Corima 32mm Wheels - clinchers

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

canoas

by canoas

Still hunting for my climbing alpine clincher wheels and summer wheels for general use in hilly area.

Corima S 32mm clinchers with Corima chrome alloy hubs and steel spokes with steel skewer, steel bearings

front 630g
rear 870g
Total weight = 1500

Corima S+ clincher with Corima carbon hubs and steel spokes with titanium skewer, ceramic bearings

front wheel 605g
rear wheel 795g
Total weight = 1400

Only a difference of a 100g, I am very surprised. Anyone know if there is a major difference in feel and performance between the two clincher wheels and any reviews of Corima hubs. will cost me an extra £500 for the S+

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

iliedanila

by iliedanila

From a physics perspective, no, lighter hubs don't make much of a difference, because the rotational weight is very close to the center of the rotation.. That's why Chris king hubs are more expensive and better than tune, for example, which are lighter..

Sent from my SM-G928F using Tapatalk

BoSoxYacht

by BoSoxYacht

For the purpose you specified, I would use Stan's Alpha 340/400 hoops. Better braking, lightweight, tubeless ready, and far less expensive than CF. They might not be the most glamorous hoops available, but they fit your needs well.

junchen

by junchen

If the S and S+ diff is 100g with one using steel skewers, and one using ti skewers, buy the S and add on ti skewers. Diff will be approximately 20-30g, instead of 100g [emoji14]

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

canoas

by canoas

iliedanila wrote:From a physics perspective, no, lighter hubs don't make much of a difference, because the rotational weight is very close to the center of the rotation.. That's why Chris king hubs are more expensive and better than tune, for example, which are lighter..

Sent from my SM-G928F using Tapatalk

Chris King hubs yes much lighter but very expensive also CK are not the lightest hubs around by any stretch of the imagination 216g for lightest CK pair. I have been thinking of a wheel build with Extralite hubs from Italy £500 for a pair, a pair of Extralite Cyber Rear SL is 182grams! Extralite are becoming a serious high end hub contender in Europe extreme high quality. Aivee hubs from France also 212g for the pair another great hub builder. CK are beautiful hubs, but their are plenty out there that are as good or better in my opinion.

32mm rim 420g x = 840g
Extralite hubs 182g
Total weight excluding spokes = 1042g
Sapim light spokes = 36 x 4.8g = 173 g

Total pair weight = 1,195 grams off 1,500g standard build
weight saving 305g :)
Last edited by canoas on Sun May 29, 2016 8:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.

canoas

by canoas

junchen wrote:If the S and S+ diff is 100g with one using steel skewers, and one using ti skewers, buy the S and add on ti skewers. Diff will be approximately 20-30g, instead of 100g

good thinking and my LBL sell for £70 a pair (£30 off) that would bring down to 1460g possibly will weigh if I buy and let you know diff! :lol:

euka

by euka

Corima hubs were an experience I will never forget. Never ever again.

junchen

by junchen

euka wrote:Corima hubs were an experience I will never forget. Never ever again.

Pls share more info please

kgt

by kgt

I am curious to hear what's the issue but Corima hubs are fine IME.

Timujin

by Timujin

euka wrote:Corima hubs were an experience I will never forget. Never ever again.

yeh mate, please share your experience in as much details please. Thanks

canoas

by canoas

I'm bringing this thread back because I still haven't decided on my new wheel set for this summer! 2016 I never decided in the end and ran my current wheel set.

I've been looking at Corima Clincher 47mm S+ now or 32mm S+. I guess 47's will be a problem in high winds, but I don't see an issue for climbing. I see most pros run 40s or 50s these days, 32's or 35's only seem to be popular in the large mountains for some reason, I guess winds on the decent. Or maybe 32's as an alrounder.

I have been reading in detail and it looks like the difference between 2016 & 2017 models is the rim width 26mm 2017 compared to 22.6mm for 2016 (a big change). Though Corima say you can run 25's on the 22.6mm. Being fairly old school I prefer to run 25's maximum, 23 or 24mm usually. What about 47mm on the rear and 32 on the front perhaps?

Comparing Comrima to the likes of Bora Ultra I wonder what wheel set would be more robust, reliable and perform better. I welcome comments and comparisons. I plan to buy next month finally!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com