New wheelset suggestions

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

R350

by R350

Hi.
I'm wanting to get rid of / swap my Giant SLR0 Carbon wheels. I know, they're stiff and quite light but i want something that is :

a) abit more aero and deeper section
b) under 1,600g
c) could be used also as a climber Wheelset and
d) round about the £1,200 price point.

Is this too much to ask? If not, I'm open to all suggestions.

Thanks.
Last edited by R350 on Tue May 17, 2016 12:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gmakris

by gmakris

Ritchey WCS Carbon 60mm Clinchers - are the lightest carbon clinchers @ 60mm within your budget, 1.560gr pair, climbing very well, extremelly comfy, no issues with crosswinds.
Their hubs are rolling like a dream and their pattented system can change the cassette within 10 seconds (using a second hub)

Tested them in training and racing - very impressed

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

SuperflyRick

by SuperflyRick

Always like the campy/fulcrum wheels. For tje lightness i would go for shamall/zero. Or the new fulcrum quatro carbon

mpulsiv

by mpulsiv

Here you go
viewtopic.php?t=137785

To yield extra watts from aero rims pay close attention to rim profile. At least 24-27mm wide.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Racing is a three-dimensional high-speed chess game, involving hundreds of pieces on the board.

:arrow: CBA = Chronic Bike Addiction
:arrow: OCD = Obsessive Cycling Disorder

fromtrektocolnago

by fromtrektocolnago

Dura Ace C-50. It's just barely over your weight limit. Price is right on.
Colnago C-59 (Dura Ace)
Firefly(Ultegra)
Colnago C-64 disc(ultegra) with Bora 35 wheels

mpulsiv

by mpulsiv

Dura Ace C50 isn't much of an upgrade. Take a look at rim profile. Deep doesn't mean it's aero.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Racing is a three-dimensional high-speed chess game, involving hundreds of pieces on the board.

R350

by R350

Out of all the suggestions I've came down to two sets that you guys have recommended;

Fulcrum Racing Quattro Carbon, and the Ritcheys (along with one or two other sets I was looking at).

Would both of these sets be a substantial upgrade from my SLR0's though? Can the swapping out of my Giant wheels and the introduction of some new wheels be justified, or would there be not much difference in lightness, stiffness, handling etc?

cobrakai

by cobrakai

Check out Flo, specifically the Flo 60. Their ordering is a little wonky in that they sort of have batch orders but weight is where you want and aero should be class leading. Their next order is in July. http://flocycling.com

mpulsiv

by mpulsiv

R350 wrote:Out of all the suggestions I've came down to two sets that you guys have recommended;

Fulcrum Racing Quattro Carbon, and the Ritcheys (along with one or two other sets I was looking at).

Would both of these sets be a substantial upgrade from my SLR0's though? Can the swapping out of my Giant wheels and the introduction of some new wheels be justified, or would there be not much difference in lightness, stiffness, handling etc?

Substantial upgrade? I hope you aren't naive. At least dedicate 5 minutes to understand rim profile (e.g., narrow/wide, V shape/U shape). If you don't care about aero then buy any deep dish wheel for aesthetics.

spartan

by spartan

campy bora one 35. imho best braking, build quality. wide rim. quiet freehub. 1390 real weight. no rim tape required

i have ridden enve/bonty/zipps..
Current Rides:

2023 Tarmac SL7 Di2 9270
ex 2019 S-works SL6
ex 2018 Trek Madone SLR Disc
ex 2016 Giant TCRAdvanced Sl
ex 2012 Trek Madone7

R350

by R350

mpulsiv wrote:
R350 wrote:Out of all the suggestions I've came down to two sets that you guys have recommended;

Substantial upgrade? I hope you aren't naive. At least dedicate 5 minutes to understand rim profile (e.g., narrow/wide, V shape/U shape). If you don't care about aero then buy any deep dish wheel for aesthetics.

Well im inexperienced if that's what you're looking for me to say.

in short, would the benefit from transitioning from SLR0 to aforementioned Ritchey's or Fulcrums be evident? Or would it be a minuscule improvement?

fromtrektocolnago

by fromtrektocolnago

Get wheels that allow you to enjoy the ride. Just don't expect a significant performance boost. As Eddy Merckx was fond of saying , 'Don't buy upgrades, Ride up grades. If a race is close sure a wheel can give an edge, but its not going to be life changing.
Colnago C-59 (Dura Ace)
Firefly(Ultegra)
Colnago C-64 disc(ultegra) with Bora 35 wheels

kgt

by kgt

+1
@ R350
You might prefer the new ride feel and the better looks but don't expect to be faster on you new wheels. Especially for climbing anything heavier than 1300gr is more of a disadvantage. Take into consideration as well that the higher the profile the more vulnerable to crosswinds. A 60mm wheelset is not the best choise for the mountains even if that is a modern U shape one.

mimason

by mimason

Keep the Giant wheels. I'm sure if you are itching to upgrade there are other things you can spend good money on. The Giant wheels(55mm depth right?) are much better than you think but if you really want new wheels go for it, I just would recommend to keep the Giants too and then go for something to complement what you have which would be something like sub 1500 gram aluminum clinchers like C24s or some handbuilts.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mpulsiv

by mpulsiv

R350 wrote:
mpulsiv wrote:

Well im inexperienced if that's what you're looking for me to say.

in short, would the benefit from transitioning from SLR0 to aforementioned Ritchey's or Fulcrums be evident? Or would it be a minuscule improvement?

Riders in this community comment a lot, whether it's from credible source or source. Don't rush and buy a pair of wheels just because someone replied. See chart below that will help you understand time savings from 30mm -> 45mm -> 60mm. Keep in mind that FLO rims utilize modern "U" shape with wide profile. If you throw in any other rims with traditional "V" shape and narrow profile, expect lower performance. Long story short, understand rim profile.

Source: http://www.flocycling.com/aero.php

Last edited by mpulsiv on Mon May 16, 2016 5:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.