Enve 3.4 v. Dura Ace 9000 C24

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

LegendRider

by LegendRider

I have a set of Enve 3.4 wheels (King R45 hubs) that I like, though I wouldn't mind a little better braking. I no longer race so getting every second out of my equipment isn't my first priority, though I still do fast group rides and need performance equipment.

I was recently offered a nice sum for the Enves which would allow me to upgrade my DA7800 to DA9000 AND get a set of DA 9000 C24 wheels.

I don't recall where, but I seem to remember that the DA wheels do surprisingly well in aero tests. My question is: How much do you think I'm giving up by going from Enves to C24s? (I know it's not a question that can be answered definitively, but I'm really on the fence about the transaction and would love to her what others would do in a similar situation.)

Thanks.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

lowside67

by lowside67

As always, I believe the question about aero tradeoffs is always most truthfully answered with "it depends". Your typical speed and whether you are typically at the front of the group or in the draft are both large influences on the overall benefit derived from aero equipment.

I am currently buying a set of aero wheels to go from the stock aluminum box style rims delivered on my Cervelo R3 and have agonized unendingly over the depth and importance of weight. I recently had a demo set of new Bontrager Aeolus 5s on my bike for a 60mi test ride over a great variety of terrain - rolling hills, some dead flat, some bridges, etc. and came away with the impression that they were never obviously faster, but then when I reviewed the data at home, they definitely were.

All this to say, by going from your 3.4s to the C24s, you are going from a very wide wheel that would allow you run a 25mm tire with an optimal profile that also have some aero effects, to a brilliant hub on the C24, but a very narrow rim by modern standards. I believe the width and box design are more of the aero penalty than the lack of depth, but if you are in the back of the pack, this effect is likely minimized.

If you can get your hands on just about ANY set of "traditional" aluminum clinchers and go for a test ride, I believe you will have the full impact of the aero penalty - I am not convinced that the C24 is any more aero than any other comparable aluminum clincher. But it is a top shelf hub and a very nice light package with top notch braking - all good points.

Hope that rambling is of some help
Mark

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

I have both... can't tell much difference climbing, I don't feel like the C24's are slow by any means.. but the 3.4's are better at holding speed and I mean 20+ mph... The C24's are my winter wheels mostly because of wet braking.
2024 BMC TeamMachine R
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault

fromtrektocolnago

by fromtrektocolnago

I own C-24's. They do well in straights but no where near what the Enve's can do. In climbing the nod goes to Dura Ace c-24. And of course the Shimano costs less. It's really up to you if the slight aero advantage is worth it. it wasn't for me.
Colnago C-59 (Dura Ace)
Firefly(Ultegra)
Colnago C-64 disc(ultegra) with Bora 35 wheels

Stueys

by Stueys

I've c24's and 4.5's, there is a world of difference in terms of aero performance. The 4.5's are noticeably better at holding speed once you get rolling at pace. Plus I find them much stiffer than the c24's. The c24 is a nice wheel though, I use mine for the mountain trips.

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

I think going from a wide rim to a narrow rim is a bad idea. There are so many advantages of a wide rim that I would never ride a narrow rim again. Another option for you is a custom build of Hed Belgiums Plus. The rims are 30mm deep and 460g. each. They will end up about 100 g. more than the C24 however you'll get a wide rim (25mm) and predicable braking.

CEVelo

by CEVelo

I have both. C24s great for hilly rides (with a set of 25mm tires) yet the 3.4s definitely hold speeds far easier when >20mph.

kgt

by kgt

I thought that in our forum the 'it holds speed easier' is just considered pure placebo. No?

sawyer

by sawyer

Keep the ENVEs

DAs wear out too quickly.
----------------------------------------
Stiff, Light, Aero - Pick Three!! :thumbup:

Svetty

by Svetty

I can't help thinking that the replies above are missing half of the question. Sure the Enves are better wheels than the C24s all else remaining equal but if it's Enves + 7800 vs DA9000 + C24s then it's a no brainer IMO - and that's assuming the trade in includes the 7800. If you get to keep this to either re-use elsewhere or sell on then it's an even better deal IMO.

sawyer

by sawyer

Svetty wrote:I can't help thinking that the replies above are missing half of the question. Sure the Enves are better wheels than the C24s all else remaining equal but if it's Enves + 7800 vs DA9000 + C24s then it's a no brainer IMO - and that's assuming the trade in includes the 7800. If you get to keep this to either re-use elsewhere or sell on then it's an even better deal IMO.

TBH I'd still rather have 7800 (assuming it's in good shape) plus the ENVEs

I had DA9000 on a bike for a while and wasn't that impressed ... it's ok. 7800 is the best shifting mechanical groupset of all time, even if it looks like cac
----------------------------------------
Stiff, Light, Aero - Pick Three!! :thumbup:

lowside67

by lowside67

Svetty wrote:I can't help thinking that the replies above are missing half of the question. Sure the Enves are better wheels than the C24s all else remaining equal but if it's Enves + 7800 vs DA9000 + C24s then it's a no brainer IMO - and that's assuming the trade in includes the 7800. If you get to keep this to either re-use elsewhere or sell on then it's an even better deal IMO.

The difference from DA 7800 to DA 9000 is nowhere near as big as going from a narrow aluminum box section wheel to a wider carbon wheel. Not even close. That is why we have focused on the implications of the wheel swap.

Mark

nemeseri

by nemeseri

I have the C24 and I'd argue against that it's "very narrow". The inside width is 17mm which is perfectly fine. The ENVEs have a 18.5mm / 16.5mm (front/rear) internal rim width. The outer width is much wider, but it won't influence the comfort of the wheel.

In general I love the C24s and just because of them I can't wait to get my second set of shimano wheels. Stiff, quite light, good braking, bomb proof. I'm a big fan and I think it's hard to find a better deal at the current prices.

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

I have a set of Shimano C50 clinchers. The actual rim width as measured by a caliper is less than the advertised width. And the actual weight is higher than the claimed weight. Funny how that works :D When it comes to rim width they round up. And for weight they round down.

And the new Shimano "C40" wheels has an actual rim height of 37mm. Shimano's head of marketing is a genius.

In a highly competitive wheels market a few mm's and grams mean big bucks. And some people who don't do their homework are getting screwed. And yes you can say I got screwed on my C50's.

lowside67

by lowside67

nemeseri wrote:I have the C24 and I'd argue against that it's "very narrow". The inside width is 17mm which is perfectly fine. The ENVEs have a 18.5mm / 16.5mm (front/rear) internal rim width. The outer width is much wider, but it won't influence the comfort of the wheel

I do not believe that is correct - it actually has an inner width of 15mm and an outer of 20.8mm.

Mark

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com