Veloflex Corsa 25mm casing failure

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Delorre

by Delorre

During today's ride on the rollers (elite e-motion), I noticed a sudden bumping feeling from the back. I first tought it was a flat, but tyre seemed OK. I continued the ride but things got worse. I shortened the ride to see what was happening and was quite surprised to see the cause. Tyres have 4500km and have been switched once between front and back:

Same thing happened on 2 places: :shock:

Does it have to do with the veloflex warning not to use those on carbon clinchers? Is it bad luck, or simply tyres that where ready to be binned? They were still in very good condition, not 1 cut, nor 1 flat :thumbup: I had planned to keep them until km 5000, luckyly it happened on the rollers and not midway a century ride next weekend :evil:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

choiboi

by choiboi

That happened to me on the trainer as well. Never had an issue on the road though, I have had them last 5000km+ no issues on carbon wheels, but once I put them on the trainer that happens
David
[b]'10 CANNONDALE CAAD10

Delorre

by Delorre

choiboi wrote:That happened to me on the trainer as well. Never had an issue on the road though, I have had them last 5000km+ no issues on carbon wheels, but once I put them on the trainer that happens

This was on rollers, not a trainer. So a lot less stress on tyres! And not their first time on rollers too;

Denavelo

by Denavelo

I've run Corsa/Master exclusively for who knows how long. That's never happened to me. Sounds like some strange force pulling the tire in a weird manner on a trainer/roller setup. I always wondered why some brands make tires for roller/trainer setups.
Rob English "Mudfoot" 29er | Focus Izalco Max | Firefly #194 Stainless XCR | Firefly #277 | Neilpryde Bura SL 11.9 | Crust Evasion Lite

kgt

by kgt

+1
There are specific tires to use on rollers and trainers. Certainly light tires with flexible cases (like the Veloflex) are not suitable.

RJKflyer

by RJKflyer

In my opinion, the only legitimate reason for a tyre failing on ROLLERS would be if you slipped off the edge of the rollers and the tyre sidewall thus contacted the outer edge of the rollers - which could quickly ruin an unstrengthened sidewall.

otoman

by otoman

Did you just flat on them recently or had they gone all the way flat after the prior usage, i.e. did you just have to reseat the bead? Perhaps the bead was not seated properly...

10% fewer kms than your arbitrary 5000km goal... Not too bad.
Age and treachery shall overcome youth and skill

Delorre

by Delorre

Thx for the replys!! To be clear, the failure happend on rollers, but fr those who don't know, Elite e-motion rollers have small wheels at both sides of the drum to prevent going of. And those wheels don't tough the tyre, but the rim, so that raison is excluded. I have to agree that those veloflex are maybe to nice to use on rollers, both the pvc drums don't seem to induce any wear an the tyre as would do the alloy drum of a turbo trainer.

@otoman : the bead was still properly seated, but i could rip the whole tyre apart by hand, there was almost no connection anymore between bead and casing. My guess is that it has something to do with supposed incompatibily between veloflex and carbon clincher, and that the failure happend on the rollers was a pure coincidence. There were some unusual vibrations from the very beginning of the ride on the rolers, prior the bumping feeling, so I suppose that something began to go wrong on the last 'street' ride before, but as the roads near my house are awfully bumpy, I didn't notice anything.

I'm back on Conti's now (Force & Attack) and ride feel is at least equal to the Corsa's, although i'm running them with 10 PSI more compared to the Corsa's. They also seem a little faster when I look at the avg speed of my last 4 or 5 rides (something like 1/4 mph higher)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

I'm betting on failure due to heat build up. When ridden on the road the wind constantly cools the tires. When ridden indoors the heat will be more difficult to dissipate.