Which (tubular) tyres are you running on your Bora One/Ultra?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

userfriendly

by userfriendly

Been looking to get a set of deep section wheels for my beloved Cinelli, and so far the Bora One 50 are the hottest contender in my eyes.

I've previously only run shallow section wheels with clinchers on my bikes, but would like to run tubulars on those.

They seem to have a centre channel in the rim bed for tubular seams, does that narrow down the tyre choice somehow? What about in conjunction with tubular tape or glue, respectively?

Cheers!
Cinelli Saetta 6.5kg - nice and dry weather
Reilly T325 7.3kg - nice weather but windy
Spa Audax 9.1kg - all weather steel beauty
Pinnacle Dolomite 7.9kg - flat-pedal chainguard thing
M∆SON Definition 8.5kg - off-road ... thing

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

nlouthan

by nlouthan

I have Veloflex Arenbergs on mine. The channel in the middle and lack of spike holes made gluing a breeze.

userfriendly

by userfriendly

nlouthan wrote:I have Veloflex Arenbergs on mine. The channel in the middle and lack of spike holes made gluing a breeze.

Thanks :) I was looking at these already, going to move them to the top of my list.

helldiver

by helldiver

Veloflex extreme (22mm, 350tpi) front, Veloflex carbon (23mm, 320tpi) rear on Bora One 50, very happy with that combination.

userfriendly

by userfriendly

helldiver wrote:Veloflex extreme (22mm, 350tpi) front, Veloflex carbon (23mm, 320tpi) rear on Bora One 50, very happy with that combination.

Interesting. May I ask what made you go with that setup? I.e. two different tyres front & rear, and narrower than rim width?

fogman

by fogman

Vittoria Corsa CXIII Isogrip 25mm tubulars on my Bora One 50 Tubular (MY 2015 24.2mm wide brake track). I would like to try the Veloflex Arenberg when these eventually wear out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Last edited by fogman on Wed Jul 27, 2016 2:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
It's all downhill from here, except for the uphills.

sawyer

by sawyer

Corsa CX 23mm (tubular) on the new wider Bora 35s

Not that keen on the wallowing feeling and additional weight of wider tyres, plus 23mm on the wider Bora rims gives a nice smooth tyre/rim transition

Have run various other tyres including Conti Comps, Sprinters, Corsa Elites on them, and the channel in the rim bed is a non-issue IME. What is really great is no spoke holes - makes glueing a breeze
----------------------------------------
Stiff, Light, Aero - Pick Three!! :thumbup:

userfriendly

by userfriendly

Great, now I'm torn between 23mm and 25mm tyres. :lol: Evenly split (the one 22mm front tyre not withstanding).

You also seem to prefer glueing over tape (although Carogna tape seems to be up there with glue according to reviews?). Any of you using Magic Mastik, or is Mastik 1 still the go-to glue?

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

I prefer 25mm tubular Arrenbergs on the new Boras. 23mm are better on the old Boras. If I had the new clincher Boras I'd run 23mm clinchers, which end up being like a 25mm tubular. Lol. Confused enough yet? And yes to Mastik One. Still.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

userfriendly

by userfriendly

Cheers :) I've not ordered tyres yet. That is, proper tyres. I've got the wheels on their way, and both a 23mm and a 25mm Vittoria Rally, just to check clearance on my frame with a tyre mounted dry, and to practice glueing and/or taping. Mastik 1 is ordered, as is Carogna tape. And I guess I'll end up using one of the tyres as a spare to carry with me for emergencies.

I take it by better you mean the ride feels more stable with 25's on them, reading your related posts in other threads here?

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Well, there's a different "ride feel simply because there's more air volume in there. But I was really referring to how they actually fit on the rims themselves. Tubulars are contained in the casing so you want a run bed radius that fits the tire radius as close as possible. Imagine a super narrow 21mm tubular on a tubular rim bed designed for a fat cyclocross tubular to get what I mean. And vice versa. You want a good bond at the edge of tire most importantly. A narrow tire will tend to want to pull away at the edges if it is mounted to a flatter profile rim bed. So if you were going to err on one side or the other, I'd rather put a fatter tire on a narrower rim than vice versa. A 25mm tubular on the "old" Boras would be a good example that works perfectly fine, albeit not ideal.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

userfriendly

by userfriendly

Thanks, makes sense. I've read somewhere that Campag designed the new Bora for 25mm and actually recommended against using 23mm tyres, is that true?

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

The new Boras were certainly designed with slightly wider tires in mind, but I've never heard of Campy specifically recommending against using 23's. But, having mounted both, I prefer 25's over 23's on the new Boras and 23's over 25's on the pre-2015 Boras. I wish Veloflex still made a 24mm tubular because I think that is the ideal size for me and how/where I like to ride.

BugsBunny7788

by BugsBunny7788

userfriendly wrote:Great, now I'm torn between 23mm and 25mm tyres. :lol: Evenly split (the one 22mm front tyre not withstanding).

I have 2015 Bora One 50 tubs with Conti Competition 22mm front and 24mm rear tires.

The reason I split the tire width is because I was reading that it would be more aero - blah blah blah. In practice, I would NOT recommend it. It feels much harsher as there is much less air inside. Looking side on, you can easily see the height of the tire is much less (ie. less volume). If I had my time again, I would go even tire sizes and/or avoid 22mm tires as they are just too narrow and harsh.

I don't race so and I run low tire pressures too - YMMV.

sawyer

by sawyer

On the old Boras (which I still have) my preference is 21mm front and 23mm rear ... with Vittoria CX EVOs it still gives a really nice ride and is I suspect very aero (by narrow 50mm rim standards). Road surface dependent obviously ...
----------------------------------------
Stiff, Light, Aero - Pick Three!! :thumbup:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com