preview: Al33 kickstarter launch (new 33mm deep toroidal shaped aluminum rims (465gram) + wheels)

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

WMW
in the industry

by WMW

kulivontot wrote:"Hey can you just go ahead and post diagrams for your proprietary rim shape? Kthx"

They already posted diagrams of their "proprietary rim shape", and given most of the dimensions. There isn't any magic possible with aluminum unfortunately. You can't make them light unless you remove material, and removing material presents compromises. I wanted to know all the thicknesses so I know what they compromised... or how much they are going to miss their weight target.
formerly rruff...

kulivontot

by kulivontot

How about you buy a pair and see?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ergott

by ergott

kulivontot wrote:How about you buy a pair and see?

He's asking legitimate questions and the OP has been more than able to reply. I don't see why you seem to be bothered by his query.

bellebikes
in the industry

by bellebikes

WMW wrote:I very much doubt it improves anything when you acheive this angle by attaching the spoke off the center of the rim. I haven't tested or modeled the effect (detailed FEM), but it doesn't sound like you have either...?

We did test the principle with a wide carbon MTB rim about 1 year ago with the same principle but external nipples and 3mm offset instead of 2. We compared it to the same wheel with 0 offset. We laced the wheels with same spokes, same hub and same tension. Put the rims between 2 workbenches (and used 3 extra rims below it to support the rim) and hanged a 50Kg weight at the hub and measured deflection.
There was a noticeable difference which proved us the concept worked.

After the campaign when i receive first batch of rims i will redo the test with the Al33 wheels.

WMW wrote:2.15mm nipple bed sounds good. I see you have a 9mm brake track which is nice, but not "weight saving". Compared to a Pacenti SL23 (~430g) you are adding weight in places, plus the taller sidewalls should result in ~50g more weight. Where did you acheive the weight savings? If it is in the sidewall thickness I'd expect a lot of dimpling. Aluminum alloys differ greatly in strength, but density and stiffness do not vary much at all. Do you have a cross sectional diagram which gives all the thicknesses?

WMW wrote:They already posted diagrams of their "proprietary rim shape", and given most of the dimensions. There isn't any magic possible with aluminum unfortunately. You can't make them light unless you remove material, and removing material presents compromises. I wanted to know all the thicknesses so I know what they compromised... or how much they are going to miss their weight target.

Weight is 465 grams for the rim wthout ceramic coating and 24holes for external nipples.
20 hole internal nipples weighed in at 474 grams.

When it comes to wall thicknesses, not a single point is the same, All based upon computer simulations how forces are divided over the rim. Development took us quite a while and also a considerable sum of money. So as far as the sizes go, Everything which we published is what we are open to tell. Hope you can understand we won't be posting our design files straight to the internet.

As said before, the alloy has extremely good material properties compared to other alloys. which allowed us to get the weight down to this point. And when it comes to lateral stiffness, It is really plenty stiff as the rim is 26mm wide at its widest point. Stiffer compared to quite a few less deep, less wide rims we got to work with over the years (same weight or lighter).

svendsvin wrote:
bellebikes wrote:
svendsvin wrote:... possibility of custom paired spoking patterns...

...It would be too expensive for me to test this first so i simply can not supply warranty on this specific setup. I would recommend equally divided spokes always.

Hi Thanks for your detailed answer. A clarifying question: Is that a No, you will not do it because of no warranty, extra tooling and trouble to make custom drillings (which I understand)

or
Yes, custom drillings would be possible but without any kind of warranty/at my own risk?

Send me an email and we can discuss details, If agreed i can contact my factory and see whats possible. (info@bellebikes.com).
http://www.bellebikes.com - info@bellebikes.com
Rides: Bellezza Stelvio <5kg and Bellezza CorsaX!

bellebikes
in the industry

by bellebikes

UPDATE:

First independent review is online:

read it here:
http://www.bikeradar.com/road/gear/category/components/wheel-sets/product/aforce-al33-wheelset-review-50666/

After first articles of bikerumor.com and road.cc
Bikeradar is the first one to publish a first ride review.

Second:

In a few days i hope to announce more info on the US distribution. I am discussing last details with US distributor.
What i can tell you tough is that the rims will be at INTERBIKE this year at the booth of our USA distributor. And i will probably be there too.

And last but not least:
We have arranged independent wind-tunnel testing together with our to be announced USA distributor, hope to show results within 2 weeks with comparison to our competition rims. Off course i will post on weight weenies directly when i get results.

bellebikes
in the industry

by bellebikes

Small update on distributor:

@ergott and others.

For the us bikestores:
We are happy to announce that we have made an agreement with bikehubstore.com / bikewheelparts.com on US distribution. We are also talking to a some other party's around the world and in the US at the moment, but bikehubstore is going to be our main distributor in the US.

The 9th of september, independent aerodynamic testing will take place in a wind-tunnel, and off-course we will update you on the results on this forum.

Kickstarter has 6 days left and backers will be first in line for delivery before anyone else, and still be able to profit from kickstarter discount and get a good deal, before it will be stocked anywhere else.

For our US backers, the wheels will be distributed from our new US distributor, and they will also stock brake-pads for the ceramic coating. Also for after sale service we will partner with our US distributor to supply faster and better service for the US market on the kick-starter wheels.

And again, a :thumbup: to the weight-weenies community, for the good conversations, sharp and critical, but always fair questions.

Tomstr

by Tomstr

I'm not in the market for a new set of wheels but I have to say you're doing a fine job for a 22year old. Well done mate! :thumbup:
Ride it like you stole it

tomtom

by tomtom

kulivontot wrote:Hire some marketers or you're going to spend the entirety of your campaign preaching to 10 dudes on an internet forum who either already own Zipp's or buy their stuff direct from China.

Nope.....I already own Mavic R-sys, LW Meilenstein, Zipp 404, 808 & disk but I'm still convinced by his enthusiasm & explanations....I will buy a (complete) set :-)!
Canyon Aeroad CFR
Canyon Grail CF

ergott

by ergott

bellebikes wrote:We are happy to announce that we have made an agreement with bikehubstore.com

Thanks for the update :thumbup:

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

the offset criss cross drilling will work as it improve NDS and DS bracing angles. Tension balance should go up a bit. A nice idea.

bellebikes
in the industry

by bellebikes

update,

Near the end of our campaign, we are entering the very last hours. and we more or less doubled our initial funding goal.
We already started preparation a few weeks back to get the wheels delivered in november.

At the end of this month we will be visiting interbike in Vegas so we can meet with USA wheel-builders and consumers.

You can find me most of the time at booth 12264 (BWP DISTRIBUTION). But for wheel-builders who want to meet, please let me know in advance so we can arrange something.
please email to info@bellebikes.com

gtinut

by gtinut

when can we purchase rims from bike hub?

bremerradkurier

by bremerradkurier

November had some good info on the rims on their blog:

http://www.novemberbicycles.com/blog/2016/9/23/interbike-news.html

justaute

by justaute

Any update?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

matty