High profile wheels, advice needed

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

1415chris

by 1415chris

Current setup S5 with zipp 303/404 tubs, which are and will be my main summer season wheels, at least for time being.
I was wondering what kind of improvement I can gain going for higher profile wheels.
The purpose: local 10m TTs and flat ish courses, from time to time.
The "gain" figures I am getting mainly refer to the standard shallow wheels. But what, if any, time improvement I can expect over 303/404 combo?
Contenders (if it's worth) Zipp 808, Reynolds Aero 90 or 72/90, Hed Jet Black 9 or 6/9 (all clinchers, weight and prices more or less on the same level).
Thanks in advance for any input.
Last edited by 1415chris on Sun Jul 03, 2016 7:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

In looking at the various aero comparison charts plotting drag vs. wind yaw angle, it appears that at the wind yaw angle near zero degrees, rim depth makes very little difference. Even a box rim will have very little drag difference compared to a deep profiled aer rim. On the other hand a deep profile wheel that sees a large side wind force will create a negative drag that actually pushes you forward. Ironically a higher side wind force also compromises your handling so choose your front wheel wisely. So your choice of wheel really depend on the wind condition of your TT. Good good reading on the wind yaw angle can be found here.

http://flocycling.blogspot.com/2014/09/flo-cycling-aero-wheel-tutorial.html

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

1415chris

by 1415chris

Almost there.... :)
Zipp 808 nsw vs Reynolds Aero 72/90?
Am I correct assuming that the handling and aero proprietary of both wheel sets are close? Reviews are rather positive, a bit more on Reynolds, as they are longer on the market.
I do like Zipp's new appearance, not so sure about the new hubs. I mean they look good, but how good they really are?
On the contrary Reynolds' seem to be very solid and proven.

mimason

by mimason

For the price of nice new fast wheels you could find a lightly used TT bike and ride realistically up to 2-3km/hr faster. I see used P2s for 1500 US all the time.

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

Please don't mention "Zipp" and "hub" under the same sentence :mrgreen:

http://enve.com/journal/all-about-road-hubs/

mr_tim

by mr_tim

re that link from enve;

don't forget to mention deformed brake track & enve.. no one here has a great record.

The enve torque hub test is interesting but who really needs a hub designed for that level of loading (5000+ watts?) - and why cherry pick tune150 for the freehub pawl system but then tune170 for the stiffness/weight assessment..

Selective science from a manufacturer selling something.

In all fairness to zipp they did come up with the wide rim & pushed it out into public use.

kgt

by kgt

+1
One should never, ever trust 'tests' done by companies who just want to sell their products.
What collective experience shows though is that Zipp hubs are practically inferior in comparison to hubs from Campagnolo, Shimano or DT.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com