Wheel set decisions / building (tubular) advice required

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Dan456

by Dan456

Looking at getting some wheels built and need some advice /thoughts on spoke count and rims
Rims -
Deciding between either Ambrosio Crono or Nemesis tubular rims.
Use-
Regular Road /Casual rides or very short commute . Will be fitted to a steel bike probably coming in around 9-10kg.
I'm around 65kg and am wondering whether to go for 28h or 32h, and is there a minimum I should stick to.
Also are there any other factors to consider?

racingcondor

by racingcondor

If I were you I'd go for Crono's 28/32. The feel will be great and they look awesome more classic looking bikes.

I've had a set of Crono's 28/28 on Dura Ace hubs for a few years now and really like them (I should have gone 32 spokes on the rear. I am 4-5kg heavier than you though). The anodised finish lasts ages and even on the UK roads with potholes galore mine are fine. The rims are very flexy so I can't advise racing crits on them or anything like that but they are the wheels I take on holiday with me where I just want something I can enjoy riding all day.

The Nemesis are also great rims and will last longer (thicker brake track, heavier rim in general) but I think the Crono's would be more fun since you'll shave close to 200g off the wheelset.

Don't bother with bladed spokes, there are so many of them that the wheels aren't going to be aero either way and you're buying enough that they'll double the cost of the wheels.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

Chrono front and nemesis rear. The chrono rear will lead to a flexy wheel and one that could break spokes. Even a rider as light you could get them to flex.

Dont use cx rays either too flexible for these rims. Stiff wheels feels good flex wheels dont. I have a set of 32h mavic gel280's on novatec hubs with sapim race spokes. These wheels flex and are not quick. Nice and light and feel it but my heavier tubular wheels (hed rims) are far nocer to ride.

Geoff

by Geoff

I actually really like the CX-Rays on Nemesis. I have quite a few sets built like that from the Pro Tour Teams in my collection. Typically, they are 32s and built on either Campagnolo or Dura-Ace and laced with Sapim CX-Rays, cross-2. I have one set with Sapim Rays on the drive-side rear.

Those wheels are special-purpose 'pave' wheels. The Teams really only roll-them-out for the Northern Classics. For casual riding, they are completely overkill, but they are really nice. Shoe them with Dugast seta Paris-Roubaix 27s, then you'll be loaded for bear...