub - CK R45 for weight reference - 226g

Total = 1468g

The Bora 50 One is around 1265g with 18/21 lacing, Ultra saves about an extra 40g.

Would the extra 200g make a stiffer more durable wheel in this case?

PS. Could a mod change the title to something like 'Lightest wheel option for a fat crit rider'

You can change the title yourself by editing the title in the first post.

The number of spokes is mostly decided by your weight so that the nipples don't get loose and the spokes eventually brake or at least need regular retensioning. But if you're aiming at the lowest number of spokes possible with your weight, you definitely don't want the hubs to be the weak spot. When designing light hubs, the manufacturers shave as much material of as possible. With 100 kg I'd say you'd be somewhere between a 24/28 and 20/24 config depending on the rimdepth. If you're going 50 mm or more on 25 mm wide rims, then 20/24 should be fine. You could also consider 20/28.

24 spoke front would preferably be 2x. 28 spoke rear would be 3x. Radial lacing only with 20 spokes er less, and only front. It os possible to do 16:8 or 18:9 lacing rear with radial lacing on NDS, but you'd probably want advice from bm0p700f for that.

I haven't checked your math regarding weigt difference between Corima/CK R45 vs Boras, but are you sure, that you are comparing clinchers with clinchers and vice versa? And if you want to compare, make sure that both depth and width are the same. Campagnolo build very stiff, light and durable wheels. But they have been a bit late with modern rimshape (U shape and width)

AZK

by AZK

Multebear wrote:
You can change the title yourself by editing the title in the first post.

You could also consider 20/28.

24 spoke front would preferably be 2x. 28 spoke rear would be 3x. Radial lacing only with 20 spokes er less, and only front. It os possible to do 16:8 or 18:9 lacing rear with radial lacing on NDS, but you'd probably want advice from bm0p700f for that.

I haven't checked your math regarding weigt difference between Corima/CK R45 vs Boras, but are you sure, that you are comparing clinchers with clinchers and vice versa? And if you want to compare, make sure that both depth and width are the same. Campagnolo build very stiff, light and durable wheels. But they have been a bit late with modern rimshape (U shape and width)

Title changed :thumbup:

20/28 sounds more visually pleasing, still 2 more spokes than the radial front of the Bora that many seem happy with.

16:8 or 18:9 triplet lacing, Now things are getting exciting! I'll probably have to sort this detail when I finalise a wheel builder. Any suggestions?

In my above weight comparison they are both tubular rim options but in different configuration. The Bora is 18/21 50x24.2mm and the Corima is 24/28 73x22.6mm.

I guess a Bora 80 (Tubular only) would be a closer comparison at 1520g 80x24.2mm but that only has 16/18 spokes

helldiver wrote:It's very hard for me to imagine more durable wheel then Campagnolo Bora... Multiple times I did hit a huge pothole, rode over edge in concrete at full-speed, they are still laterally and radially true and the hubs are just superb. Regarding stiffness, that' harder, they are definitely enough stiff for me, never experienced brake rub (and I run brake pads quite close to the rim) but I'm not very powerful rider (1020W in sprint).

Very impressed by this wheelsets strength to weight, especially after considering that it only has a 18 spoke radial front and 7 NDS rear spokes!
Last edited by AZK on Mon Aug 08, 2016 2:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Multebear

by Multebear

AZK wrote:
16:8 or 18:9 triplet lacing, Now things are getting exciting! I'll probably have to sort this detail when I finalise a wheel builder. Any suggestions?

Where are you located?

AZK

by AZK

Multebear wrote:
Where are you located?

Channel Islands, UK. I was thinking of using Starbike as they have the parts I wanted to use.

Multebear

by Multebear

AZK wrote:
Multebear wrote:
Where are you located?

Channel Islands, UK. I was thinking of using Starbike as they have the parts I wanted to use.

bm0p700f has given me a lot of very useful advice, and I've bought two sets of hubs from him as well.

http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk

He is one of the most competent wheel builders in here.

If you're considering the WI T11 hubs, then you might as well consider Dura Ace hubs. They have also the titanium body. And Shimano are known for their high quality and durable hubs - impossible to kill no matter the abuse. I'd probably choose Dura Ace over Whites, since they are better priced.

AZK

by AZK

Multebear wrote:
AZK wrote:
Multebear wrote:
Where are you located?

bm0p700f has given me a lot of very useful advice, and I've bought two sets of hubs from him as well.

http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk

He is one of the most competent wheel builders in here.

