Light Bicycle or Farsports 38m

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

ajmit3

by ajmit3

Hey guys heard good reports on both brands ? Which would you go for and why ?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ajmit3

by ajmit3

I'm a total noob but I want to keep the cost down , so Novotec hubs , or maybe dt350s , ??

sfo423

by sfo423

ajmit3 wrote:I'm a total noob but I want to keep the cost down , so Novotec hubs , or maybe dt350s , ??

Why spend $ on expensive hubs for budget rims? Novatec. Look at Carbon-cycle on the bay.

ajmit3

by ajmit3

Thanks but just want to go for those brands ...Anyone else ??

Marin

by Marin

I have both, both are good.

ajmit3

by ajmit3

Marin wrote:I have both, both are good.
How wide are they , and quality and price is similar ?

Subira

by Subira

I raced CX on a pair of LB 38mm tubs this winter, and even though I'm a relative novice builder they are still true and didn't need me to put a key to them. They were built with Sapim Race and Hope Pro2 Evo hubs.

Yesterday I just finished a set of 45mm Ushaped clinchers, again form Light-Bicycle, this time I've gove for sapim d-lights and the Pro4 hubs from Hope. These are summer wheels!

My experience with them has been good, although they can be a little slow if you order around a Chinese holiday. I'm currently waiting on an 88mm front wheel, I got them to build it as I wanted CX RAys and radial, and didn't trust myself with that build just yet.

I also looked at Farsports, but flipped a coin and went for LB, so far quite happy.

They might be budget rims to some, but I'm just learning, on my 5th wheel set build, but I know that I can recycle the Hopes for other builds whether road or mtb.

Marin

by Marin

ajmit3 wrote:
Marin wrote:I have both, both are good.
How wide are they , and quality and price is similar ?

23, 23, 25 and 25mm. Quality and price is similar.

euka

by euka

sfo423 wrote:
ajmit3 wrote:I'm a total noob but I want to keep the cost down , so Novotec hubs , or maybe dt350s , ??

Why spend $ on expensive hubs for budget rims? Novatec. Look at Carbon-cycle on the bay.

My novatec cyclocross hubs failed after 3 months of riding. First the freewheel stopped working and after that the bearings failed. Thats why.

Stolichnaya

by Stolichnaya

euka, I am not trying to be a jerk here, but cyclocross is tough on hubs and ususally a hub gives you plenty of warning before it seizes up - i.e. 'time to crack me open and give me a service' noises or friction when spinning the wheel on the stand.
I fully understand your desire for durable equipment like DT hubs for the CX application, but Novatecs are working fine for a lot of people and are pretty easy to service / find replacement parts for.

F45

by F45

ajmit3 wrote:How wide are they , and quality and price is similar ?

Be advised the LB "25mm" are actually a little over 26mm at the bottom of the brake track, which is slightly angled.

Marin

by Marin

Really? Need to check mine.

Multebear

by Multebear

sfo423 wrote:

Budget rims? They may be cheap, but the quality is very good. I'm doing my third season (mostly races though) on my 50 mm deep, 25 mm wide U shaped clinchers. And there's no visable wear on the braketrack at all.

Let me put it like this; there's is no reason to buy a wheelset, where the rim will outlast the hubs. You'd much rather build a new set of rims on used hubs, than the other way around.

F45

by F45

Marin wrote:Really? Need to check mine.

It started with the tubeless rims, summer 2015.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Marin

by Marin

It's true. Nice.