Lightweight disc

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Dexy

by Dexy

Hi guys,

I'm new to the forum and have a question about the massively expensive but undeniable beautiful (and superlight) Lightweight Autobahn disc: http://lightweight.info/gb/en/autobahn.

Has anyone got any experience of these and can they possibly be worth the money? (£2.5k). I've got a Lightweight Sprint front wheel which I use for all my time trials and hill climbs and up until now I've used a set of cheap wheel covers for the rear. The good thing about them is that they create a pretty light disc if built on a light rim/hub combo, so good for hilly courses, but in reality it probably isn't as fast as a "proper" disc. So in a moment of madness I thought, ok, why not consider buying the very best disc you can (just about) afford?

Would be interested in your thoughts.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

kgt

by kgt

For flat races they may not worth it but for hilly tts they definitely give an advantage! See the 'pros on lightweight' thread...

Dexy

by Dexy

I do like my hilly tt's.
It'd be worth understanding more about whether mere mortals can benefit from the wheels - obviously I wouldn't be going (quite) as fast as the pros.
Also how they compare to a zipp super 9 / other competition.

Grill

by Grill

I have one. It's now broken so hopefully they'll replace it, but when I was riding it it felt nice. Currently using a Zipp Super 9 and I can't tell the difference between the two. Will the Autobahn be faster than a wheel cover? Maybe. Will you go faster as a result? Doubt it. What you should do is spend the money aero testing and on a new front wheel and you'll see real gains for far less coin.

JamieL

by JamieL

Have a look at the Citec Ultra 8000 disc. Mine came in at 735g and has been a treat to ride. A fair bit cheaper than the Lightweight (But still not exactly cheap...) and has an alloy brake track

https://www.bike24.com/1.php?content=8; ... 30;page=54

kgt

by kgt

The manufacturer claims 885gr. Are yours really 736gr?? I seriously doubt CITEC is lighter than Autobahn (780gr).

Grill

by Grill

kgt wrote:The manufacturer claims 885gr. Are yours really 736gr?? I seriously doubt CITEC is lighter than Autobahn (780gr).

It is. Have a few mates with them and they're consistently in the mid to low 700g range. My Autobahn was 803g so if someone is telling porkies it's LW.

JamieL

by JamieL

Citec claim 885g for the standard 8000, the "Ultra" version is claimed at 745g but mine and the 1 other i've seen are lighter than that.

http://www.citec.de/?cat=19&id=73

Dexy

by Dexy

Grill wrote:I have one. It's now broken so hopefully they'll replace it, but when I was riding it it felt nice. Currently using a Zipp Super 9 and I can't tell the difference between the two. Will the Autobahn be faster than a wheel cover? Maybe. Will you go faster as a result? Doubt it. What you should do is spend the money aero testing and on a new front wheel and you'll see real gains for far less coin.

I already have a Lightweight front wheel so I'm not sure I could get anything much better (and definitely not lighter). The wind tunnel would be interesting. Thanks for your thoughts, hope you get your disc fixed.

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

If you'd really like a stiff wheelset for disc brakes, why do you look at Lightweight?
Bike Ahead Road is both lighter and stiffer (not to mention a bit wider).
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

Dexy

by Dexy

Thanks for the CITEC suggestion, definitely worth looking at. They get good reviews. Thanks guys.

Dexy

by Dexy

wheelsONfire wrote:If you'd really like a stiff wheelset for disc brakes, why do you look at Lightweight?

I'm not looking for disc brakes... I'm looking for a disc *wheel*

Grill

by Grill

Dexy wrote:
Grill wrote:I have one. It's now broken so hopefully they'll replace it, but when I was riding it it felt nice. Currently using a Zipp Super 9 and I can't tell the difference between the two. Will the Autobahn be faster than a wheel cover? Maybe. Will you go faster as a result? Doubt it. What you should do is spend the money aero testing and on a new front wheel and you'll see real gains for far less coin.

I already have a Lightweight front wheel so I'm not sure I could get anything much better (and definitely not lighter). The wind tunnel would be interesting. Thanks for your thoughts, hope you get your disc fixed.

I've tested loads of wheels. Lightweights are not on the fast side of what's out there, especially when you take fork interaction into account. The only way to make them even remotely acceptable is with 20mm Records or Cronos.

Dexy

by Dexy

I do use Cronos.
But thanks, that's helpful. Although it is a fantastic climbing wheel:-)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

Dexy wrote:
wheelsONfire wrote:If you'd really like a stiff wheelset for disc brakes, why do you look at Lightweight?

I'm not looking for disc brakes... I'm looking for a disc *wheel*

"Wheels for disc brakes".... isn't that what you're looking for?
Or do you look for a disc wheel like this
http://zipp.com/wheels/super-9-disc-tubular/
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.