Novatec Hubs - Remove Logos?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

dustinmeyer

by dustinmeyer

I ordered some Novatec hubs and was thinking that I could remove the logos from the hub body with some acetone, but that didn't work. I can't tell if the logos are under the clear coat or are some time of high grade sticker. Has anyone successfully removed the logos from a Novatec hub or have any other ideas? I'd like to avoid painting/powder coating/plasti-dipping them if at all possible.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

LouisN

by LouisN

Furniture stripper works in a matter of seconds. Wear gloves. Wipe fast.

Louis :)

dustinmeyer

by dustinmeyer

LouisN wrote:Furniture stripper works in a matter of seconds. Wear gloves. Wipe fast.

will that damage the other clear/black paint on the hub? I had thought about heavy solvents, but didn't want to ruin the finish.

glepore

by glepore

I'm pretty certain they are under clear. Ano doesn't really need clear though.
Cysco Ti custom Campy SR mechanical (6.9);Berk custom (5.6); Serotta Ottrott(6.8) ; Anvil Custom steel Etap;1996 Colnago Technos Record

LouisN

by LouisN

I'm using it on (older models) gloss Novatec A291/F482 hubs with absolutely no damage.

Maybe they put the stickers under the finish now.

pushstart

by pushstart

Acetone (nail polish remover) works fine too. I just did that to two Novatec hubs. No affect on the black.

dustinmeyer

by dustinmeyer

pushstart wrote:Acetone (nail polish remover) works fine too. I just did that to two Novatec hubs. No affect on the black.

Interesting. Acetone worked great for my stem and handlebars, but didn't do anything to my hubs.

kavitator

by kavitator

leave remover on logo for around 10minutes - logo is water sticker and remover (acetone, colour remover) will melt it. Was it down with remover.
Best is warp around paper towel with remover - acetone os not he best it is too dry and aveporate fast. Better is benzin or something close

(sorry to my english)

dustinmeyer

by dustinmeyer

Just to close the loop on this, I tried acetone, gasoline and naptha without any success. I ended up applying paint stripper with a cotton swab and the logo wiped off almost instantly. Admittedly, I was hesitant to use the paint stripper on brand new hubs, but the clear coat on the hub still looks perfect.

Thanks to everyone for your suggestions!

LouisN

by LouisN

:thumbup:

pushstart

by pushstart

Interesting. To be fair, I did have to scrub pretty aggressively with acetone, but it worked (hubs are pure black now). Good to know paint stripper works without destroying other aspects of finish.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com