KINLIN XR31 flex?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

dudemanppl

by dudemanppl

FWIW, you should be able to run 75/80 PSI front/rear with no issues at all. I run my 23mm (25mm actual meaurement) tires at 65/70 at 58kg and have never pinched.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

DamonRinard
in the industry

by DamonRinard

Hi addict,

Only 2-3 mm on each side now? Sounds like you had them really really close. ;-)

Shimano recommends 1.5 to 2 mm per side,

But as mimason suggested, I like plenty of gap, maybe double Shimano's numbers. For me, it puts most of the braking action in a range of finger position where I have more hand power and fine control. As long as the lever doesn't *quite* bottom out.

Not familiar with SwissStop salmons. Maybe KoolStop salmons? Since you asked, I always liked Shimano pads on aluminum rims.
Damon Rinard
Engineering Manager, Road Bikes
Cycling Sports Group, Cannondale
Ex-Kestrel, ex-Velomax, ex-Trek, ex-Cervelo

addictR1

by addictR1

Damon, yea it's the koolstop salmons. its rubbing on my rear brake on my BMC TMR02 which is a direct mount brake. if i add more gap, the SRAM red felt mushy.

you mean something like this? https://goo.gl/Bu2vhP

DamonRinard
in the industry

by DamonRinard

Yep, that's the compound.

All cartridges fit BR7800,7700,6600,6500,R600,5600,5500, and 5501
    R55C2 compound performs well in dry conditions, tends to be low noise, highly resistant to wear in rainy conditions
    R55C+1 shoe thickness is 1mm thicker than R55C
    R55C compound performs well in dry conditions and tends to be low noise, wears in rainy conditions

I usually used the R55C+1 (1 mm thicker), but that was in the days before wider rims. That or the R55C (without the +1) would be my choice today. I don't ride a lot in rain, so the "wears in rainy conditions" has never made itself known to me in use.

Now I'm curious about the R55C2 compound, sounds pretty good too! I'd give it a try (if I were buying, which I'm not).
Damon Rinard
Engineering Manager, Road Bikes
Cycling Sports Group, Cannondale
Ex-Kestrel, ex-Velomax, ex-Trek, ex-Cervelo

addictR1

by addictR1

Damon, i found some Shimano R55C3 instead. not sure if that's even better than R55C2?

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

I have at least 3mm between pads and rim bit i use a single pivot brake onhe rear . Closer is pointless and leads to disapoimtment.

F45

by F45

Too few noodly spokes. Swap them with the Aero 494 and your problem will be mollified. You can also swap the rear rim with the offset version for a better bracing angle to help the spokes keep the rim from deflecting at the top.

WinterRider

by WinterRider

F45 wrote:Too few noodly spokes. Swap them with the Aero 494 and your problem will be mollified. You can also swap the rear rim with the offset version for a better bracing angle to help the spokes keep the rim from deflecting at the top.

Be interesting .. to see hard objective data.. run on a machine setup under load .. how different combo's
flex... anyone done this? Links??
Litespeed 2000 Appalachian 61 cm
Litespeed 1998 Blue Ridge 61cm

Fitness rider.. 1 yr from seven decades age.

That is my story and I'm stick'n to it.

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

I have bilt many 24 spoke rears with this rim even with cx rays the resulting wheel does not flex much.

Has not it been established earlier the op's isse was his pads where too close to the rim. Brake pad rubbing is not just influnced by lateral wheel stiffness. There are other fators i dont fully understand. Rear triangle stiffness must play a part.

Marin

by Marin

Guys, tension does not affect stiffness, this has been proven many times.

Unless spokes are complete slack, adding more tension will not change stiffness at all.

The only way to get your rear stiffer is to use heavier spokes on the drive side.

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

also thicker spokes on the nds works too but there is no way that is needed if the pads are set a proper distance from the rim.

The a 24 spoke rear with is rim and a decent hub (maybe thats the issue) and thin spokes is stiff enough even for a masher. The problem lies elsewhere.

Marin is right adding more tension wont help.

Marin

by Marin

True, I recently built a shallow carbon rim rear wheel with 24 *thin* spokes and expected it to rub, but it doesn't, and I'm almost 80kg currently. I don't run my brake pads close to the rim though because I like to have some lever travel before the brakes grab.

addictR1

by addictR1

Maybe my issue was due to the hubs? I've widen the brake pads more and now no more rubbing.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

pyf

by pyf

Marin wrote:Guys, tension does not affect stiffness, this has been proven many times.

Unless spokes are complete slack, adding more tension will not change stiffness at all.

The only way to get your rear stiffer is to use heavier spokes on the drive side.

And... non drive side ! Also proven many times adding thicker spokes only to drive side does very little to the lateral stiffness of the wheel and even create a bit of imbalance ! Having thinner spokes on the NDS only does one thing : if tension is low there is a bit more stretch in a thinner spoke for a given tension reducing the chance of it going slack. Don't do it (differentiation spokes sections DS/NDS) for stiffness, it is not the answer !

Hovis

by Hovis

Has anyone experienced a pulsing / juddering from their XR31's? I've had this with 3 out of 4 wheels built with these rim's. I can't figure out what's causing it, wheels are perfectly true so I know it's not that. Tried different pad compounds, toeing in the pads, not toeing in the pads and had no luck. Tried in multiple bikes, same story.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com