If you're considering the WI T11 hubs, then you might as well consider Dura Ace hubs. They have also the titanium body. And Shimano are known for their high quality and durable hubs - impossible to kill no matter the abuse. I'd probably choose Dura Ace over Whites, since they are better priced.

Thanks, I'll get in contact with him.

AZK

by AZK

Update for those interested

So after being in contact with a few builders the Corima 73 seems to be a risky option due to sourcing issues up till delamination issues.

ENVE rims have been the suggested alternative or an 'unbranded' variant of a 12k weave rim if I'd like to go for the aesthetics close to the Corima.

I will be putting these wheels on a RB1K. Does anyone know If there is enough clearance for a 27.5 and 29mm wide rim?

sawyer

by sawyer

AZK wrote:Thanks for all the input guys. much appreciated. :beerchug:

ProfessorChaos wrote:A deeper wheel will help out a sizeable amount in a field sprint. They can be the difference of a bike length or two in 100m sprint depending on the wheels being compared. Obviously, they would help out a ton if you find yourself in a break as well. I rarely ever see anyone running wheels much less than 50mm in crit racing, and for a good reason. I would say stick to tubies to keep it as light as possible, with whatever aero rim you choose.

2 Bike lengths that's what I'm talking about 8) ! never knew it could help that much. The added help in a break would also be much appreciated.

dmulligan wrote:I also like White Industries hubs. Being a heavier rider at 85kg I find that cassettes become embedded/notched into aluminium freehub bodies. It doesn't happen with steel or titanium. White Industries uses titanium for theirs.

Ah, This would also be a good benefit, had to use a hammer to lightly tap the cogs out of my current freehub as they were totally jammed in. I assume the PX freehub is aluminium then.

Multebear wrote:
I'm not familiar with how it is to ride crits in the states. We don't ride as many crits here in europe as you do in the states. But the crits that we ride in the cat 1 or cat 2 races here, rarely end in a bunch sprint. 4 out of 5 end with a brakeaway. This means that there is a lot of stop and go until the brake is made. I would definitely choose deeper section rims for longer races, but with a lot of stop and go, it makes sence with lighter rims because of all the accellerations. I have both a set of 38 and a set of 50 mm clinchers. I prefer the 38's for crits. But maybe the races develop differently in the states, which makes 50 mm more relevant.

Good points racing here (UK) does tend to end in a break 8/10 times. However I have yet to be able to survive in a break, FTP is not my strong point. All my best results have come from a sprint finish.

Multebear wrote:
Besides that, the more I think about it, with your weight you shouldn't aim for light hubs at all. Actually I think the right hub for you would be White Industries T11. They are a bit heavier than the other ones mentioned, but they are so strong, that you'd 20/24 spoke config wouldn't be a problem. If your choosing something like the Tune Mig/Mags, then I wouldn't go below 24/28 with your weight. But with the whites, 20/24 would be fine. And you definitely rather want fewer spokes, than lighter hubs.

I've followed your advice and scratched light hubs off my list, The T11 Looks good :) I was under the impression that more spokes are always better unless the rim (not the hub) can substitute the lower spoke count? When you say less spoke are possible on a stronger hub, I assume this has to do with the flange strength being able to take loading at bigger intervals with more point load?

So in summary

24 spoke Front - Radial possible? , It looks better :) or would this be 2x lacing as well.
28 Spoke Rear - 2x both sides or even 3x ?
52 x CX-Ray spokes +/- 240g
Nipples - 30g ?
Corima 73mm Tubular rim 435g each (Again love the look of this 12k radial weave rim)
'Mid' weight Front hub - CK R45 for weight reference - 102g
'Mid' weight Rear hub - CK R45 for weight reference - 226g

Total = 1468g

The Bora 50 One is around 1265g with 18/21 lacing, Ultra saves about an extra 40g.

Would the extra 200g make a stiffer more durable wheel in this case?

PS. Could a mod change the title to something like 'Lightest wheel option for a fat crit rider'

Bora One tubular are typically coming in at or around 1200g. Mine were slightly under

Very good wheel for what you're after
----------------------------------------
Stiff, Light, Aero - Pick Three!! :thumbup:

raffal

by raffal

What about Ax-lightness's Selection 38T? I assume DT-240 hub will be strong enough for you.