2016 Mavic Cosmic Pro Carbon SL C & Mavic Yksion tyres

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

davidevo9000

by davidevo9000

Hi,

I've just bought some of these and just had a few questions.

1 - Can I run Latex tubes with these carbon rims? I know this isn't recommended with other carbon clinchers but the guy in the bike shop said he had done so with no issues.. Should I just go for lightweight butyl tubes like the Continental Race Light?

2 - Is there other brake pads that are black that I could run that wouldn't void the warranty as the yellow ones leave yellow marks on the rims

3 - The tyres seem ok on the one ride I have done on them, does anyone have more experience with them? How does the rolling resistance compare to other tyres? I have always liked the Schwalbe One but haven't tried many others

4 - To save me taking the tyres off just to check, what tubes are fitted as standard? As I bet there could be a saving to make, but just wondered if anyone knew before I started taking the tyres off.

Thanks in advance for the help

David

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

Congratulations on your new wheel set purchase. Running latex tubes in any clincher wheels (carbon or aluminum) is risky. Before you take the plunge you should read the following from Enve. Personally I have used latex tubes with unsatisfactory results. The pro latex people on this forum will try to tell you that all latex-related issues are caused by improper installation. This is far from the truth. Enve's explanation hit it on the nail. While you may get lucky with a few 'good' latex tubes, your luck will soon run out and latex's inherent properties (which are unsuitable for clinchers but OK for tubulars) will cause you a lot of headaches. There's a good reason why Continental doesn't make latex inner tubes for clinchers. Lastly as a favor to ask did you weigh your wheels without rim tape? I'd like to know the weights on these wheels. Thanks.

https://enve.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/204228845-Use-of-Latex-Tubes-in-ENVE-Clincher-Wheels

Use of Latex Tubes in ENVE Clincher Wheels

Latex tubes are not recommended for use in our clincher wheels. Latex is very inconsistent in comparison to butyl, and doesn't hold up as well in all of our internal testing.

Our wheels are provided with ENVE cloth rim strips that cover our spoke holes to work well with butyl tubes in the clincher format. Use of latex tubes in the tubular version, however, work perfectly fine. The tubular completely surrounds/supports the tire, whereas in a clincher tire, the tube comes in contact with both dimples in the rim strip from spoke holes, and edges of the inside of the tire. In essence the tube inflated inside the tubular tire is always round or at least elliptical in shape whereas in a clincher the tube shape can become deformed by the edges of the tire/rim contact point as well as the spoke holes.

There is no specific temperature found for when latex tubes become unreliable. The inconsistency and unreliability of latex tubes come more in regards to variable wall thickness of the latex tubes (ranging from 2mm thick in some areas, to less than a half a mm in others). Similarly, the way in which the latex tubes are sealed together and joined at the seams can be very inconsistent. With such variability in a tube - often we see wide ranges of variability in latex tube durability. This variability can be examined by simply pumping up a latex tube outside of a tire. The latex tube inflates with varying degrees of pressure throughout the tube (bubbling on some parts, while retaining the "tube" shape in others). Compared against a butyl tube pumped up, outside of a tire, however - it's easy to see why butyl is a much more consistent and more reliable choice.

wingguy

by wingguy

davidevo9000 wrote:2 - Is there other brake pads that are black that I could run that wouldn't void the warranty as the yellow ones leave yellow marks on the rims

As far as I am aware there is no warranty requirement to use the yellow Mavic pads (unlike their specific Exalith warranty statement), so something like the Black Prince should be ok.

However, it would certainly be best to email Mavic to get that confirmed, and the brake surface will have been designed using those yellow pads so they should be the ones that work the best with the wheels and Mavic would recommend that they are the ones you use.

As for the tyres, they're perfectly fine but I'd be surprised if they were quite as good as anything on the level of a 4000SII, Corsa etc.

kgt

by kgt

I have not heard great comments about Mavic Yksion tyres from friends who have used them.

wingguy

by wingguy

They're on 2nd gen ones now which are a lot better. 1st gen ones were ok in the dry, Ok-ish rolling resistance, tragic in the wet.

davidevo9000

by davidevo9000

Ok, thanks for the comments everyone, much appreciated.

I will give the tyres a chance for a while and report back on what I think compared to others when I get round to swapping them over.

reknop

by reknop

kgt wrote:I have not heard great comments about Mavic Yksion tyres from friends who have used them.

Mavic tires really suck in wet conditions. No grip at all ...
Change them for Continental Grand Prix 4000 II or Specialized S-Works Turbo tires.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
https://www.cycling-review.net

BugsBunny7788

by BugsBunny7788

I have owned the newer 25mm version of the Mavic front and rear tires.

They run slightly narrower than the Conti GP4000 25mm tires (which happen to run a little wider).

In comparison between the Mavics and the Contis, it is really true that there is an obvious improvement in ride comfort and reduced rolling resistance with the Conti. I cannot say for sure if they offer better grip as that is hard to test - BUT the comfort ant rolling resistance should be very obvious to notice.

If you are just cruising and not doing any hard / fast descents, ok to stick with the Mavics - however, if you do hard and fast riding, its worth the money to ditch them for something better (e.g. Conti) as I do believe there is some improvement to the sense of safety.

nemeseri

by nemeseri

davidevo9000 wrote:I've just bought some of these and just had a few questions.

How do you like them so far? How is the braking compared to other wheelsets?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com