Bora One 50 - should I sell them?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

BugsBunny7788

by BugsBunny7788

Hey guys

I own the Bora 50 tubs (2015) version.

I've really gotten into climbing, so my brain keeps thinking the Bora One 35 tubs would make a better climbing + all round wheel set for me. Where I ride, there are lots of climbing.

Now heres the catch, HOW MUCH of an improvement will the 35 tubs be in terms of climbing? When I look at the published weights there is just 60grams or so difference? Being so little, would the 35 weight be that obvious of an improvement?

I'm a lightweight at 62kg and don't really have an issue with cross wind either.

Your thoughts?

sawyer

by sawyer

Obviously it will make very little difference either way, unless it's messing with your head

If it helps (and it probably doesn't), my Bora One 35 tubs came in well :beerchug: under claimed weight at 1190g
----------------------------------------
Stiff, Light, Aero - Pick Three!! :thumbup:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

kgt

by kgt

I would not sell Bora 50 for Bora 35. The difference will be imperceivable, nothing in practice.
Since you weight only 62kg you could try a low-profile, ultralight (800gr-900gr) wheeset from extralite or axlightness. Those wheels would really feel different. A used LW Ventoux (aprox. 1040gr) would be another option.

eurperg

by eurperg

My Bora 35's were a couple grams HEAVIER than my friends' 50's... Both 2015 tubulars.

AZK

by AZK

Getting some lighter tubs could save you more weight than switching to 35s and also the 50s extra stiffness could offset the slight weight penalty.

Depending on which skewers you have you could also save up to 80g.

fogman

by fogman

I have the Bora One 50 tubular and it is fine for climbing. Just had a podium finish in a 40 mile race with 5000+ feet of climbing. If I were to get the Bora One 35 tubular, I would keep, not sell, the 50. And have two sets of tubulars.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It's all downhill from here, except for the uphills.

dj97223

by dj97223

The latest Tour mag gives the same overall score to the Bora 50 and the Fulcrum equivalent of the Bora 35.
“If you save your breath I feel a man like you can manage it. And if you don't manage it, you'll die. Only slowly, very slowly, old friend.”

BugsBunny7788

by BugsBunny7788

Thanks guys for all your comments.

Seems to me that in designing the 35, Campy had to make it as stiff (laterally) as the 50, and due to the shallower rim, they somehow needed to strengthen it with more carbon - hence, the weight is pretty much an even. That's my hunch.

I've also got a copy of the Tour mag test and makes for interesting reading.

So in practice, I'm guessing they are pretty even in respect of climbing.

LionelB

by LionelB

For climbing not a lot of difference but descending I prefer shallower 35 or hyperon, in particular when windy.

sawyer

by sawyer

BugsBunny7788 wrote:Thanks guys for all your comments.

Seems to me that in designing the 35, Campy had to make it as stiff (laterally) as the 50, and due to the shallower rim, they somehow needed to strengthen it with more carbon - hence, the weight is pretty much an even. That's my hunch.

I've also got a copy of the Tour mag test and makes for interesting reading.

So in practice, I'm guessing they are pretty even in respect of climbing.

Perhaps ... without a decent sample size you can't conclude that on weight however. From what I've seen the 35s are on average lighter than the 50s, even if there is overlap. Haven't seen any 50s <1200g

But all the same, I would keep your 50s!
----------------------------------------
Stiff, Light, Aero - Pick Three!! :thumbup:

fogman

by fogman

Campagnolo Bora Tubular Published Weights:
Bora One 35 = 1215 g
Bora Ultra 35 = 1160 g
Bora One 50 = 1265 g (mine weighed 1249 g on my scale)
Bora Ultra 50 = 1215 g

So the Bora One 35 and the Bora Ultra 50 weigh about the same. The Ultra generally will save you about 45-50 grams per wheelset over the One. This weight savings is in the hub.
It's all downhill from here, except for the uphills.

BugsBunny7788

by BugsBunny7788

Thanks guys

I suspect sometimes manufacturers fudge the weights a little so that us consumers see the "value" in different models - e.g. pay extra for the Ultra models. What is confusing here is that, there is a published weight difference of just 50 grams between the Bora 50 One tubs/Bora 35 One tubs - which when split between two wheels is negligible. I would have thought that an extra 15mm of carbon shrouding on two wheels would weigh more than 50 grams...but hey - I'm no carbon wheel expert.

I think all your feedback has helped me to conclude that I should just keep my Bora 50. Thanks guys!

Nefarious86

by Nefarious86

Add to that the 50s look better 99% of the time ;)
Using Tapatalk

Denavelo

by Denavelo

I don't have Campy Bora wheels, but I had the same dilemma when choosing between the 3.4 and 4.5 enve rims.
I was wondering if climbing with the 4.5 would hold me back versus a somewhat shallower wheel.
It would only make a huge difference if there's a huge weight difference, like 200-300g difference.
I find the 4.5 wheels hold speed really well when ascending and descending. If I keep my cadence up with the 4.5, they hold speed. Also there's nothing like getting down as fast as you went up. Deep wheels excel in this area. Holding speed on descents.My butt dyno at least says so.
I'm 170lb and all I do is climb (5000ft - 11,000ft climbs). Deeper wheels are not holding me back at all.
Keep the Bora 50's! I'm building up an old frame I have with SR11 (2015 new) and I want Bora 50's on there. Magic Bullet is the nickname of the Bora wheels because they do everything well.
Rob English "Mudfoot" 29er | Focus Izalco Max | Firefly #194 Stainless XCR | Firefly #277 | Neilpryde Bura SL 11.9 | Crust Evasion Lite

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

I'd be way more concerned about the issues when descending with a higher profile versus lower profile rim than climbing. Really, the difference in weight is not going to slow you down (who are you racing anyway). Id go with the ones you're most comfortable descending on, especially if you're only going to keep one set. So get the 35's if you want. But keep the 50's cuz like someone else said, they look cool. :)
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com