Enve 3.4 v. Dura Ace 9000 C24

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Multebear

by Multebear

LegendRider wrote:
I was recently offered a nice sum for the Enves which would allow me to upgrade my DA7800 to DA9000 AND get a set of DA 9000 C24 wheels.

If you don't mind me asking, DA7800 and DA9000 what wheels are they? Looks to me that you missed part of the discription. DA9000 come in C24, C35, C50 and C75. Which ones are they?

fa63

by fa63

He said DA 9000 C24; it is right there in the text you quoted [emoji3]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

sovereign

by sovereign

lowside67 wrote:
sovereign wrote:
lowside67 wrote:
sovereign wrote:I have 7900 and 9000 C24s. They measure 16mm.

According to Shimano themselves:
Rim Size: 622 X 15C (700C)
http://bike.shimano.com/content/sac-bik ... 24-cl.html

With the trend and industry going wider (and Shimano's own 2017 DA wheels going wider) it is clear that they would report them as being wider than 15mm if they actually were. There is likely an issue with the method or tool you are measuring with.

Mark

Your reply is silly.

My reply is not silly. I just posted a link to Shimano's own website where they state the wheel has a 15mm ID, which is consistent with literally every product page or review you can find about them. If your caliper measures something different then that, then you are either not measuring the same point or your caliper is not zeroed properly.

Mark

Who gives a sh*t what the site says? You can see a picture showing the digital readout as well as the gradation lines of a caliper at 16mm, which rules out any potential zeroing error. This is the inner beadhook measurement, which I have measured several times at multiple points on two generations of these wheels. At any rate, this info is not for you, but for anyone else that may be interested to know.

Multebear

by Multebear

LegendRider wrote:I appreciate everyone's thoughts. Since my DA 7800 is still working well, I'm leaning toward keeping the Enves.

Why not keep the Enve's and buy an inexpensive alloy wheelset for rainy days, wintertraining and when riding mountains like Shimano R501 wheels? I'm pretty sure you wont find faster wheels than the Enve's, even wheen going uphill, aero is more important than weight (to a certain degree), but the C24's are definitely not aero.

IMO C24 with the box section rim is an older technology. Pretty sure Shimano will upgrade the wheel at some point to something wider and more aero.

DA7800 vs. DA9000, well, there's a significant difference. The DA9000 according to several reviews shifts almost as well as the Di2 versions. But that doesn't give you any added performance. The Enve's do.