El cheapo disc hubs for cyclocross wheel build (dati, circus monkey)

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

kulivontot

by kulivontot

I have come into possession of a pair of stans ztr 340 24/28 rims recently and am considering building them into a disc wheelset for my cross bike. Does anybody have any recommendations for a budget hubset? Preferably something that can be converted from quick release to thru axles at some time in the future, should I upgrade the frameset.
I'm looking at circus monkey hdw3 (which I believe is QR only) and dati m5/m6, both of which I can really only find on eBay in the US. Budget is under $250 for the hubset.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

euka

by euka

Novatec rear hub (D772SB) lasted less than 2 months of riding. First the freewheel mechanism jammed, after fixing that the bearings were finished. No pressure washing etc used. The front hub is still ok.

No more Novatec for me.

Marin

by Marin

I've had good luck with Novatec and would choose them over the listed products. Their rear hubs are a bit heavier than the lightest offerings out there though.

ergott

by ergott

I have Bitex on my disc bike. They make a real nice centerlock version now.

Asymptotic

by Asymptotic

Two cross seasons on BHS (bitex), no issues even after many muddy races. Some people burn through the bearings, but they are pretty cheaply replaced.
Norwood & Adelaide Uni CC

sanrensho

by sanrensho

I have the Circus Monkey front but went with BHS rear as I was scared off by the reports of failing freehubs with the rear CM hub. Zero issues so far with the CM front BHS rear.

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

MattSoutherden

by MattSoutherden

euka wrote:Novatec rear hub (D772SB) lasted less than 2 months of riding. First the freewheel mechanism jammed, after fixing that the bearings were finished. No pressure washing etc used. The front hub is still ok.

No more Novatec for me.

Interesting. I've been running a 771/772 pair for about 6000k on and off road and they are like new.
Snacking on carrot sticks - Where did it all go so wrong?
-
Finsbury Park CC

kulivontot

by kulivontot

Just following up. Went with the Novatec 771/772 as it was half the price of the Dati/Circus Monkey options. As an aside, does anybody know if the Circus Monkey HDW2/HDW3 set is convertible to thru axle? I bought through ebay and the sellers are less than helpful. I built a set of carbon discs about a year ago and am now trying to switch to thru axle without rebuilding the whole wheelset.

mentok

by mentok

care to share the seller and pricing?

the circus monkeys are convertible to some extent, but I have nfi where to get the end-caps. I went through the same exercise a year or 2 back and from memory I found catalogs and part numbers for some end caps but couldn't find a supplier. If you can, pop the end caps off your existing hubs and see if there are any identifying part#s.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

kulivontot

by kulivontot

Seller was carbonspeedcycle on ebay, $95 shipped. They offered the 12x100, 12x142 thru conversion kit for $30 more, I went for it so I can do full thru upgrade when I get a new frameset.