Farsport spoke tension

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

addictR1

by addictR1

Anyone know what the spoke tension should be? I have a pair of 38mm Ushaped from farsport and I haven't used it in a year.

Today went out on a climb and hear rubbing noise and looked down the rear rim rubs against my brake pad when I stand up pedaling up hill. [emoji33]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Last edited by addictR1 on Mon May 16, 2016 1:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

oreoboreo

by oreoboreo

I think I tossed the little tension sticker when I got mine. Just a thought... have you checked for anything loose in the hub? Sloppy bearings? Good luck with the search
Last edited by oreoboreo on Sun May 15, 2016 10:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Let's finish the ride with a 20% grade.

2011 Scott Addict R1 DA 7900 Matt black
2012 Scott CR1 Pro Ultegra 6700
2015 Specialized SWorks Tarmac Da 9000
2016 Specialized SWorks Tarmac DA 9100

oreoboreo

by oreoboreo

I found the original spoke tension sticker it was stuck to a shipping box. It list the max tension at 130kfg, Not sure where that is in the world of spoke tension.

Scott

addictR1

by addictR1

Yea I've lost that sticker long ago. Maybe I'll ask FS and see..

WMW
in the industry

by WMW

addictR1 wrote:Anyone know what the spoke tension should be?

Higher tension won't help unless spokes are going slack, and that is very unlikely.
formerly rruff...

oreoboreo

by oreoboreo

I am guessing a hub problem

racingcondor

by racingcondor

130kfg max is more than enough (I usually expect around 90 for the front wheel and 60-65/110 NDS/DS on the rear).

It could be spoke tension but if it is then chances are you'll be able to tell with your fingers.

Other than that it could be -
- hub,
- it always rubbed but you didn't notice,
- your brake pad clearance is much tighter than it used to be,
- you've err, 'grown' :wink:

addictR1

by addictR1

humm.. how to tell if it's a hub issue? i check the spokes with finger and some are really soft and flexy.

WMW
in the industry

by WMW

addictR1 wrote:humm.. how to tell if it's a hub issue? i check the spokes with finger and some are really soft and flexy.

The spokes on each side should have uniform tension. You can pluck them for tone. The left side will be less than half the right.
formerly rruff...

addictR1

by addictR1

WMW: ok, finally had some times to play around with the tension and it sounded funky. one the drive side.. nearly all of them sound about the same except for 2 spokes. on the non drive side, there's 4 spokes 2 on each opposite end, sounded lower tone compared to the rest.

addictR1

by addictR1

just an update.. after my last club ride.. i had to do a hard braking and hard left which skid my rear wheel slightly into the curb. after that, the rubbing got worse when i climbed.. so dropped off my farsport wheelset into my LBS to get it checked out and trued.

they were able to remove the small hop, but when they tighten 1 side, the other side will be out of true. seems the rim is warped and on top of that.. the brake track which was farsports basalt high heat treated tracks.. bubbled up. this is just after 500 miles of use. the pads i used were the one they've included.. oh well.. this is my second set of FS that had issues with brake track. :(

jrmynthn

by jrmynthn

addictR1 wrote:just an update.. after my last club ride.. i had to do a hard braking and hard left which skid my rear wheel slightly into the curb. after that, the rubbing got worse when i climbed.. so dropped off my farsport wheelset into my LBS to get it checked out and trued.

they were able to remove the small hop, but when they tighten 1 side, the other side will be out of true. seems the rim is warped and on top of that.. the brake track which was farsports basalt high heat treated tracks.. bubbled up. this is just after 500 miles of use. the pads i used were the one they've included.. oh well.. this is my second set of FS that had issues with brake track. :(

Aside from the bubbling brake track (not cool) the adjustments are as they should be. Adjusting any spoke will have an affect on both the spokes left and right of that spoke and the spokes directly opposite on the other side of the rim. Every adjustment is a balance in the correction and its affect the rest of the wheel. So tensioning one side will de-tension the other side. This is only compounded if the dish (centering of the rim inside of the rim) of the wheel is off.

But nothing can be done if the rim is completely out of whack which may be the case if it's starting to delaminate.

If you're interested, this article is about spoked motorbike wheels but the premise of any spoked wheel is the same.
http://www.theridingobsession.com/motor ... et-runout/

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com