Opinions on carbon tubular wheels from Asian via eBay

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

nrsnow

by nrsnow

I'm looking for a set of road
carbon tubular wheels. I was checking around on eBay and browsed by the wheels from Asia. They're light and at a really great price. Does anyone have experience purchasing these wheels and how was the quality also the ride quality in these wheels.

kevhogaz

by kevhogaz

I had a set of 50mm tubs, that were absolutely perfect. No issues, of any kind, ever.

Bought a set of 24mm "climbing" wheels, and they barely made it 200 miles before the rear hub grenaded, and a spoke broke.

I'm sure a lot of people here can point you to the more reputable Ebay stores, or online stores for that matter.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

eric

by eric

Rather than some random ebay seller, try one of the reputable trading houses that have been around for years. Farsports, Hong-fu, deng-fu, light bicycle are examples. There's long threads here about them.

stockae92

by stockae92

kevhogaz wrote:I had a set of 50mm tubs, that were absolutely perfect. No issues, of any kind, ever.

Bought a set of 24mm "climbing" wheels, and they barely made it 200 miles before the rear hub grenaded, and a spoke broke.

I'm sure a lot of people here can point you to the more reputable Ebay stores, or online stores for that matter.

So over built is ok, super light no good? :)

kevhogaz

by kevhogaz

The 50mm weren't over built, 20/24 spoke count, nothing special. I'd say it was more the quality of tbe builder.

nrsnow

by nrsnow

Thanks for the advice

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

froze

by froze

I'm would be a bit, no, not a bit, I'm would be a lot hesitant to buy anything direct from China, EBay or not. China does not have to play by the same rule of law that protect consumers like western countries do, and if you have a problem that can't be handled directly which case a lawyer is completely powerless. You can buy made in China rims through places like Performance and Nashbar but they are based here in the US and have to abide by consumer protection laws, but they go beyond that with a lifetime satisfaction guarantee. Now I know that they're are people that bought wheels that way and are very happy, but it is a hit and miss situation, sort of like gambling. I know the prices are enticing, but me personally, I don't want to spend $600 or so for a pair of superlight wheels only to find out somethings wrong and now I'm out $600. Again it's just my opinion, do what you feel you must.