Which (tubular) tyres are you running on your Bora One/Ultra?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

LionelB

by LionelB

carbon and arenberg would be both great. The only difference between the two is 2mm.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

jimborello

by jimborello

Narrower tyres are more aero but leave that to the pros as they have many more wheelsets in case they break one. The rim is more exposed with a narrower tyre so any small crash or pot hole can leave you with a broken rim. I ride Vittoria Corsa CX 23mm front and a 25mm rear on my Boras. I really like those tubulars but when they wear out Ill switch to Veloflex Arenbergs, both 25mm, just or the peace of mind.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

That pic of Quintana's bike with the 22's on it is interesting. I've always thought that the ultralight racerboy dudes are being duped into the wider tire trend simply because that's what the manufacturers are pushing. I've never thought wider tires were "faster". They're more comfy with more air volume but I tried some tests back and forth and couldn't tell a difference in rolling resistance. If anything, If all out speed was my only concern I'd go for a 23mm over a 25. But for us bigger guys the 25's can feel more confident in turns with more rubber on the road. But back to Quintana... I noticed that for a while well after the new wider Bora came out Quintana was still on the old profile Boras. Clearly he could have been running the newer profile rims. At that time the only conclusion was that he preferred the narrower profile tire. He clearly still does. And the reason he is running a 22mm tire on the new profile rim is simply because he likes the feel of the narrower tire versus the larger one. And why wouldn't he... he only weighs 130lbs soaking wet. That it's mounted to the new profile rim is simply because that's what Campy sells now. But the 22mm tire fits the bed of the older Bora much better than it does the new rim. Being much heavier than Quintana I love my 25's but wouldn't want to go wider for the road as you can cross a line from a nice positive firm feel to something approaching Lazy-Boy plushness. Your choice.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

userfriendly

by userfriendly

You say "us bigger boys", can I ask how much you weigh?
Cinelli Saetta 6.5kg - nice and dry weather
Reilly T325 7.3kg - nice weather but windy
Spa Audax 9.1kg - all weather steel beauty
Pinnacle Dolomite 7.9kg - flat-pedal chainguard thing
M∆SON Definition 8.5kg - off-road ... thing

userfriendly

by userfriendly

jimborello wrote:Narrower tyres are more aero but leave that to the pros as they have many more wheelsets in case they break one. The rim is more exposed with a narrower tyre so any small crash or pot hole can leave you with a broken rim. I ride Vittoria Corsa CX 23mm front and a 25mm rear on my Boras. I really like those tubulars but when they wear out Ill switch to Veloflex Arenbergs, both 25mm, just or the peace of mind.

Is one millimetre per side, either 0.5mm narrower or 0.5mm wider than the rim, really that much of a difference in this regard? You'd have to hit something at a really steep angle for that to matter, no? At which point I'd be more worried about my own health rather than the rim's, to be honest.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Ha, close to 200lbs and I'm currently injured so not getting any slimmer. When I started riding 25's I thought, "so this is what riding on 23's must feel like for the little guys". And since I feel that anything bigger than a 25 is unnecessary I wonder how little guys found the transition from 22's/23's to 25's or larger. The other thing I do like with the wider rims however is the added stability and that is the primary reason I feel they suit us bigger guys more. Not sure that the stability of a light wheel was ever a real concern for a super light rider.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

userfriendly

by userfriendly

Calnago wrote:Ha, close to 200lbs and I'm currently injured so not getting any slimmer. When I started riding 25's I thought, "so this is what rising on 23's must feel like for the little guys".

Fair. :D

I'm at ~155 at the moment, the heaviest I've been in a while and working my way back towards under 150. Leaning more and more towards the 23mm Veloflex Carbon rather than the Arenberg. Especially considering they tend to run half a millimetre wider.

KCookie

by KCookie

Hey userfriendly, if your after the Carbons Probike Kit had them going cheap, I only paid £85 for two delivered.

userfriendly

by userfriendly

Thanks. :) Seems they're all out (no surprise with that price). No worries, though - I've found them at Acycles for £115 a pair, still a lot less than what everyone else is asking.

userfriendly

by userfriendly

Thanks to everyone who chimed in. :) Much appreciated. Got a pair of Veloflex Carbon on the way, will hopefully have them on the rims for next weekend.

KCookie

by KCookie

userfriendly wrote:Thanks to everyone who chimed in. :) Much appreciated. Got a pair of Veloflex Carbon on the way, will hopefully have them on the rims for next weekend.

Ride report please once you've given them ago. Mine won't be going on until the Conti's need changing.
Cheers

graeme_f_k
Shop Owner / Manufacturer

by graeme_f_k

@helldiver

I'd be very careful looking at pros bikes as definitive source of good practice - they are often not using production parts, it's why Campagnolo et al sponsor teams - to test.

Also, just because it's a good idea for a pro, doesn't automatically make it a good idea for everyone.
A Tech-Reps work is never done ...
Head Tech, Campagnolo main UK ASC
Pls contact via velotechcycling"at"aim"dot"com, not PM, for a quicker answer. Thanks!

dj97223

by dj97223

Graeme,

Is there an official Campagnolo recommendation for tire width for the current Bora tubular wheels? I'm not seeing anything in the instruction manuals.
“If you save your breath I feel a man like you can manage it. And if you don't manage it, you'll die. Only slowly, very slowly, old friend.”

dj97223

by dj97223

... or, if nothing official, is there a consensus among the techs? Thanks in advance.
“If you save your breath I feel a man like you can manage it. And if you don't manage it, you'll die. Only slowly, very slowly, old friend.”

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

They were really designed around using a 25mm tubular. I've put 23mm Veloflex Carbons, 24mm Veloflex Roubaixs, and 25mm Veloflex Arrenbergs on the new Boras. The 25's fit the best and I have not even tried bigger as I could never see myself using anything bigger than 25mm on a nice road race bike. In fact, I think 24mm is a really nice choice for both comfort and handling. Jussst right you might say.
I would feel totally fine using 24-27mm tubulars on these rims. I would be much less inclined to run 23's or smaller on them.