safe to ride?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

addictR1

by addictR1

i love Pro4 Service Course.. but they rip and cut so easily. this pair only had 1K miles on them and i have another tire that has 2K miles but the side wall has a 0.5" rubber crack line.

would these still be safe to use? like patching it up with some shoe goo, superglue or something?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

For these you can patch them on the inside. I kept a worn out Vittoria open clincher so I could use the high-thread-count cotton casing as high-strength patch for patching tires. I cut a 1"X1" square of the cotton casing and glue it to the inside of the problem tire. To help the curing process I clamp the patched area with some scrap wood and clamps. The patch will prevent the inner tube from blowing out of the hole as well as keeping the split from getting bigger.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

addictR1

by addictR1

pdlpsher1: oh wow.. that's a great idea! will try that too!

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

I use the Vittoria tire as a patch because on the open tubular design one can easily separate the rubber tread from the casing. With vulcanized tires you cannot do that. But perhaps you could use the sidewall of the vulcanized tire as a patch however you won't get a 1"X1" size.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

racingcondor

by racingcondor

Cuts in the rubber aren't a problem. Cuts that pierce the tyre and therefore cut the fabric of the tyre could be (but even then not often).

While its hard to tell from those pics (no inside pictures) it looks like the bottom one is superficial and the top one probably penetrated (did it cause a flat?). As people have suggested you can repair this by gluing in a tyre boot.

addictR1

by addictR1

racingcondor: yup.. the top one penetrated. i'm using those cheap china thickass tubes and surprise i made it home without a flat. it was only when i was wiping the tires that i notice it caught my rag.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com