Stiff wheel suggestion

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

addictR1

by addictR1

i've used Farsport clinchers in the past.. both 38mm in V and U shaped. i can only say i suck at descent and braking.. so toasted both set's brake track.

since then i've been using Kinlin XR19W & XR31T alloys, which i love for the price, value and performance; but still missing that CF look.

are there any stiff 35-38mm CF wheelset that has alloy brake track that is under 1550g?

i'm 68Kg.. so looking for an all around set that is aero for flats and good for climbs too.

thanks.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

If you like the CF look but want alloy reliability the Hed Jet 4 black is a good choice. But it's heavier than your weight target. I doubt there's anything aero with alloy that is less than 1,550 grams. I have a set of Shimano C50 that is stiff and aero but weighs 1,785 g. :shock:

Last edited by pdlpsher1 on Thu Jul 28, 2016 1:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

addictR1

by addictR1

pdlpsher1: will the Jet4 black alloy track wear off over time? like turn back into silver color? also.. do you know if the HED logo can be removed?

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

I don't know. Honestly I was afraid of CF braking like you so I went for the Shimano C50. But after hearing so many great reviews on the Boras I finally got a set of carbon clinchers. So far I love the carbon brake track but I haven't done anything that requires severe extended braking. I love my Boras....climbing wheel lightness with aero advantage. I can't even imagine riding anything heavier. 1,463 g. which is under the advertised weight. I truly believe that not all carbons are created equal and that the Boras are light years ahead of Farsports.

addictR1

by addictR1

pdlpsher1: yea i agree.. even my friends riding Zipp 303 or 404 they don't have issues of toasting brake tracks on steep descent. yea i would love to get a set of Bora Ultra... but no money.. haha

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

No offense but with the money you 'wasted' on the Farsports you could have gotten a quality wheelset. Quality wheelset is an investment and you'll be better off in the long run than a short-term gain on a gamble with lesser quality parts.

BugsBunny7788

by BugsBunny7788

I own the 2015 Bora 50 tubs and find them laterally very stiff. I don't get brake rub even when out of the saddle at say 800W+ (for short bursts).

Braking is fantastic in the dry - I've never really done enough riding in the wet to give good comment.

I weight 62kg.

sungod

by sungod

why not put some time into improving descending/braking? i used to be terrible for dragging the brakes but eventually made the effort to break the habit (heh heh)

i still get a bit paranoid on steep/twisty descents in case i trash the brake tracks on my cf wheels, but even on the nastiest descent i know, when i've stopped hard to check they've always been much cooler than i expected

this helped me change...

http://www.flammerouge.je/factsheets/doidescend.htm

mpulsiv

by mpulsiv

Very limited choice when it comes to 30mm+ carbon deep wheels with aluminum brake track. Besides HED and Shimano, which were already mentioned there's is 3T Accelero 40. Last I checked it was discontinued. Have you looked at Venn Rev 35? viewtopic.php?t=137785 They utilize carbon filament brake track.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Racing is a three-dimensional high-speed chess game, involving hundreds of pieces on the board.

:arrow: CBA = Chronic Bike Addiction
:arrow: OCD = Obsessive Cycling Disorder

addictR1

by addictR1

Pdlpsher1: no offense taken. I agree.. Both set together were about $1.2k.

Bugsbunny7788: that's good to know on the bora! Guess I better save up.

sungod: thanks for the good read!

Mpulsiv: how are the Venn35? Any good?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mpulsiv

by mpulsiv

addictR1 wrote:Pdlpsher1: no offense taken. I agree.. Both set together were about $1.2k.

Bugsbunny7788: that's good to know on the bora! Guess I better save up.

sungod: thanks for the good read!

Mpulsiv: how are the Venn35? Any good?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Here's the relevant thread for Venn Rev 35 wheels viewtopic.php?t=137785
Racing is a three-dimensional high-speed chess game, involving hundreds of pieces on the board.

ALAN Carbon+

by ALAN Carbon+

What about Shimano 9000 C35? They would tick most of the boxes you are after - alloy brake track, under 1500g and carbon.

mpulsiv

by mpulsiv

ALAN Carbon+ wrote:What about Shimano 9000 C35? They would tick most of the boxes you are after - alloy brake track, under 1500g and carbon.

C35 are narrow wheels with "V" rim profile. 4 year old technology. It doesn't tick modern rim spec being wide and "U" shape. Shimano announced C40, let's wait for specs. Hopefully they are wide and "U" shape.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

addictR1

by addictR1

mpulsiv: woo... the C40 seems interesting. but i'd probably have to go tubs to save weight. the C40 with alloy brake track is 1620gs.

"Rim brake versions of the C40 will include a tubular version at a claimed 1,343g and the alloy/carbon hybrid clincher version at a relatively weighty 1,620g."
http://cyclingtips.com/news/shimano-dur ... ght-price/