Easton EC90 Aero 55 anyone tried them?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

PrettyA

by PrettyA

I found a sale on these pair of wheels but I'm not sure what it would feel like riding them. I'm currently on Zipp 404 from 2013. Have any of you guys tried these before? Any long-term reviews?

Zigmeister

by Zigmeister

IDK...not many around from what I've seen. One thing, I believe that use round spokes (correction, they user CXRay), like Roval wheels.

The price is up there as well on the higher side of wheels. Shopping for some new wheels as well. Looked at these and considered them, but lack of availability, price and the non aero spokes kind of turned me away.

But if you can get a smoking deal, surely they will be solid.

Might be the "only one way to find out" method....buy them and see how they are.
Last edited by Zigmeister on Wed Jun 08, 2016 4:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Illuminate

by Illuminate

I honestly don't know where you get your info re spokes but you're wrong. They use CX-Ray's (ref: https://www.eastoncycling.com/products/ ... o55-wheels).

dvdslw

by dvdslw

Can't speak directly for the 55's but I've been on the 38's since November and they've far exceeded my expectations. I'm a heavier rider at 225lbs so these wheels are being tested at the upper end of the spectrum as far as build quality and braking are concerned with no issues whatsoever. The main reason to purchase the Easton product is the ability to run Tubeless without having to convert the wheels like all others currently on the market. No need for tubeless tape and a rim specifically designed to handle the increased sidewall pressure at the hook using tubeless tires.

If tubeless isn't for you then I'd say your 404's should perform pretty close as a std clincher setup but for me the Easton's with a set of Schwalbe Pro One's running tubeless are like a magic carpet ride. The 23mm Pro One's measure 27mm wide aired up to 85/90psi and ride like a dream. I also like the rear Echo hub, it's quietly loud, hard to explain but it sounds like a Cris King hub but slightly muted like a quiet swarm of bees behind you.

I struggled with the decision to go with the 55's or 38's for quite some time and after doing extensive research on aerodynamics vs wheel weight and how it affects actual performance for my style of riding, I decided the 38's were the right choice. I really wanted the deeper 55's though just because they look killer but the 38's weigh 200g less and have better aero numbers than 60mm wheels from just a few years ago so that's what I bought. Anyway, as you can tell I'm a fan of the Easton product and I say go for it!

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

PrettyA wrote:I found a sale on these pair of wheels but I'm not sure what it would feel like riding them. I'm currently on Zipp 404 from 2013. Have any of you guys tried these before? Any long-term reviews?

I have tubular version. I like them, no issues that i have noted.
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

Kayrehn

by Kayrehn

Just went for a trip with a half hour descent of various pitches in the rain, it brakes very well with Swiss stop black Prince. As I wrote in other threads, almost 2 years and it has been perfect with zero issues. Best thing is I'll never have to worry about preload adjustment. Lotsa deals on ebay for it somehow too.

Zigmeister

by Zigmeister

Illuminate wrote:I honestly don't know where you get your info re spokes but you're wrong. They use CX-Ray's (ref: https://www.eastoncycling.com/products/ ... o55-wheels).

Stand corrected. Article I read previously listed DT round spokes, no CXRay. Maybe referring to the previous version/iteration. Don't know.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com