preview: Al33 kickstarter launch (new 33mm deep toroidal shaped aluminum rims (465gram) + wheels)

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

NovemberDave

by NovemberDave

glepore wrote:I have about 200mi on a set of these now. Corsa 25's mount easily but balloon out to a little over 28mm, pretty close clearances in a supersix evo. They ride like, well, wheels. Good wheels. Coming off of open mold 50/25mm, they feel about the same, a little lighter but no slower. Yes, subjective.

Weight w/ bitex hubs in 20/24 was 1575 including rim tape. Maybe 40g heavier than I expected.

Braking feels like a typical alloy rim. The pads that November supplies were a serious beyoch to get into ee padholders, even with a little lube on the back. They seem pretty abrasive, and grip the padholder too well, don't look forward to swapping them out. Dave, have you tried Campy Red's with these?

Glad they got there safe and sound. Haven't tried Campy Reds, no. There's still some ongoing work to find the best combo of power, modulation, durability, and brake track friendliness. We're very happy with what we've seen and the feedback we've gotten on the pads we're supplying, but there may be something way better out there.

I installed a set of pads on a customer's bike yesterday, stock Ultegra brakes. The pads didn't effortlessly slide in but they went in with thumb pressure. Are ee brakes known to have snug holders? I've never worked with them.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

glepore

by glepore

Yes, the ee holders are tight. Had to complain about something :)

Nice build. I think these will default to my everyday wheels. Looks like they'll have plenty of competition in their segment though.
Cysco Ti custom Campy SR mechanical (6.9);Berk custom (5.6); Serotta Ottrott(6.8) ; Anvil Custom steel Etap;1996 Colnago Technos Record

NovemberDave

by NovemberDave

glepore wrote:Looks like they'll have plenty of competition in their segment though.

Best thing about being us (and others like us). We get to build with whatever we think is the best for the given situation and aren't limited to only products we make. Something comes out and we dig it, we use it. It's awesome.

Multebear

by Multebear

So, still no news how to get the rims in EU?

svendsvin

by svendsvin

They are listed here:
http://dcrwheels.co.uk/custom-wheelsets/which-rim/

Worth a try
(...but pretty expensive especially as you can buy kinlin xr31 at the same place for 2.5 less)

Garrison

by Garrison

So, any backers received their rims or wheels yet? Communication with Jan has been mostly one way traffic, I still have no idea when I will be getting mine.

NoMütze

by NoMütze

if you are in the happy situation that each parts were "in stock", shipment of wheels should have startet this weekend!
Hope thats not an easter egg though...

thp

by thp

IDK if any backers got anything. No updates on the kickstart as well after almost another month. Wasn't it supposed to be air shipped the first of April? I already said screw it and built up another set of HED C2, maybe I'll eventually get to these after I wear them out.

sugarkane
in the industry

by sugarkane

love how bellebikes has gone dark after he gots the moneys :roll:

mpulsiv

by mpulsiv

sugarkane wrote:love how bellebikes has gone dark after he gots the moneys :roll:

Yep, bellebikes hasn't commented on this thread in a long time. How long has it been? 6+ month? Dropped it like a hot potato!
Racing is a three-dimensional high-speed chess game, involving hundreds of pieces on the board.

:arrow: CBA = Chronic Bike Addiction
:arrow: OCD = Obsessive Cycling Disorder

Garrison

by Garrison

Well, I even emailed Jan and said I'll take the standard, non ceramic coated rims, if he has the hole count i want, and will refund me the differeance. Not a peep since...

NoMütze

by NoMütze

now, i think i may forward this...
according latest info on KS concerning full wheel builds, there happened to be some failures of NDS spoke/nipples.
so he is reconsidering some parts(nipples) and has to rebuild wheels and go ahead with testing. which of course is delaying things.
now i don't want to judge this info...
its just as it is.

antonioiglesius

by antonioiglesius

Is this correct:
1. There was no testing done at all on this combination of rims, spokes and nips.
2. There is an ongoing full recall of shipped wheels.

How does this impact the wheels sold by dealers? Should those be recalled as well?

Multebear

by Multebear

svendsvin wrote:They are listed here:
http://dcrwheels.co.uk/custom-wheelsets/which-rim/

Worth a try
(...but pretty expensive especially as you can buy kinlin xr31 at the same place for 2.5 less)

Thanks. But I will be needing rims only. And they aren't listed in their rims only department. And yes, pretty expensive. Even more expensive than HED Belgiums....

sugarkane
in the industry

by sugarkane

id say the rear hub pulling so much non drive side tension is the issue.. you don't need to push the tension of the wheel set so high when you have close to 100% tension ration.
personally with a triplet hub i dial back the tension to the low 100kgf range as your not trying to save the non drive side from low tension..

track wheels where you have a true 100% ratio don't need to be taken to 120kgf..

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com