Anyone on Easton EC90SL 2016 tubeless clincher?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Henryexige

by Henryexige

Anyone using the Easton EC90SL 2016 tubeless clincher and using tubeless tires?
What is the weight after installing the wheels with tubeless tires?
What is the recommended tubeless clincher tires out there? So far schwalbe one pro seems like a good choice for me but would love to hear some opinions and suggestions.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

How wide tires can your frame accept and where do you ride?
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

Henryexige

by Henryexige

Ordered the schwalbe pro one 25mm. It is gonna fit into my SL5 Tarmac frame. Had a bad fall today, luckily it is on a tandem bike, not my Tarmac.

Henryexige

by Henryexige

I ride in places with average gradient of 3-8% climbs. It is pretty tough on my roval clx60 wheelset

dvdslw

by dvdslw

I've been riding the ec90sl's since November and they are simply amazing. If you want carbon and tubeless, this is the only way to go other than the ec90's big brother Aero55's. These are the only Premium carbon wheels offered toady that are certified road tubeless which means there's no need for rim tape or any other prep to run them tubeless, they were designed to be tubeless first and tubed if needed secondly as opposed to every other wheelset out in the market that was designed to be a std clincher first and "converted" to tubeless secondly. May not sound like a big deal but I've had first hand experience with a set of Assault's that I bought because they claimed to be tubeless ready and I could go on for days about the issues I had with them and a replacement set they sent me. I finally returned them and bought the Easton's which was the best decision.

To answer your questions above, I'm obviously running them tubeless and chose the Schwalbe Pro One's in 23mm which seems to go against the current trend of 25's and even 28's people are choosing these days but I did my homework before I purchased them and came to the conclusion that the 23's were the right choice for a few reasons. To sum it up, the 19mm inner width of the rim allows the 23mm tires to inflate to 27mm wide which gives you the ride and volume of a larger tire without the weight penalty plus a lot of research went into the aerodynamic shape of these wheels and the use of a tire that is just narrower than the rim gives you all of the aero benefits you're paying for. I'm 6'5 and 225lbs so I've put these wheels and tires to the test and so far so good on all counts.

As far as weights go, my set weighed 1,477 grams, tires were right at 227g ea, stems 8g ea, 30ml sealant ea wheel 30g, so that's 2,007 grams total. If you have any questions or want some pictures, feel free to ask.

Henryexige

by Henryexige

dvdslw wrote:I've been riding the ec90sl's since November and they are simply amazing. If you want carbon and tubeless, this is the only way to go other than the ec90's big brother Aero55's. These are the only Premium carbon wheels offered toady that are certified road tubeless which means there's no need for rim tape or any other prep to run them tubeless, they were designed to be tubeless first and tubed if needed secondly as opposed to every other wheelset out in the market that was designed to be a std clincher first and "converted" to tubeless secondly. May not sound like a big deal but I've had first hand experience with a set of Assault's that I bought because they claimed to be tubeless ready and I could go on for days about the issues I had with them and a replacement set they sent me. I finally returned them and bought the Easton's which was the best decision.

To answer your questions above, I'm obviously running them tubeless and chose the Schwalbe Pro One's in 23mm which seems to go against the current trend of 25's and even 28's people are choosing these days but I did my homework before I purchased them and came to the conclusion that the 23's were the right choice for a few reasons. To sum it up, the 19mm inner width of the rim allows the 23mm tires to inflate to 27mm wide which gives you the ride and volume of a larger tire without the weight penalty plus a lot of research went into the aerodynamic shape of these wheels and the use of a tire that is just narrower than the rim gives you all of the aero benefits you're paying for. I'm 6'5 and 225lbs so I've put these wheels and tires to the test and so far so good on all counts.

As far as weights go, my set weighed 1,477 grams, tires were right at 227g ea, stems 8g ea, 30ml sealant ea wheel 30g, so that's 2,007 grams total. If you have any questions or want some pictures, feel free to ask.

Omg I've just placed an order online for schwalbe Pro One25mm...
Btw, which tubeless stem to recommend for this wheel? The wheelset comes with the bikes hence it is on tubes and did not supply with tubeless valves.

dvdslw

by dvdslw

Henryexige wrote:Omg I've just placed an order online for schwalbe Pro One25mm...
Btw, which tubeless stem to recommend for this wheel? The wheelset comes with the bikes hence it is on tubes and did not supply with tubeless valves.

No worries, I'm sure the 25's will be just fine as they're slightly larger and 20 grams heavier each. I've even considered trying the 25's just because they've become so popular these days. As far as tubeless valve stems go, there's several options out there but I'd go ahead and call Easton to ask what they recommend just in case. They may even send you a pair, they're very easy to talk to and will answer any questions you have concerning the wheels.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com